Flip Pac on a 2016-17 Tacoma?

tacollie

Glamper
I didn't notice the taper until I took it off and put it back on but a lot of people don't like the fit. I don't know if the 3rd gens taper. My 09 has the short fin but the later trucks(2012+ I think) have the tall fin.

On a side note and off topic I say be skeptic about going auto. I was open to it at first but I really miss the manual even for a 2gen.

Clutch

<---Pass
I had to "trim" the shark fin on the roof of my 2nd gen to clear the flip pac, and the taper does look a little odd until you don't notice it anymore.

Yes, I needed to trim the shark fin in order to accommodate the Flippac.

Thanks

On a side note and off topic I say be skeptic about going auto. I was open to it at first but I really miss the manual even for a 2gen.

Don't think I could do an auto for my personal vehicle. We have a Trooper as well, that she drives mostly, it is an auto...occasionally I'll drive it...don't really care for it. It always feels so good when I jump back in my truck with the stick.

The new shiftable autos aren't bad, think the novelty would wear off quick, end up never using it. Since I hang onto my vehicles for a long time, a manual is a lot less costly to repair when it is out of warranty. I drive about 24,000 miles/year...new truck would be out of warranty rather quickly.

I despised the loss of the internal tie down rails in my Tacoma so I had a riser made that gave me attachment points again. Afterwards I realized that I could also fit a small cab roof rack so I'm certain that with a similar riser one wouldn't need to modify their shark fin antenna. Having the L-track on the outside has advantages as well but I think for most will prove to be excessive.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DVexile

Adventurer
My FlipPac on a 2015 DCSB clears the shark fin but the bed side caps are still on (this is the standard way FRP did installs). It is close though so I wouldn't be surprised if you removed the bed side caps like AT typically did for their installs that you might have an issue with the shark fin.

EDIT: Now I notice discussion is on the 2016-17 which could of course be different from my 2015 2nd gen.

Clutch

<---Pass
I despised the loss of the internal tie down rails in my Tacoma so I had a riser made that gave me attachment points again. Afterwards I realized that I could also fit a small cab roof rack so I'm certain that with a similar riser one wouldn't need to modify their shark fin antenna. Having the L-track on the outside has advantages as well but I think for most will prove to be excessive.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My FlipPac on a 2015 DCSB clears the shark fin but the bed side caps are still on (this is the standard way FRP did installs). It is close though so I wouldn't be surprised if you removed the bed side caps like AT typically did for their installs that you might have an issue with the shark fin.

I could simply put my Wildernest on it, don't have to worry about the shark fin at all then.

Though this guy's looks a little butchered to me, think I would fab up a riser out of aluminum bar or steel tube to go over the bed cap similar WanderinWhitlows.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61380-justinhw-s-2006-Tacoma-Reg-Cab-4x4/page4

pequabw

Hi Tacotu3sday! I just bought a new 2017 Tacoma and getting ready to move my flippac from a first gen tacoma. How did you trim the shark fin? Can you post a picture with the tailgate and window closed? Sweet set up! Thanks

pequabw

I had a riser made that gave me attachment points again. Afterwards I realized that I could also fit a small cab roof rack so I'm certain that with a similar riser one wouldn't need to modify their shark fin antenna.

Hi WanderinWhitlows! I like this riser idea to avoid having to modify the shark fin...who made the riser for you? Thanks!

MacFlippac

Hey WanderingWhitlows, how did you end up securing your Flippac to the truck if you took away the factory rails? I have seen guys use those to bolt the Flippac on, and I have also heard of the FRP factory install being through the top of the actual bed sides. Only problem with that is I don't see a way to access the underside nut without drilling an access hole through the plastic bed sides, which will need to be resealed.

I'm picking up a Flippac this weekend in Oregon (I'm in SoCal) and am stressing a little about how to make the trip back down with it!

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Hey WanderingWhitlows, how did you end up securing your Flippac to the truck if you took away the factory rails? I have seen guys use those to bolt the Flippac on, and I have also heard of the FRP factory install being through the top of the actual bed sides. Only problem with that is I don't see a way to access the underside nut without drilling an access hole through the plastic bed sides, which will need to be resealed.

I'm picking up a Flippac this weekend in Oregon (I'm in SoCal) and am stressing a little about how to make the trip back down with it!

I removed those plastic bed sides and put down 3 layers of bulb seal, the flippac bolts directly into the accessory tracks on the side of the bed:

Flippac prep by Jim Bob Barnett, on Flickr

The flippac I&#x27;m buying by Jim Bob Barnett, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94