Riding northern Patagonia, in the early season.

zolo

Explorer
In an effort to get some action here in the Expedition Portal motorcycle section I wanted to share some images from rides here in northern Patagonia.
These were all taken last month, early season. We had a good week without rain and good temps. These images are from the Los Lagos region of Chile. We based out of Puerto Varas and rode all the area south including the second largest Island in Chile Chiloé Island.
(The largest island of Chile is Tierra del Fuego, shared island with Argentina)

Enjoy, Ride, Inspire!!

IMG_0133.jpg

Chiloé Island. My buddy Curt getting some alone time. Likely thinking this is awesome...

IMG_0039 - copia.JPG

On the road to the top of Volcan Osorno. Group shot over looking Lago Llanquihue and Osorno.

DSC00655.JPG

A road almost impassable by seasonal rains, Chiloé Island. We made it though with a bit of pushing and some throttle.

IMG_0065.JPG

Volcan Osorno

IMG_0172.JPG

The road to Cachamo, crossing the Rio Petrohue as it flows into the Reloncaví Estuary. Very special place and one amazing route including a ferry crossing of the estuary later in the day.

IMG_0182.JPG

Chileans love the BBQ, Cooking two steaks over an open fire for us.

IMG_0198.JPG

Wind swept trees near Frutillar, a small town with a heavy German influence.

IMG_0127.JPG

Night out, a local restaurant opened up just for us in Cucao Chiloé Island. Amazing food and drinks. It was great because the lodge we stayed in that night was right next door. Pushed the bikes from one parking area to the other after our feast.

IMG_0059.jpg

Just a fun photo of our Mosko Moto bags. These bags are amazingly stout and well designed.

zolo

Explorer
DSC00551.JPG

A slight oversight on fuel. Siphoning fuel from one bike to another.. My bad guys.

DSC00604.JPG

Overlooking Penguin beach, this place is cool. You can take a short boat ride out to the rock islands and see penguins messing about doing penguin stuff.

IMG_0176.JPG

A lucky shot of a typical Chilean Huaso, (cowboy) They don't say Gaucho in this area. That term is used more in Argentina and very far south of Chile. You can always tell the difference between them by there hats. Huasos use a large brim hat and Gauchos use a sort of beret with a little ball on top...

edit black and whiteAdj.jpg

Here is a Gaucho, this photo is from a different trip i took earlier in the year with the Cruisers.. You can see the hat is much different.
If you want to read more about that trip go here. I had an article published in Toyota Trails. http://tlca.org/toyotatrails/2016/0506/html5.html#page/29

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
Well I hope the few folks who read the moto section enjoy. There is a trip report in the adventure section. A buddy is writing that one. Over all the riding here is pretty amazing. Such a unique part of the world.

xplrn42

Adventurer
Excellent post! thank you very much for the writeup and pictures.

Looking forward to reading the tlca article as well.

zolo

Explorer
Excellent post! thank you very much for the writeup and pictures.

Looking forward to reading the tlca article as well.

Thank you and you are welcome. I want to keep up with this thread and keep adding new photos of the area and all my rides.

Should be fun!

zolo

Explorer
Looks like a really fun trip!

(Yeah, this section of ExPo is a little dead...)

It was a great trip and my buddies really enjoyed riding here. I live here full time. I get to ride these roads and the south of Chile and Argentina whenever time permits!

Yes this section is a little slow, but maybe we can change that and post some nice things here even all those the Tacoma owners would like. ;)

jkam

nomadic man
Brings back fond memories for me. I went to TDF in 2001, going through Chiloe on the way down, it is indeed a special place in the world.
Carretera Austral was one of my favorite places to travel, so diverse and at times pretty challenging.

zolo

Explorer
Brings back fond memories for me. I went to TDF in 2001, going through Chiloe on the way down, it is indeed a special place in the world.
Carretera Austral was one of my favorite places to travel, so diverse and at times pretty challenging.

Excellent, and congrats to you for making the ride. It is indeed special.

I love it here and the riding here just adds to the appeal. So much to see and explore and its always different.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
It was a great trip and my buddies really enjoyed riding here. I live here full time. I get to ride these roads and the south of Chile and Argentina whenever time permits!

Yes this section is a little slow, but maybe we can change that and post some nice things here even all those the Tacoma owners would like. ;)

I'm a little jealous!

That looks like such a beautiful part of the world. I plan to make a trip down there....eventually.

zolo

Explorer
I'm a little jealous!

That looks like such a beautiful part of the world. I plan to make a trip down there....eventually.

Haha, yeah its pretty sweet down here.

We actually run a small Adventure Riding tour company here. www.motopatagonia.com based out of Puerto Varas Chile.
If you ever want to come ride here or make a trip here and incorporate some riding into the trip let me know. I can make that happen.

I'm not sure the rules of the forum for plugging my business but I think this is a pretty mild post. I'm also trying to become a forum sponsor anyways so hopefully the moderators will let it stand.

Cheers!!

zolo

Explorer
More photos from last weekend. The flowers are now blooming around the volcano, its been great weather.

Attachments

• 20161203_103118.jpg
    20161203_103118.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20161205-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20161205-WA0007.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 7

jkam

nomadic man
G'day zolo.

I read about an earthquake today down there.
Hope you are OK and can give us an update on conditions there.

Safe and happy holiday to you and yours.

Jay

zolo

Explorer
Yes I woke up to a trembling house Christmas morning... On the Island of Chiloé they certainly had some issue. Road destruction and several houses faulted. But over all it was not as damaging as you might expect. 7.7 is strong but Chile builds for these types of quakes. Chiloé is the second largest island in Chile. It was at the very far south of the island but I felt it at my house on the main land 2 hours north.

They had tsunami warning but no tsunami, which posses a big threat. Over all I am glad there was no major damage.

Thanks for checking in! See you on the road!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles