Which 3500lb axle for a M101A1

familyof7

That is good info to have, I can fabricate the spacers (machinist) so really any size I could do. I guess I could also go to local tractor supply and get a hub to do some measuring to verify ask the spacing.

jeffwm

Anyone Keeping Original Axel and Wheels?

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the forum and bought an M101A1 a month or so ago. It is a 1968 build that was clearly used for hauling a generator (came with a 3' or so copper rod/bolt mounted inside). I kind of like the look of the old wheels, but am doing a trailer build and planning a two week over landing trip next summer and I am a bit concerned about getting a flat, etc. I know the tires on these things are virtually indestructible and you should be able to get them serviced at a truck tire shop, so part of me really wants to keep them.

So, my question is, does anyone keep the original setup or do most consider it a must to upgrade to newer axel and wheels?

As a side note, I just finished a tub off sandblasting and priming this weekend and will post a thread on the build. The plan is to do RTT on a custom frame, fresh water tank, propane tank and stove, and solar/battery all in the trailer with a custom drawer system no taller than the standard sides. I've been reading all the threads I can find but would love to hear any feedback/suggestions.

familyof7

I think most guys change axels to permit easy install of electric brakes, car matching wheels & reduce alot of weight.
As far as servicing those old Budd wheels, Some tyre shops wont deal with two piece rims.
But thats no problem, A legitimate Expo Guy does their own tyre installs & repairs anyway.

Fwiw, Budd wheels are fun to play around with. They can be installed backwards to increase track width, or with capnuts used as duals.

I agree you should be knowledge and able to do your own tire replacement. I however, would look at a modern beadlock lock wheel and match your rig. Those tires are going to be harder to find replacements then a modern radial. Plus most off-road tires are pretty good, especially if you really are only doing expo type wheeling. If yoy are looking to rock crawl then it changes a bit. But no SANE person would be dragging a trailer then.

I went with this on my M101A2/A3 and it saved a lot of weight and added more usable brakes.

Straight 3500#
60" hub to hub
43.25" spring center
Electric Brakes
Straight EZ Lube Spindle
6x139.7 or 6x5.5 bolt pattern
Spring Pads on top for 2" Springs
3" Tube Upgrade
Manual Parking Brakes

I also added spacers that converted the lug centric axle to hubcentric Mitsubishi Montero Sport wheels which are 1.5" each. I reused the shock mounts from the original axle as well as the ubolts.

I'd get it from randpcarriages dot com

pupmo

Installed my axle over the weekend. Dexter 3" 3500lb axle with electric brakes, 62" Hub face to hub face, 43.25 Spring Center to center. Using some OEM JK Wrangler wheels and 2" wheel spacers to clear the hub.
Old axle, cutting off axle and shock mount.
alxe4_zps22acrqnb.jpg

Axle/shock mount cleaned up and primed.
axle5_zpslnwohpts.jpg

New Axle ready to bolt up.
alxe3_zpsjhqfg9ho.jpg

Finished view from the rear.
axle1_zpsgpr78zzt.jpg

From the side.
alxe2_zpswnazlghh.jpg

dstock

Explorer
Nice work! The axle swap is one of the most nerve wracking parts of the build getting everything just right!

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Looking to do this swap with mine as well...I have a JK and will be running JK wheels as well....how much weight do you think the axle swap shed? Rough estimate of the axle with brakes, 3" upgrade and parking brake levers too please?

Hitchcrack, could you PM me the info on the dexter axle as well. I am pulling with a JKU and need the electric brakes.

I would suggest measuring your tub and figuring out the length you need just to make sure it works on your setup with your wheels just in case there are some differences. I had mine done 59" HF --> HF and I found out that its actually 3 to short for running 35 x 12.5 tires like i wanted to do. I am going to have to get wheels with a different back spacing in order to make this work. I would be willing to help you figure yours out if you can get all the measurements from the trailer and wheels.

HitchCrack

familyof7

What is everyone spending on axles? I requested a quote from a Dexter dealer and over $600 seems a bit much for e brakes with parking brake 3in tube etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online