Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

LR Max

Local Oaf
Its been around for yrs. Very well known engine in the marine biz. Nissan did that Frontier teaser two yrs ago with it. They mentioned a new head in that video. Chances are it had a different head because they had to de marineize it. 2yrs later Cummings is testing the market with a crate motor for vehicles.

The engine is best known in the ROW market and is a light truck engine by design.

I think they are trying to take an off the shelf product and use it in a new market.

From my understanding, the engine will bolt right up to an NV3550...which is *actually* a pretty good setup. That is a nice, capable, compact, good manual transmission. Widely available and not marketed as a "rare" and overpriced transmission (NV4500). You can find good used ones just about anywhere, and reman units are reasonably priced. And since its a jeep transmission, your transfer case options are wide (or get an atlas and then have a fantastic powertrain).

I would say, guys coming from the 4.0, this wouldn't be much different. But from a 2.5 4 cyl, this would be awesome. I keep thinking about looking for a TJ with a blown engine, slap one of these in, and go have fun. Would be awesome in a XJ...but that is an expensive engine to dump into a vehicle I routinely see for sale for $800.

Dalko43

Explorer
2.8L Cummins + LC80 = my overlanding dreams come true.

Anyone know if the torque figures are set in stone? The 270lb-ft seems a bit low compared to other inline 4 diesels (like the 2.8L Duramax). Maybe with tuning and an intercooler, higher torque figures are available?

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
2.8L Cummins + LC80 = my overlanding dreams come true.

Anyone know if the torque figures are set in stone? The 270lb-ft seems a bit low compared to other inline 4 diesels (like the 2.8L Duramax). Maybe with tuning and an intercooler, higher torque figures are available?

Considering it is a Cummins, I bet it wouldn't be hard to get a tune to push it above and relatively close to 400lb-ft. Maybe Cummins will come out with several packages that suite people that want a little more power but I'm sure we won't know until the start of 2017.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The thing is, that Duramax 2.8 is running a crazy advanced injection setup. It's unknown how basic/advanced the Cummins 2.8 is. Think modern EFI versus TBI.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The little cummings is probably running 3rd world fuel system so probably low tech, and why the numbers are lower. J80 is heavy, and draggy beast at least mine was. I think the little 2.5 Cummings would be to small. But in a light jeep that would be interesting, but costly as pointed out.

I like it for marine applications. A nice old 20ft deep v, v berth 70's chriscraft ;-)

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
It's running the same common rail technology that all other modern diesels use, been the standard since roughly 2000. The emission systems is what gets absurd on the newer motors and hopefully this kit will be available without all those systems. That being said common rail diesels require very good fuel filtration setups so plan on 2 fuel filters.

During the ATLAS testing Cummins bumped the 2.8 ISF to over 500ft/lbs and it survived the testing, so stock numbers at 265ft/lbs are conservative.

Pokey

Adventurer
For those who need more torque and hp....they will likely bring the 3.8liter version at some point down the road since it would get in as a larger displacement 'version' of the same design/ technology as the 2.8. Apparently the only changes from the chinese versions that appear in the Fotons is the software/ compression ratios and diesel injection fluid

The main issue was getting their chinese 2.8 federalized so its 50state legal and can be sold anywhere. Apparently they use a dpf and diesel injection fluid to control emissions. (the blue crap they sell at Walmart for diesels)

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
If they can sell a computer controlled diesel engine, with full after treatment system - def, particulate traps, regen, sensors, etc, that meets 50 state emissions rules for modern vehicles -1990 and later, even just federal rules, and for under $15K plus, I will be very surprised.

The Cummin's information I've seen does not mention after treatment. The after treatment equipment is large and complex, and would be difficult to install as a universal kit.

Nothing I have seen indicates this will be an emission compliant engine for any vehicle built after 2007 with a diesel engine, and doubtful it would be allowed to be used to replace a gasoline engine in states that require emissions testing of likely 1990 and later vehicles.

I hope I'm wrong, but these are complicated and expensive systems required to make a diesel engine compliant.

Last edited:

blackdmax15

Observer
As much as i want one of these for my 05 rubi, price is what is going to sell me on this kit or make me run to find a gm v8. The video was great (watched it this morning as it FINALLY came out), but at the end the kicker was 18mpg for the diesel, 16ish for the 5.3 gm v8 and 13ish for the 4.0L. I want one for the enhanced range the diesel would provide and the torque, but i can find a 2016 gm 6.2L V8 with the 8spd transmission well below 10k. I know this is apples to oranges, but my denali XL does great on the interstate, never runs hot and has power for days in the 3ton SUV. A 2ton TJ would be ridiculous. The new 6.2L with 8sp in my dads Denali Sierra can get 22+ on the interstate and 10+ mpg towing at it's max rating (i've personally driven it in both cases). Just go on eBay and look for any 6.2L "takeout" and you'll see. I believe 10k is going to be what i'm willing to pay for this kit. We'll see when Cummins emails me with the details i requested for this kit... And another thing, a new GM 5.3 with all the accoutrements can be had for way less than a 6.2L, probably return better fuel economy AND never run hot. They are more than likely lighter too! But i love diesel more than one could imagine so Cummins better not let me down or i'll have to start seeing a psychatrist.

timh141

As much as i want one of these for my 05 rubi, price is what is going to sell me on this kit or make me run to find a gm v8. The video was great (watched it this morning as it FINALLY came out), but at the end the kicker was 18mpg for the diesel, 16ish for the 5.3 gm v8 and 13ish for the 4.0L. I want one for the enhanced range the diesel would provide and the torque, but i can find a 2016 gm 6.2L V8 with the 8spd transmission well below 10k. I know this is apples to oranges, but my denali XL does great on the interstate, never runs hot and has power for days in the 3ton SUV. A 2ton TJ would be ridiculous. The new 6.2L with 8sp in my dads Denali Sierra can get 22+ on the interstate and 10+ mpg towing at it's max rating (i've personally driven it in both cases). Just go on eBay and look for any 6.2L "takeout" and you'll see. I believe 10k is going to be what i'm willing to pay for this kit. We'll see when Cummins emails me with the details i requested for this kit... And another thing, a new GM 5.3 with all the accoutrements can be had for way less than a 6.2L, probably return better fuel economy AND never run hot. They are more than likely lighter too! But i love diesel more than one could imagine so Cummins better not let me down or i'll have to start seeing a psychatrist.

remember all of the mpg calculations were based on a 95 mile trip that included wheeling in low range...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles