koni shocks? anyone ever tried them?

briandam

Interesting. In the google search I found one actual discussion listed in the first 3 pages. Maybe it would be more useful to post that link?

http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/479140/site_id/1#import

OP, I don't know about the Koni application for Monteros. I do know that Konis are much better than the Bilstein shocks for a 1993 BMW. But it appears the Montero Konis are pretty pricey. Koni does have a very good sale once a year, around 25% off.

mk75

Adventurer
I wont speak bad about Koni . They do ok street applications . Spend the money and buy OME ..
Old Man EMU
OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (60040)
OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (60041)

And since you already have your credit card out you might as well buy ...

OME Coil Spring (OME2938)
OME Torsion Bars (303011)

ive used koni for years on different rigs.
never on a montee.
the land rover guys sure like them ( but they would ,if its expensive right)?
so though the question pertinant.

explain to me the advantages of OME pls, over bilstein or koni or kyb. lotsa drivers use them on al the different pages. i personally have no knowledge or experience with them nor does anyone i know.

far too much time i have spent reading reviews, and not one negative on the koni ( expected i guess), but will have to mod my rear shock mount on my gen 1 to get the rear koni to fit.
bilsteins are the only other shock that many say compare to koni

Last edited:

jaccox23

Adventurer
From my understanding OME is the only option that was actually tested on the montero and not just drawn up to fit specs and sold with no history of performance. now this isn't to say there isn't a better option but OME isn't too terribly expensive and I've yet to hear a bad review on them for the montero

ome got panned on a number of forums , in comparison to the top tier stuff; bilstein , koni, tough dog; seems they do well if you are using their springs also. not so well on factory springs.
in r and d most of the shocks are valved using the advertised spring rate published by the manufacturer. the weight of the vehicle etc. when you can computer model , why waste time and money changing shocks on a zillion model/year of cars?

jaccox23

Adventurer
You asked for advantages of OME for the montero over other options. Why compare their short comings from other vehicles? They have a solid rep for the montero as possibly the best, most reliable and affordable option for all around lift and improvement to the suspension. there have been several other companies make things based solely on the "numbers" and fail while OME actually bolted it up and abused it to prove it's worth. now if I'm gonna cheap out and only bye the shocks I probably deserve to have them fail becaue I cheaped out. Why not go ahead and get the higher rated springs to accompany these new shocks I got. Because honestly why mix old with new? If I'm gonna just buy shocks for replacement I'll go with some cheap Monroe or something equivalent. BUT if I'm looking for a good lift and heavier duty springs to bring my suspension back to life I'm gonna go with the tried and true OME path. By all means there may be better options out there with combinations but OME is the "preferred" option at this time. I mean heck Adventure Driven Design said that they will not be making upgrades to suspension for a while due to the fact that OME is such a great route and option. And if anyone knows something about lift and montero's it'd be those guus from AZ

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I use KYB Gas-A-Just on all my Monteros. If I was going to spend any more, I'd go OME, but invest in the springs/torsion bars as well.

But that's not what the OP asked. Sorry 'bout that.

John B.

heavens not intending to denigrate your upgrades, my apologies.

There do exist numerous references to the mid-grade shocks not lasting or not being supported by manufacturer. just sayin' . enough comments to make me wonder either what the consumer was doing to destroy the shock, or if the co. built an inferior product..

i found not one negative comment on Koni quality or performance, but not one comment on their use under a montero.
lotsa jeep, LC, Gwagen, but no montero.

There was a build thread here written by one of the " AZ crew" and from that thread it seems , if i'm remembering rightly, i got that "cloud of tits" comment as a result of making a shock choice of bilstein over the KYB.
in looking at bilsteins and finding Koni, the original question was has anyone ever tried Koni?

this just gave me the idea that if there is no definitive answer to that question, then i should be the first out the chute and give them a whirl.

one could speculate that Koni has done their homework, and the product is superior as are all Koni products.
-worth a shot i guess.

lastly, where to quit on this search? ; there is renntech, king, fox etc. a fellow could go on forever looking at options.

jaccox23

Adventurer
I didn't mean to sound like a ************ (probably shouldn't write a post after waking up). You just asked for evidence on montero specific and then compared OME against reviews non-montero related. kyb gas adjust are popular for peeps with the factory adjustable shocks and I believe kyb is OE but the exact OE model is discontinued. like John stated it's best to go OME if you're gonna fully commit and get the whole shebang with torsion bars shocks anD springs. Koni does make quality stuff for several vehicles in all aspects of vehicle uses, but like you said it's virgin territory and rather expensive territory in comparison to OME. Just from foggy memory of the clouD of tits reference, it was toasty who said it and I believe he achieved it by altering his shock towers and retrofitting another vehicles shock onto his vehicle. I know bilisteins are very popular with the third gen crowd here and some like them and others don't care for them it's all a preference but it all boils down to use and abuse you plan to do to them

snare

Adventurer
I'd still love to find the part numbers for Bilstein 5100 shocks anyone has used with the Gen 2/2.5s

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You asked for advantages of OME for the montero over other options. Why compare their short comings from other vehicles? They have a solid rep for the montero as possibly the best, most reliable and affordable option for all around lift and improvement to the suspension. there have been several other companies make things based solely on the "numbers" and fail while OME actually bolted it up and abused it to prove it's worth. now if I'm gonna cheap out and only bye the shocks I probably deserve to have them fail becaue I cheaped out. Why not go ahead and get the higher rated springs to accompany these new shocks I got. Because honestly why mix old with new? If I'm gonna just buy shocks for replacement I'll go with some cheap Monroe or something equivalent. BUT if I'm looking for a good lift and heavier duty springs to bring my suspension back to life I'm gonna go with the tried and true OME path. By all means there may be better options out there with combinations but OME is the "preferred" option at this time. I mean heck Adventure Driven Design said that they will not be making upgrades to suspension for a while due to the fact that OME is such a great route and option. And if anyone knows something about lift and montero's it'd be those guus from AZ

I would venture to say that 80-90% of shocks on the market all use the same valving but are just built using different lengths, definitely not the case with OME as you mentioned. I love my setup and will not ever use anything else on my rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz