Gen 1 rear axle Gen 2 rear brakes

have a gen 2 air locker on the ground. want to keep my LSD Gen 1 axle.
i like LSD as its a no fuss system and mitsu seems a good design.

anyway, i pulled the axle and disc from the gen 2 axle.
will it mate up to the gen 1 housing?
flange pattern is identical.
use a gen 1 axle maybe
help me out here if any of you have done this. likely use the gen 2 trailing arms too.
everyone say they are stronger

Thanks

mudraider

Adventurer
Someone on the Aussie forums did this. Best I can tell you.
Damn spell check.
sent from my pretty good Android phone

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
confusing post really. What year is your air locker from? SR '92 - '93 (perhaps partial '94) - 9" ring gear or '94 - '96 - 9.5" ring gear.

I assume you want to swap the air locker 3rd member into your Gen 1 housing? Best bet would be the early years '92 - '93, You will still need the LH (driver side N.A.) axle from the SR. Not sure the Gen 1 axle housing has clearance for the ABS ring. Guessing you want to swap the Gen 2 disks for Gen 1 drums. Might work - no idea thou.

Gen 2 trailing arms are stronger and a direct swap.

i do not want the air locker . im very content with my lsd. i want only to put the disc brakes from a 94 onto the 91 axle housing. it seems do-able and have been looking the net for others who have done this successfully. it appears to be a direct bolt on.
thx for asking

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hmm, I'm in a similar situation. I have an 89 and a rear axle off of a 95 SR. However most of us in this situation want the locker and the rear disc brakes.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

just man'd up today and did up the drum brakes like they are supposed to be done.neede to do the gx470, so i did the montee too. brakes all day.
between trips to parts house for turning and other odd errands this took most of the day.
bought reman dual pot front calipers today too. so tomorrow montee is getting new front brakes.

air locker:
i read the fsm on removing rear axle from disc backing plate on the air locker-what a headache.
im ok with drum brakes i guess.
i do have a 92 with lsd and disc.... but the car is too nice to cut up.so im putting that air locker back together and leaving it alone!

Oso

Forest Defecator
IIRC the gen 1 rear end has a 10 bolt 3rd member. Your gen 1 led should drop into any gen 2 LS axle housing if it is a 10 bolts as well. That will get you better trailing arms and stronger springs as well as disc brakes. I'm pretty sure it won't work with an SR rear end.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
There is the 92 SR rear axle that was LSD, 4.625 gears, and disc brakes...often overlooked because most folks want the air locker and the larger ring gear.

Hey, OSO!

There is the 92 SR rear axle that was LSD, 4.625 gears, and disc brakes...often overlooked because most folks want the air locker and the larger ring gear.

Hey, OSO!

yes i have one of those years but it really really nice. someday it gets a fresh motor. (3.0)
no need to cut it up.
maybe find another junker along soon.
for now the drums on my 91 are tuned up top notch.

heres a test for drum brakes.
find a paved, slippery, steep hill with rain.
now back down the hill , hit the brakes
if your front brakes lock up and skid then rear drums are not adjusted properly. my test easy to do here in the big muddy in oregon.
the other is the ebrake test.

yoke from newer montee IF you are changing axles. i was trying to retain the housing and just adapt teh disc brakes-gave up on it.

but if you swap in a newer housing then yes, i have heard a newer companion flange is in order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94