Where to park at Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco?...

harbinger808

Adventurer
I'm back again :)
So my wife has thrown out the idea of Rocky point/Puerto Penasco and we've never been. Any suggestions of where to go/park for 2nites/2days?
We are taking our 3yr and 1 yr old with us and sleeping in the RTT. Any suggestions, thoughts and/or ideas are greatly appreciated.
If this doesn't pan out, we'll just stay here in AZ and explore :)
Much Mahalo again everyone!

jsolorza

Observer
I have stayed at playa Bonita they have a camp ground and hotel, the only thing is the restaurant attached to the hotel charges about $12 usd a plate crazy.

kai38

Explorer
Playa Bonita is like a KOA, has showers, rest rooms, good sized spaces. Not campfires, security 24hrs
They don't take reservations on line you have to send them a deposit. But they might not be as crowded this time of year.
I stayed there first part of Oct its a good quick MX trip, I use to take my daughters when they were smaller they really had a good time on the beach and exploring the town with me.
If your looking for a dispersed camping site I'm not sure there any place left anymore. Condos have taken up most of the beach

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Third recommendation for the Playa Bonita. I've stayed there since the 70's, when there was no hotel. Describing it as a KOA is apt, but the beach is nice. Unless you know someone with property, it's unlikely you'll find any private places (as kai38 mentions).

harbinger808

Adventurer
My wife and I deceided that Playa Bonita is where will be staying for 2 nites. Thanks so much everyone for your helpful insight and recommendations :)
Now if this goes well, we will plan to venture off to Baja next trip out and I'll be sure to post up again for help and places to camp along the beach!

alia176

Explorer
The campgrounds are basically RV parks in Rocky Point. As long as you don't mind being sandwiched between RVs, you should be ok. Have you thought of AirBnB for that area, maybe too last min to find availability. We're doing the Air BnB again this year's Thanksgiving visit. When we visited that area last year, we drove on the beach to El Golfo and I bet we could've camped at the beach since there was nobody around. I'm not sure if camping on the beach down there is allowed or unsafe.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Hey everyone! We just got back from spending 2 fun days at the beach with my 3 yr old and now proud 1 yr old (bday Mexico trip) at puerto penasco. We took everyone's recommendation of Playa Bonita and it was simple and got the job done. We got space #2 right on the beach since no RV or camper could get in that spot.
It was a great family trip and first ever to Mexico. We will definitely be heading back again when we have the free time.
Thanks so much again for the help and advise!rockypoint.JPG

Last edited:

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Sweet! We were there last weekend. Stayed in a condo though. I would camp but the wife isn't too keen on it. I love love rocky point.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Sweet! We were there last weekend. Stayed in a condo though. I would camp but the wife isn't too keen on it. I love love rocky point.

not quite Hawaii where I grew up but it will do in pinch for my wife and I :)
my son and daughter loved being able to play in the sand and water again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles