Single drawer build & rear organization system

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've had some better success with 3M's 'heavy duty' double-stick, it's grey with a red backing. It's pretty tenacious and heat tolerant. But take advantage of gravity anyway, if you can.

/Black Suburban in SoCal.

60Dan

Explorer
My time is divided between this and my FJ45 project ... anyway got the monstaliner on, came out really nice ...

mon2.JPG

mon1.JPG

mon3.JPG

mon4.JPG

mon5.JPG

mon6.JPG

60Dan

Explorer
Progress ...

Got everything re-assembled, tailgate storage lid on

lid.jpg

drawer.jpg

drawer2.jpg

Also added an anderson plug to the rear of the box for the fridge. The wires will be run to the second battery up front allowing me just to plug the fridge in when needed.

power1.jpg

power2.jpg

60Dan

Explorer
Complete ... for now

Everything is in, I'm really happy with how it all turned out!

I leave for a 2 week camping trip to the ozarks soon so the fridge cage and the electrical side of things will have to wait

organization1.jpg

organization3.jpg

organization2.jpg

I'll post some action pics when I get it loaded up and out in the woods!

ab1985

Explorer
Looks great, Dan. I'm a fan of the single drawer. Sorry to hear we'll miss you at GSMTR but looking forward to pics of the Ozarks trip.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks real good, congrats. A little finer texture in the roll-on finish and it would look totally 'factory'.

Did you use a regular paint roller or something like this -

9da86b1a-e30f-4b42-bf1c-57126094b460_300.jpg

60Dan

Explorer
Looks great, Dan. I'm a fan of the single drawer. Sorry to hear we'll miss you at GSMTR but looking forward to pics of the Ozarks trip.

Thanks Dan! Yeah the timing just didn't work out at all for GSMTR this year. Have fun send me pictures!

Very good work.
How did you apply the Monstaliner?

Hey Bbasso, the key to it is a good undercoat so the Monstaliner doesnt soak into the wood. I used Chassis Saver as an undercoat - its what the pros like Trekboxx use so I figured why not! No sense it doing all that work only for the finish to look like crap so I went the extra mile. Apply 2 coats of Chassis saver and lightly sand between coats. Scuff the final coat slightly so the Monstaliner has a good surface to grip to. Lots of work but it was worth it.

I used the supplied rollers to put it on. My advice is to buy a couple extra. You can only do one side at a time (obviously), but once the monstaliner starts to set up during the 2nd coat bits of the roller start to come off requiring a change.

60Dan

Explorer
Looks real good, congrats. A little finer texture in the roll-on finish and it would look totally 'factory'.

Did you use a regular paint roller or something like this -

9da86b1a-e30f-4b42-bf1c-57126094b460_300.jpg

Thanks. I used the supplied rollers from Monstaliner to get the textured finish.
I prefer the bumpy texture look at it covers all manner of sin from my woodworking "skills!"

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Just checking back in man, wow! You did awesome bro, very inspiring. I am thinking of doing one wide flat drawer on the bottom for firearms and a double stack of drawers to one side and the fridge on the other. Your craftsmanship looks fantastic. Anything you'd change after playing with it for a bit? I know you want to add a cage over the fridge and I do too since all the camping gear falls around it whenever it gets extended.

60Dan

Explorer
Just checking back in man, wow! You did awesome bro, very inspiring. I am thinking of doing one wide flat drawer on the bottom for firearms and a double stack of drawers to one side and the fridge on the other. Your craftsmanship looks fantastic. Anything you'd change after playing with it for a bit? I know you want to add a cage over the fridge and I do too since all the camping gear falls around it whenever it gets extended.

Hey man sorry I haven’t checked this thread in a while.
Thanks for the compliment — coming from you that means a lot ??

The drawer has been great. It’s deep and can carry a lot of stuff. I don’t think there is anything I would change at this point. I would like to add a cargo rail to the top to strap things down I think.

Did you get your drawers started?

60Dan

Explorer
The project went on hold for a little while, but I’m attending 100s in the Hills this summer and have been re energized to finish the original list.

As we all know when camping you can never have enough light, work surfaces, and shade/rain protection.

I’ve added some lights to the rear cargo area which I think is going to be a really neat addition.
2 very low draw LED 4” work lights I picked up from west marine.
I recessed the switch behind the rear hatch handle so it wouldn’t get accidentally turned on if things shift around in the back.
Ran the wires inside the trim, across the headliner and down into the side wing of the drawers.

Next step will be wiring it to the blue sea fuse block 309B32FC-70EC-4036-BBF2-BEFC47DA278D.jpeg15855230-3FA9-4AED-B58D-0374778FC683.jpeg41268857-5C3A-4D39-9B54-76D7BEF9D9A6.jpeg3E5774C2-60D3-41DC-BDEF-3AFD9AE84C10.jpeg5137030C-B475-4042-BFAE-1ABC244FD812.jpegAA1276C9-DB90-4C54-B522-FAB3B8C1CE8E.jpeg

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Nice upgrade. I decided to make a magnetic strip LED light with a long pigtail that I can move around the vehicle as necessary but I really like what you did with the lights over the tailgate. I always thought that'd be the ideal spot but I didn't want to mess with routing another set of wires through the factory door loom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles