Cannondale carbon frame made in China?

wesel123

Explorer
So I have a question that I can't seem to get a straight answer on. I just picked up a new 2015 Jekyll Carbon 2 (it was on clearance at REI). In looking at all the info I could find BEFORE I bought the bike, every thing I read indicated that the frame was made in Taiwan. Although in looking for the Registration number on the bottom of the frame it has a Made in China sticker.

Should I be worried? First off I try not to buy anything Chinese made as I worry about what happens when the quality control people from the company are not around. I've had a TON of Taiwanese bikes over the years but nothing made in China. Am I being to paranoid? I LOVE the bike and the price was crazy good, but I do not want to worry about how long this bike will last.

Let me know you thoughts.

jschmidt

Adventurer
Today, most Taiwanese companies use Mainland China for manufacturing. If you're concerned about quality control, they are probably the best people to watch over it.

BTW, back in the 1970s and earlier, "Made in Japan" was a way to make fun of something.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
There are many very good companies in China. I have visited about 10 different small and medium size factories that manufactured Plywood, Upholstered furniture, Hardware and of course our factory that manufactures truck bodies. All of them blew my mind! Not only did they have higher workplace safety standards that I have ever seen, they also have huge veggie gardens for the workers. In other words, the factories are very well run and the workers are happy. The quality was also outstanding in all of those places. Does that mean I would trust every chinese product? No, for sure not. But if I can see that a company is well managed, I would not hesitate buying from them.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
There are many very good companies in China. I have visited about 10 different small and medium size factories that manufactured Plywood, Upholstered furniture, Hardware and of course our factory that manufactures truck bodies. All of them blew my mind! Not only did they have higher workplace safety standards that I have ever seen, they also have huge veggie gardens for the workers. In other words, the factories are very well run and the workers are happy. The quality was also outstanding in all of those places. Does that mean I would trust every chinese product? No, for sure not. But if I can see that a company is well managed, I would not hesitate buying from them.
It's been explained to me that the Chinese are happy to make as good or as poor of a product as you want. Apple, Nikon, Texas Instruments, Intel, NXP (Philips) have plants in China, so many high end things are made there. I don't know that they are universally safe or pay attention to quality and there's seems to be a very serious question about recognizing intellectual ownership. But the quality can be fine and jschmidt is probably right, if anyone could watch over them it would probably be a Taiwanese company like Giant or something.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. This forum in particular is a little funny because I've watched as many people chime in about "never buying Chinese products," and in the same thread will rave about high cachet brands with fabulous reputations, which make their goods in - China.

I have scads of Chinese made bike products. The manufacture's name plays more into my faith in a product than its place of manufacture.

wesel123

Explorer
Thanks gents good to hear.

Finally got out to ride the Cannondale and just didn't love it. Seemed as though the fork was raked out to much and suffered from a wicked "flop". Returned it and picked up a Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 6Fattie. Hoping this is the ticket. Thanks again guys for the insight.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That's a bummer. Slack angles are a popular thing, and the Spec should have them as well. Stem length factors heavily into that "tiller" and "fall" effect you speak of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier