Strategies for weight management

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is all theoretical until you weigh the truck. First step: Load it up, take it down to a public scale, give them $2.50 and get a slip of paper that shows exactly where you're at. Scales are usually located at truck stops, steel yards, landfills, etc.

Once you have that number, see how close you are to GVWR. You might be surprised to find that you're still under. Bottom line: You don't know until you measure. You can also get front and rear axle weights done for a bit more.

Arclight

We have a local sand/gravel place that will give you a weight for free if you don't need a "certified weight" slip. If you do it's like $4.00. If you have a place that sells sand or gravel they might do this for you too.

Stryder106

Explorer
Please, from a physics standpoint explain us how wheel spacers would increase handling?

A wider base WILL improve stability - no question. Which one is harder to knock over: | | or / \ ? However, I have no experience with the increased load on the bearings so don't know what the trade off is. Too much width will stress many other parts, so while it may be more stable, I actually think it increases your risk of breakage somewhere else. I agree with multiple points in this thread: A trailer seems like a viable approach. Personally, there are four of us (two daughters) when we go out, but the girls are 17 and 14 - and we hike regularly and they play competitive sports so if we have to walk - they can. I consider my options from a recovery and emergency stand point and carry everything we need to get ourselves out of issues, communicate, deal with basic trauma, and survive for 3 days. We carry satellite tracker with 2-way text and SOS capability - you should consider that as a must have if you are getting off the beaten path with kids. When we started overlanding (I am a relative newbie to this), I realized that my best friends were the: drill, metal saw, hole saw, angle grinder, and welder. My next best friend was the courage to use them on my vehicle that I've owned since it was brand new in order to make it capable and viable for what we intend to do with it. Good Luck!!!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Please, from a physics standpoint explain us how wheel spacers would increase handling?
? Asking for a physics answer infers knowledge of physics. Knowledge of physics should make it obvious.
wider wheelbase, lower effective center of gravity. Greater moment arm length, Greater lateral rolling resistance.
Enough to make a major difference? Probably not. But it moves those values in the right direction.

A bigger rig would be my choice...
I'll admit defeat eventually. For now, we do a mix of off-road and overland, and I get enough pinstriping with a small rig, couldn't imagine trying to squeeze a full width rig through a lot of the local trails.

Trailer sounds like a good idea - modify the truck for more off-road and separate out the gear for longer, more back road type trips

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

petfisheric

The basic elements of the GVRW are suspension, tires, frame, driveline, and brakes. Since your Path is a uni body let's ignore that for now. If you want to improve your capacity you will need tof make improvements in each area to complement the others or you will create built in failure points. Your best bet is to go to a dedicated pathfinder site to learn what others are doing for extreme off roading instead of relearning the entire process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz