1996 Isuzu Trooper Build

Spencerwells

After months of research on expo and eventually planet isuzoo, I found a vehicle for an eventual expedition vehicle/city ride. I knew I wanted a japenese SUV from the 90s, and looking at 4runners, land cruisers and monteros, I ended up finding a deal on a trooper I couldn't pass up. I picked up this one-owner, well maintained 5 speed Trooper with 150k miles for the very reasonable price of $900 locally. It came completely stock, in fact most of the interior looked like it hadn't been touched. All I had to do to get it road-ready was replace a cracked windshield and a weak battery that couldn't take the first taste of east coast winter. I couldn't resist throwing a rack and ladder on it right away. The rack is a surco and the install was straight forward, the ladder was ordered from Malaysia and I gave it a coat of plasti-dip to match the color scheme. I'm planning on powder coating it eventually, as there's already a small tear in the plasti-dip. Next up are new wheels, tires and a lift. I've been scouring the storage thread for ideas on how to implement a sleeping platform for the rear that can still accommodate the rear seats.

IMG_6775.jpg
IMG_6776.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Wish I had a better picture of the platform, but I have a simple wood platform that is level with the rear seats when the seatbacks are folded down. I am pretty tall, so I sleep with my head toward the rear and my feet hang out over the footwell, but I am used to that in beds anyway. The platform is tall enough for a Rubbermaid tote, and I can fit a surprising amount of stuff under there.

82DATSUN4X4

HERES THE ONE I BUILT. IT WAS ABOUT $90 WITH 1 4X8 SHEET OF 3/4" MDF AND HARDWARE. I CAN REMOVE IT IN ABOUT 5 MINUTES. I CAN SEND YOU SPECS IF YOU'D LIKE.
IMG_0995.JPG

I have a 95, same rack. Do you have a link for that ladder?

Here is what I did for my sleeping platform, I basically just built the platform to be almost the same height with the back of the seats folded down. Then I removed the plastic on the backs of the seats and replaced it with plywood. I have an extension piece I slide in and has two legs to support it. With the seats forward all the way I can get a full size mattress to fit with no problem. I am going to finish it in December where the extension is hinged on the back of the seats and just folds over.

I dont have a fully setup photo, I can get one later if you like.

IMG_9859.jpgIMG_9869.jpg

Spencerwells

Got the ladder from here, shipping took about 3 weeks, but I think that's pretty much the only place to buy one. Quality is great, it really comes in handy when tying things down to the rack.
Nice platform, I'm planning to do about the same, but why did you replace the plastic on the seats with ply, just to get a flatter platform?

Had the trooper out this weekend fully loaded up, definitely need to put in some new coils before doing that again. But otherwise she drove great and even with just a futon mattress on a couple pieces of plywood laid over some crates in the back provided good shelter for two people.

Murray in N.Z.

Ive gotten 410,000 kms on my 5 speed manual 96 Bighorn so far with many more to come. Not as much bedroom as my old Toyota Surf but a bit more height in the back.

Spencer Wells, that is a hell of a bargain you got there .... does the it have an electric diesel fuel pump needing work?

Red1

HERO
Picked up a 1996 Trooper as well ~ thought the automatics 4 wheel better . . .

A Trooper with a 5 speed
should last forever
as long as you keep oil in it .

Great find .

Guess I need to be here awhile ~ before I can post picture links . . .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94