Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

Kinger

Observer
Lol the pricing on this is unreal if it pans out as posted. For any vehicle that's likely in need of a new engine I'd just assume buy a new one as opposed to spending that amount on a repower kit. You're really going to put that in a TJ when you can LS swap for buy a new 4.0 for a fraction of the cost? Really??

FWIW - one of the tuners doing work on Colorado 2.8 turbo diesel lost the motor (while beating on it with a sequential turbo set up) and I think they got a brand new 2.8L TD from Chevy for $6K. Seems a lot more reasonable.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
$6K for a replacement long block is a long way from a complete repower setup with all the equipment to make it run.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

MuleShoer

Adventurer
"You really going to put that in a TJ when you can LS swap for buy a new 4.0 for a fraction of the cost? Really??"
YEP
This is not just a TJ it is a Brute
Regarding the Colorado 2.8 TD my understanding it is a "duramax" 2.8
Yes one could swap in an LS or Hemi if you want a gasser. The LS 3 is about the same in cost while the 5.7 Hemi is slightly less. again we are talking all new parts.
What none of the gasser options will give you is economic performance.
As the say the devil is in the details so I guess I will find out as I am on the list for an engine

Last edited:

Kinger

Observer
$6K for a replacement long block is a long way from a complete repower setup with all the equipment to make it run.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

I know I know. I was being a little dramatic. The cost is still quite absurd IMO but I understand the real expense is in the details and supporting pieces.

And to MuleShoer - I wasn't addressing any particular person, more of a rhetorical question that was posted with a little more aggression than intended. Anyway, looking forward to some of these getting out into the wild.... maybe cost will come down in time.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
"KINGER" its ok you are correct the cost is nuts, it is not a rational decision.
The problem with modern engine conversion perception is the legacy of the chevy small block cost = cheap. I am still working on my FJ 40 4BT conversion and cost will exceed this project. I expect the total cost for the 2.8 engine and conversion parts to hit $18000, AC pieces are stupidly expensive. But when its done it should exceed expectations...i hope

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Thought I would leave this here
Screenshot_20170919-133038.jpg
Fred Williams is currently traveling with Tubesock (the 2.8 swapped TJ that drove under water for 30 minutes and busted the Cummins oil pan) and Cummins reps so this could be a nice breather for some people

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Wow for $9k it becomes a serious option for alot of small/mid size rigs...
Personally I will have to wait for the 5L or such for my 8000lb Suburban

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
The only issue I have with this option is that it is a new diesel, not the tried and true engines. Like the 4BT or the OM617. With the 2.8 you still have an ECU and all that fancy electrical stuff that leaves you stranded. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The only issue I have with this option is that it is a new diesel, not the tried and true engines. Like the 4BT or the OM617. With the 2.8 you still have an ECU and all that fancy electrical stuff that leaves you stranded. Just my two cents.

Just depends on what you plan to swap it in. 4BT is fantastic but can be an absolute pain in the rear to make work right on something like a Jeep or smaller SUV. The 2.8 is already proven as well, been offered overseas for several years now.

There is also the argument people make saying an LS swap is a third of the price which can be true sometimes but again in depends on what you want. I don't want horsepower, I want stupid low end torque and a butt ton of mpgs for my toaster on wheels

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'd swap the 4BT for an R2.8L

I have a 4BT in a '71 Scout, it works great, and overall I'm very happy with the swap. But at $9K delivered, I will pull the 4BT, sell it, and put the R2.8L in, as long as it can mate to the 4L60E currently in the Scout.
Here are the personal reasons I will do this:

1). Quieter
2). More power, less smoke (for off road that is really important to me, especially when traveling in groups)
3). DOC reduces the smell of the exhaust (again for group travel, and in campgrounds)
4). 250+lbs lighter, for a lower more centered CG (really important in the big rocks, and off camber), and less impact on the trail
5). Less under-hang for better clearance with the front axle center section. This means the engine can sit lower.
6). More compact size, allows for more "stuff" under the hood. Like a Power welder, Air Compressor, Manifold Burrito Cooker
7). No hassle emissions compliance
8). Warranty

I have less concerns about electronics, than I do mechanical systems with moving parts. Cummins has been using similar ECMs in road going diesels, for a couple of decades now.

In the pictures below, you can see how much room the 4BT takes up. I have 3" of body lift, and will be going up another 1/2" when fabricating the new body mounts for the frame. Overall the R2.8L is a nicer package for smaller engine compartments. I could probably drop that body lift down an inch or more using it.

Picture 1). Right after setting the engine in place. No turbo, because I had to swap exhaust manifold to make it fit
Picture 2). How the turbo install went, which sits it over the valve covers.
Picture 3). The overall install. Everything is serviceable, but kind of bulky
Picture 4). The inevitability of dealing with old engines. I had to reseal the Injector pump due to leakage in the head cap, and have the injectors service. After all that I ended up sending it to a pump shop, because the automatic timer failed, and created too much internal pressure, causing the input shaft seal to push out, filling the crankcase with diesel fuel. Had them tune the pump for more power at the same time.

Attachments

• Hood_insulation.jpg
    Hood_insulation.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Engine-Compartment.jpg
    Engine-Compartment.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 4BT-installed.jpg
    4BT-installed.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Bosch-VE-460424055.jpg
    Bosch-VE-460424055.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 49

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Manifold Burrito Cooker

Scratch everything because this is all that matters now:sombrero:

I can see what you mean though, the 4BT definitely makes everything quite cozy in there. Nearly too cozy. The only thing I question is whether or not Cummins is offering just the engine for $9k or the entire kit. When they first brought up the crate engine program they really made it sound like they wanted the kit to be in the $8k-$10k range so I am hoping that is what this is.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'm a firm believer in the hot lunch program. :)

A complete engine with ECU, throttle, harness and O.E. compliance sticker is what I'd be looking for too. :beer:
I figure it will probably run an extra grand to adapt the SAE bell housing to work with the 4L60E. Which would put it right at my limit of $10K to make the change.
Over that, I'll continue to enjoy the 4BT, and just stay at the back of the "conga line." ;)

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
I talked to the Cummins guy at Expo West - they had all those new engines just sitting there - and he said they'd throw in the pallet and the plastic wrapping FREE!!

What more do you want from life???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94