Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
iphone is made in china and it doesn't blow up so..:smiley_drive:

Thats only because they havent found the right battery supplier. Give it time...sooner or later they are bound to have a bad hair day ala Samsung.

I remember when a bunch of top of the line motherboards from several manufacturers started blowing up cause they all got a bunch of bad capacitors from the same Chinese factory.

Last edited:

OttawaXJ

Observer
Always buy japanese capacitors.

I can't wait to see pricing on this. Already saving for one for my ranger instead of beefing up my 2.3

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wow, this might be a dream come true for all of us that have dreamed of diesel conversions!

I wonder if their "kits" will help integrate it with an OEM computer for common swaps like the TJ, and if they will go so far as to include trans adapters, engine mounts, etc.

Bryon from Exploring Elements asked at Overland Expo East, and he was told pricing would be something like $7-$11K
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLV7cEKAmkQ/?taken-by=explorelements

-Dan

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Most (if not all) Cummins engines have adapters available from the manufacturer to the different SAE bellhousings (1, 2, 3, ...). As for computers they probably wont, not cost efficient. There are aftermarket stand alone transmission controllers available for some auto trans out there already such as for the 4L80E and Allison and others as well.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Wow, this might be a dream come true for all of us that have dreamed of diesel conversions!

I wonder if their "kits" will help integrate it with an OEM computer for common swaps like the TJ, and if they will go so far as to include trans adapters, engine mounts, etc.

Bryon from Exploring Elements asked at Overland Expo East, and he was told pricing would be something like $7-$11K
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLV7cEKAmkQ/?taken-by=explorelements

-Dan

WOW! :eek:
That would make a smoking good deal.
I have a 4BT in an old Scout 800. At that price, I'd sell the 4BT and install this. :)

Pokey

Adventurer
i cant imagine them selling many at $11k. That plus $2-5k more for tranny/ tcase and adapter cost.......would put this at $13-16k prior to install/ labor and leave this to diy crowd only which likely wont pony up.

Given the 4bt crate motors are $4500-4800. I would imagine Cummins realizes that they would be shooting to keep it closer to $5800 max if they want to capture/ create a new market segment for themselves.

heres one in Aus. for $6500au which would be around $4800 U.S
http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-2669128/Cummins-ISF-28

You will need to get it quick in early 2017.......before Trump tarriffs the crap out of them and they are $10k. ;)

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great for conversion shops

i cant imagine them selling many at $11k. That plus $2-5k more for tranny/ tcase and adapter cost.......would put this at $13-16k prior to install/ labor and leave this to diy crowd only which likely wont pony up.

Given the 4bt crate motors are $4500-4800. I would imagine Cummins realizes that they would be shooting to keep it closer to $5800 max if they want to capture/ create a new market segment for themselves.

heres one in Aus. for $6500au which would be around $4800 U.S
http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-2669128/Cummins-ISF-28

You will need to get it quick in early 2017.......before Trump tarriffs the crap out of them and they are $10k. ;)

If you listen to the media, the world will end on the first day of his presidency, just like they said it would on election night... roflol
Man, what a bunch of twats! :shakin:

For conversion shops like Bruiser, this new Cummins kit is a huge benefit, as it is to their respective customers. I'd be willing to bet they could sell faster than they could build.
I'm just shocked that Cummins could do this package that cheap. I was thinking more like $20K. At that price it would be a tougher sell. More for the high end buyer, than the average Jane or Joe. But I'd be willing to bet it would still sell well.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
For conversion shops like Bruiser, this new Cummins kit is a huge benefit, as it is to their respective customers. I'd be willing to bet they could sell faster than they could build.
I'm just shocked that Cummins could do this package that cheap. I was thinking more like $20K. At that price it would be a tougher sell. More for the high end buyer, than the average Jane or Joe. But I'd be willing to bet it would still sell well.

Considering diesel prices are so low and Cummins' price is looking relatively reasonable, I wouldn't be surprised to see this crate motor on back order causing its prices to inflate. This might be the best thing Cummins has done since their 5.9 IMO

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Its been around for yrs. Very well known engine in the marine biz. Nissan did that Frontier teaser two yrs ago with it. They mentioned a new head in that video. Chances are it had a different head because they had to de marineize it. 2yrs later Cummings is testing the market with a crate motor for vehicles.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I was hoping Cummins would do a crate version of the V8 in the Titan. That would be pretty fun. :)
But the 4 cylinder makes more sense.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It was already a crate motor overseas. They were probably trying to encourage a US market with Nissan. But its been a long time. Cummings might be getting tired of waiting to get 2.8s off the shelf. LOL

The larger 5L was co developed with Nissan so chances are it cant be sold outside of a Titan for x yrs etc.

bjunc

Observer
It's not quite an apples to apples comparison, but Ford sells their 5.0L Coyote motor with wiring harness for about 9k. AEV's 5.7L Hemi Kit is about 7.5k. I would think Cummins would need to come in under 10k to get a larger share of the motor-swap market (as if it's not niche enough already).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles