Which 3500lb axle for a M101A1

pupmo

Are people using the 3" axle tubes or the 2 3/8's ones on the 3500lb axles?

I am picking a M101A1 up on Monday and I'm sorting out my options of what axle to go with.

Thanks,

Jason

RDK13

Observer
Take a look at Timbren suspension. I have M416 that I'm thinking about using them on.

I ordered a 3500lb with the 3" tube and electric brakes from my local dexter dealer. Also had it cut to the length I wanted so the offset and lug pattern match my jeep. I will be able to carry one spare and it will work all the way around. I am actually in the middle of ripping out the original and putting the new one in this weekend.

HitchCrack

pupmo

I ordered a 3500lb with the 3" tube and electric brakes from my local dexter dealer. Also had it cut to the length I wanted so the offset and lug pattern match my jeep. I will be able to carry one spare and it will work all the way around. I am actually in the middle of ripping out the original and putting the new one in this weekend.

HitchCrack
If you don't mind, could you PM me the dimensions you went with? And who you ordered it through, I'm building this one up to pull behind our JK's also.

THanks,
Jason

dstock

Explorer
I went with 3" inch 3500lb because I wanted to reuse the shock mounts from the original axle. I just cut them off the old axle and they bolted right up to the new one with the u-bolts for the leaf springs.

Also, keep in mind if you want to use JK hub centric wheels, you will need to factor in 2" spacers to the overall width of your axle. Hub-centric JK wheels won't fit over the Dexter hubs.

I went with 3" inch 3500lb because I wanted to reuse the shock mounts from the original axle. I just cut them off the old axle and they bolted right up to the new one with the u-bolts for the leaf springs.

Also, keep in mind if you want to use JK hub centric wheels, you will need to factor in 2" spacers to the overall width of your axle. Hub-centric JK wheels won't fit over the Dexter hubs.

He makes a great point, also make sure that the spacers are lug centric and not hub centric. I had to drill mine out because they were hub centric. I had to make a jig for the drill press and open it up just a bit for it to fit over the hub of the axle.

dstock

Explorer
He makes a great point, also make sure that the spacers are lug centric and not hub centric. I had to drill mine out because they were hub centric. I had to make a jig for the drill press and open it up just a bit for it to fit over the hub of the axle.

adaptitusa.com is where I got mine and you can specify the center bore of the spacer so you don't run into hub issues.

dstock

Explorer
X2 on the dimensions request. I pick my surplus trailer Tuesday and want to start the process as well.

Another thing to consider is the backspacing of the wheels you will be running as of course not all JK wheels have the same backspacing. This has to be factored in to the overall length of the axle, spacers, etc., for your wheels to end up positioned where you want them. I worry when I see people just grabbing other people's dimensions and running with them.

pupmo

I'm using OEM JK wheels with the 6.25" backspacing. I ordered a 3500lb Dexter axle with the 3" tubes. 62" HF to HF. Going to use the 2" spacers also.

familyof7

I only ask because I believe JK is 65.5 in WMS to WMS. I am not worried about overall length it's the spring perches etc that I am worried about. As it stand si intend to use 1in wheel spacers to allow automotive hubcentric wheel to mount to the lugcentric trailer hub.

familyof7

Oh and saved round I have 37in tires on my JK which require me to run a 4.5/4.25 backspacing to prevent frame rub. So as I envision it, the trailer axle will be siz in siz for factory JK minus the wheel spacers.

dstock

Explorer
I only ask because I believe JK is 65.5 in WMS to WMS. I am not worried about overall length it's the spring perches etc that I am worried about. As it stand si intend to use 1in wheel spacers to allow automotive hubcentric wheel to mount to the lugcentric trailer hub.

1 inch spacer isn't going to cut it. From everything I have seen, you need a minimum of 1.75" for a hubcentric wheel to clear the Dexter hub and that will still will require massaging of the dust cap. 2" inch wheel spacers solve that issue, which is why I used them when building my trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles