Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Cummins Reveals "Repower" Diesel Crate Engine Program at SEMA 2016

Scott Brady: With a new line of crate motors, Cummins will make all of our turbo-diesel dreams come true. In particular, this 2.8L CRD is amazing and will be right at home in your favorite Jeep, Land Rover, G-Wagen, or Land Cruiser.

cummins-r2.8-turbo-diesel.jpg

Wonder what it uses for emissions compliance? Could be a nice option for a number of overland vehicles.

An article with more details: http://www.trucktrend.com/events/se...wer-diesel-crate-engine-program-at-sema-2016/

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I'm considering that I should start saving up so I can swap this little monster into my TJ. Hopefully the engine vibrations are not too excessive compared to the 4BT, would rather not have to go too overkill on the beefing up for the drivetrain and frame.

frank6772

I'm considering that I should start saving up so I can swap this little monster into my TJ. Hopefully the engine vibrations are not too excessive compared to the 4BT, would rather not have to go too overkill on the beefing up for the drivetrain and frame.

I don't believe it will be anything like the 4BT. From what I read, this is the engine that was tested under the ATLAS program, with the intention of being fully emissions compliant through 2025.

https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-announces-results-of-atlas

https://cumminsengines.com/repower

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's interesting news from the Cummins Repower web page:

"Initial testing with the R2.8 installed into an otherwise stock Jeep Wrangler TJ demonstrated that the vehicle not only gained higher peak torque, but the amount of accessible peak torque across the RPM band also increased. In addition to the performance gains, preliminary testing indicates that the R2.8 more than doubled the fuel economy of the Jeep – in some real-world drive cycles, even tripling it – all while meeting the Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle (TLEV) LDT2 vehicle emissions standards of that particular gasoline engine vintage."

Doubling or tripling the fuel economy of the TJ with six cylinder gas engine sounds interesting. Transitional LEV is a California emissions standard for vehicles weighing more than 3700 lb and made through model year 2003.

On the emissions question, Cummins says

"Certification work is underway using the California Air Resource Board's (ARB's) Executive Order process to ensure that any Cummins Repower engine sold has clear guidelines as to the specific vehicle classification and vintage for which it is qualified to be installed."

In other words, the emissions issue has not been settled for California. "Guidelines" means it's up to the owner to supply the correct emissions equipment and tuning.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I wonder if it's related to the Cummins ISF engine that is fitted to the Foton range of utes, as I can't imagine them making another engine that is exactly the same displacement as one they already have in existance.

Here's the details on it from the Foton website, and here's some details from Cummins themselves and more info here on the same engine. Power is very similar and so is torque, whilst the bore and stroke are identical. The only difference seems to be compression ratio (16.9:1 in the SEMA motor, 17.5:1 in the ISF motor)

NJLDMM

Funny you should mention the Foton ute range, as I thought the exact same thing when this was posted.

I haven't seen any pricing on this engine, however the Foton dual cab ute is only $30k here in Australia. Most dual cab utes are between $15-25k more expensive so it might indicate that the repower kit will be affordable.

BTW my inlaws are looking at buying a Foton ute based primarily that it has a Cummings engine. Anyone have any experience with them?

Cheers,
Nick.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
The only thing I know is that the ISF motor is a Chinese Joint Venture rather than being a fully blown Cummins engine - ie it's made in China by a partner company to Cummins rather than Cummins USA/Europe/Australia.

Clicky here for more info on that.

WEK207

The only thing I know is that the ISF motor is a Chinese Joint Venture rather than being a fully blown Cummins engine - ie it's made in China by a partner company to Cummins rather than Cummins USA/Europe/Australia.

Clicky here for more info on that.

The Cummins employee that I spoke with at Overland Expo East did not like it when I started to ask about the Chinese connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles