Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

AxisIndustriesUSA

We have a couple fun little builds going on, I will start a build thread here shortly. We have been swamped here lately but this is the new Cummins r2.8 in a JK-8hp70, LJ-nsg370, and we have a custom TJ-4l60e stretch with fully fabricated housing and coilovers with all the goodies. The engine tranny combo is of a ZF 8hp70 out of an eco diesel.
Engine-6.jpg
Engine-2.jpg
Engine-Bay.jpg
Engine.jpg
Offroad-Expo.jpg

broncobowsher

Adventurer
That 8-speed ZF is a nice transmission. How are you controlling it with the Cummins engine? If I could get those two mated AND WORKING together that would make for a sweet retrofit package. The only thing I have against the 2.8 now is finding transmissions to mate to it.

AxisIndustriesUSA

That 8-speed ZF is a nice transmission. How are you controlling it with the Cummins engine? If I could get those two mated AND WORKING together that would make for a sweet retrofit package. The only thing I have against the 2.8 now is finding transmissions to mate to it.

We are controlling it, we are actually removing the jeep ECU and making our own gateway module for the Cummins engine, Jeep gauges, and 8hp70 to talk to each other. Gonna be a pretty cool conversion!!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
We are controlling it, we are actually removing the jeep ECU and making our own gateway module for the Cummins engine, Jeep gauges, and 8hp70 to talk to each other. Gonna be a pretty cool conversion!!

Wow, that's cool.

I can't wait to see what kind of mileage the 2.8 gets in the JK, and how well it can move it around !

-Dan

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I guess someone has to be first here so why not. This afternoon I purchased the engine from cummins and expect shipment mid October.
I decided against doing the conversion myself due to time constraints, the reality that I am still working on my 4BT / FJ40 conversion that turned into a total body off rebuild...ugh, weeks for a conversion sounded better then years and the brute warranted a top notch conversion which I believe will happen.
So the Brute will go up to AXIS Industries USA for the conversion
below is a current photo

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 59

MuleShoer

Adventurer
What will you do for a transmission?
It will be the NSG 370 6 speed. I am debating whether to rebuild it with new bearings and syncros ( parts are about $650+ $600 labor) or buy a new one for $1650 ( if I can trust the trans dealer)

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dirt Every day just put this on Facebook, so it must be official

21616038_885923964890579_5619131302273480499_n.jpg

All things considered, I think that's an extremely good price for a brand new 0-mile engine.
Surely it comes with accessories a computer and a harness.... I can't imagine they would make you pay more for that b/c you have to have it.

-Dan

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Yes it comes with every thing engine related, wire harness; Engine computer; pedal etc. It will be up to the specific application to then determine what additional parts will be needed such as engine trans adapter; intercooler; etc.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Yes it comes with every thing engine related, wire harness; Engine computer; pedal etc. It will be up to the specific application to then determine what additional parts will be needed such as engine trans adapter; intercooler; etc.

Does it come with all the accessories like alternator, A/C, P/S pump, starter ?

-Dan

justbecause

perpetually lost

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Does it come with all the accessories like alternator, A/C, P/S pump, starter ?

-Dan

Dan per Cummins it includes
• Complete front-end accessory drive (Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Fan Hub, Serpentine Belt)
• Cam-Driven Vacuum Pump
• Remote Fuel Filter/Water Separator
• Remote Oil Filter
• Mass Airflow Sensor and Housing
• Engine Wiring Harness and Engine Control Module
• Starter
• Flywheel
• Universal Vehicle Wiring Harness
• Throttle Pedal
• J1939 CAN Dash Display
• Owner's Manual
• Installation Guide
• Cummins Quick Serve Online Access
• Emissions Testing Information

Pete

RoyJ

Adventurer
Where's all the nay-sayers saying no way under $10k!

Great job on Cummins for offering this at a reasonable price.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Only 500 kits available for 2017

Just got an email from Cummins. They are putting 500 engine kits out for sale this coming Friday morning (September 29th).
email didn't say the price. But that is all of this kit they are doing for 2017.

Hope this info helps someone in dire need. My need isn't dire, so I'll wait and see how the first batch works out. Looks pretty complete. :)

"I'm Steve Sanders, Program Leader for Cummins Repower™ – the new crate engine business of Cummins Inc. which is bringing the R2.8 Turbo Diesel to market.

I've personally communicated with many of you on this distribution list over the past few years while we were crafting this program. We share the same passion and addiction for unique, reliable, and most importantly - fun personal transportation. I couldn't be more excited to announce that the start of sales is finally here!

We have worked feverishly since our announcement at the SEMA Show in 2016 to ensure that our first crate engine we bring to market doesn't disappoint. To show our appreciation for each of you who have eagerly and patiently been awaiting this day, we wanted to give you all an exclusive heads-up and first chance to buy before our press release goes on the afternoon of September 29.

We are limiting quantities for 2017 to 500 engines so if you urgently need an engine, be ready to act quickly on Friday, September 29 at 9 a.m. Eastern at www.CumminsRepower.com. The only way to buy a Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel will be through our website so be sure to secure yours as early as possible!

You're not just getting an engine. Our team is made up of Enthusiasts just like you so we know how disappointing it can be to open a new box of toys only to find out that you have to do homework and order more parts to make it work. We are essentially providing everything you need to start your engine with the exception of a battery, cooling package, and of course, diesel fuel!

Our kit (PN 5467046) also includes:
Complete front-end accessory drive (Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Fan Hub, Serpentine Belt)
Cam-Driven Vacuum Pump
Remote Fuel Filter/Water Separator
Remote Oil Filter
Mass Airflow Sensor and Housing
Engine Wiring Harness and Engine Control Module
Starter
Flywheel
Universal Vehicle Wiring Harness
Throttle Pedal
J1939 CAN Dash Display
Owner's Manual
Installation Guide
Cummins Quick Serve Online Access
Emissions Testing Information
I look forward to following each of your Cummins Repowers, hearing your impressions of our new crate engine, and telling us what you want us to do next! If you aren't quite ready or we sell out, don't worry - we're ramping up supply as we speak for 2018!

Very Respectfully,

Steve Sanders
Program Leader – Cummins Repower™
Cummins Inc."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier