Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

2000LJ

Observer
Hearing rumors that TAV (tactical application vehicles) here in NM will be receiving a few soon for their shop to test. One will be going into an 85 Toyota pickup I believe and another in a fj40.
I think they would both be epic, especially because the 2.8 makes nearly twice the TQ that the 22re did.

This thing in an old Toyota 4x4 would be money...

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Heard a recent update from a guy on Wrangler Forum who met with a few Cummins guys at EJS this year. They are currently not allowed to reveal the pricing just yet but hinted at the pricing likely landing between $12k-$15k. Even though it was a long shot, I am a little disappointed that the kit isn't closer to the $8.5k-$10k range. That being said maybe Cummins was just pushing that guys buttons to help keep the pricing a secret but again, likely a long shot.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
It may be a "new engine" but when you're a normal guy wanting something for your old Jeep CJ5 it's not going to be doable if the cost is high. I'd like to see this in the 8 grand range.

Well, I'd like to see it in the 2 grand range, but that'll never happen...

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Still no pricing. Cummins must be caught up in some of the EPA diesel nonsense.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

spikemd

Explorer
Light, torquey, efficient, whats not to love? Yes, many people can't stomach the cost, but this is a brand new engine not some junkyard pull. I want one for my Defender! A 200/300tdi used motor with rebuild will cost me about $8K so I would pay a few thousand more for a brand new engine with twice the power. As cool as the LS motors are, I want an overlanding vehicle, not a a horsepower monster. The normally aspirated 2.5L diesel from LR in mine has 68 hp and 114 ft-lb torque (not kidding!). With a new engine, it will be a much better vehicle.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
I'm hoping for the 8-10 price range as well, at that price I'll definitely be putting one in my disco. Anymore and I'll consider buying a defender

RoyJ

Adventurer
8-10k lol no way. A re power for my 12hp diesel is around 6k installed. For a 180hp 2.8 it's going to be 18-20k.

Specialized marine units are apples to oranges vs road going diesels.

I can spend thousands more on a 60hp racing kart engine than a 300hp 350 Small Block Chev...

justbecause

perpetually lost
Switching from a gasoline V8 to the Cummins ISV5.0 V8 diesel significantly reduces your cost of operation, as diesel fuel economy is typically 20-40% better than a V8 engine of comparable performance.

source https://cumminsengines.com/isv?#overview
Cummins has also put out some videos from RV shows pimping their 5.0 as a replacement for v10 gas engines.

To me that reads like the 5.0 is going to be a crate motor. I called my local Cummins dealer and they said no that they only sold replacement engines for factory options.

Has anyone been given different information from Cummins? The repower might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but a 4 banger isn't going to do what I need. Based off user reviews the XD isn't my huckleberry either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles