Cold weather clothing....

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I don't go anywhere potentially cold without my neck tube / gaiter - still using the same two I bought surplus 20 years ago, I think they were "SAS headovers"?

Something about having my neck warm and the top of my top layer sealed from drafts is as important to me as not having a draft at the waist, or wet feet :)

doug720

Expedition Leader
^^^Say's the guy from the Florida Keys - Average January Temp of 70f...Talking about cold!:wings:

Rando

Explorer
I still find that I prefer a quality synthetic base layer (like capilene from Patagonia) over wool for doing anything active - skiing, backpacking etc. It still seems that the synthetics wick and dry better than wool. That said, the problem with the higher quality synthetics is that they physically last a long time, so I end up wearing them long past when they should have been retired for olfactory reasons.

If your activity is mainly sitting around the camp fire on a chilly evening, cotton is fine, but if you are actually out in the wilds on foot, cotton is a bad idea.

perterra

Adventurer
I still find that I prefer a quality synthetic base layer (like capilene from Patagonia) over wool for doing anything active - skiing, backpacking etc. It still seems that the synthetics wick and dry better than wool. That said, the problem with the higher quality synthetics is that they physically last a long time, so I end up wearing them long past when they should have been retired for olfactory reasons.

If your activity is mainly sitting around the camp fire on a chilly evening, cotton is fine, but if you are actually out in the wilds on foot, cotton is a bad idea.

Agree completely, there are many better options than cotton, just not a death fabric.

Cold like hot is a relative term, I supplied a job in west Texas with a crew from Maine, I mentioned one morning it was cold, they quickly informed me that 38º was not cold as they worked in shirt sleeves. 90 days later I dropped in about 4 pm, they were shut down. Swung in the next morning and connected with them, told them I missed them the day before, they just as quickly informed me that 95º was too hot to work in, unbearable heat and they were about to fall out. I didnt mention 95 wasnt really hot.

Nomad1

Observer
if your clothes are damp wool or cotton or caribou skins from working and getting over heated change to all dry cloths before bed or you will have a miserable night being damp and cold...
Layers Rule! clothing made from Caribou Skins Rule! Wool rules! but dont rule out cotton..
I also have sheep skin (not wool) pants and jacket and I get overheated at -40c doing nothing but sitting in the cold yes its that good an insulator.
Caribou Anorak is awesome too leave outside and in morning before putting it on just brush the frozen moisture from the day before out in the morning.
I am a very cold sleeper down sleeping bag and down comforter from the old country is the only thing that keeps me warm enough at night.

This planet is overpopulated with mosquitoes.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^^^Say's the guy from the Florida Keys - Average January Temp of 70f...Talking about cold!:wings:

Ha - yeah, that was just the last time I spent more than a couple weeks somewhere - Key Largo :) Done plenty of winter hiking and camping in my day though.

Actually used to rock cotton :Wow1: bdu pants over synthetic long underwear or fleece pants all the time in the serious cold - liked the wind protection, abrasion resistance, and non-meltiness near flames, with toasty insulation underneath. Now the cheap surplus bdu's have turned into Fjallravens haha

Gofastpops

Merino wool is amazing.

I raced bicycles in winter (a racing style called cyclocross) and merino wool base layers work extremely well. I've just about given away all my fleece outerwear at this point and have become very fond of wool shirts & sweaters from thrift stores (the folks at Goodwill are practically on my Christmas card list now).

DzlToy

Explorer
Thanks for the input so far. re: merino and it's cost, I'd rather be broke than cold/miserable. Also, learned awhile back to buy quality gear and keep it for awhile vs wanting to upgrade.

Take advantage of the NZD being in the toilet and buy their Merino to save a few bucks and get a top notch product. I made quite a few purchases from AUS and NZ over the last year and saved a bundle.

It is THE base layer to have, in almost all weather conditions. It keeps you warm in the winter and comfortable when it's cool or even mild.

I wear Merino socks year 'round and have no problems with sweating in my boots or my feet getting hot. I have -30 Arctic wool socks that I use hammock camping into the teens with a Merino base layer on to sleep in and I am warm in a 30*F bag.

For outerwear, I use a heavy fleece, also from NZ. The pants and a jacket were not cheap, but it certainly pays to buy quality gear that I will have for the rest of my life. They are warm, robust and naturally water repellant without chemicals.

I purchased a Merino hat (beanie) and Merino glove liners as well and they have both been fantastic. If the Merino hat bothers you. get a fleece hat from http://www.themouseworks.com/rolled-beanie-hat.htm

I will be moving to waxed and/or oiled outwear over the next year and ditching all of my synthetics with the exception of the NZ fleece purchased less than a year ago.

Stay away from Gore-Tex in sub freezing temperatures. The moisture will collect on the inside of the jacket, the Gore-Tex pores will freeze and clog and you will have a layer of cold moisture on the inside of your jacket. Merino wicks moisture away, even when wet and cold.

Cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles