Honda 250 Rally Small Adventure bike

Philp100

Observer
And they just don't seem to understand that most of the people in this market really want the 450 instead of the 250.

Sent by pure magic

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
I called the dealer, and placed a deposit, the day I saw it.

I'd rather have a 450, but the 250 will do just fine until that day comes...

bhguy

Observer
And they just don't seem to understand that most of the people in this market really want the 450 instead of the 250

According to most of the industry's trends lower displacement is getting way more popular then larger. All of the majour players are pumping put smaller bikes, i remeber when a 250 was a big bike . I dont recall anyone saying the 250 were sluggish, then there were bikes like the yamaha 426 and they were a bear to pull around the track and trail....bigger isnt always more fun.

Just a thought

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Wife is just swapping from a Yamaha XT600 to a Yamaha WR250R as the 250 is 50kg lighter, and she's only 5'.

Just beceause the lads can ride a big bike (I'll get the XT) doesn't mean they're the only customer.

Another friend has a Suzuki DR650 his and hers combo - admittedly the Hers is on a lowering link, whilst his has a "I ate all the pies" spring in it.

jkam

nomadic man
The modern 250's are pretty nice but they weigh so much. You'd think that they would find ways to make bikes lighter these days, but they just keep heaping on the pounds.
I'm a fan of air cooled bikes for adventure travel, now you can't find air cooled bikes very much as the need to meet stricter emissions forces the use of water cooling.

I'll keep my Super Sherpa, thank you. It will run forever, weighs less than most modern fuel injected bikes and is a lot easier to work on out in the bush when things go wrong.
I've been tempted by the new bikes a couple of times, when you ride one, it's hard not to want one.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
The problem that it's a 250L with a fancy fairing. It's all well-and-good, but it's about as "rally" as the rally sticker on the back of a Geo Metro.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The problem that it's a 250L with a fancy fairing. It's all well-and-good, but it's about as "rally" as the rally sticker on the back of a Geo Metro.

Agreed. I think it is more likely to just cannibalize sales from the 250L rather than selling more bikes. The Versys-X seems to fill the small ADV bike niche better. But I suppose Honda didn't want to use a twin or a bigger motor for fear of cannibalizing CB500x sales. I'd much rather see it with a 400-450 single or even a 350 twin. They certainly win on style points though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles