Flip Pac on a 2016-17 Tacoma?

Clutch

<---Pass
Will a Flip Pac fit on the 3rd generation Tacomas? The new style tailgate has me wondering if it will.

2016_toyota_tacoma-pic-5070744546517795751-1024x768.jpeg

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
At best, the Flip-PAC liftgate seal might rest on the thicker top surface of the 3rd Gen tailgate, but not seal great. At worst, it would be pretty easy to make a new Flip-PAC rear window assembly to lay over the top few inches of tailgate and make a seal. For the 3 Gen, a piece of high density foam cut to match the curve of the tailgate might be needed on the inside of the lower aluminum window frame piece. I say this based on now owning a 3rd Gen, and having previously made a new window for my FP out of sheet Lexan and the original frame and hinge, when I had my T100. It took a few hours and worked out well. That FP wouldn't fit my Taco so I sold it with my T100.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks dman.

I found a bulb/trim seal from Uni-Grip, that I used on my Wildernest, I am guessing that will work. Had some left over when I replaced the lid seal. Use it up the bedsides to seal the tailgate, and also use it on the rear window. Worked out fairly well.

Guessing, the fit won't be perfect, but I could get it to work.

tacoluv

Observer
Long live Flippac

I am so glad to see this kind of question. I believe the Flippac will be recognized as iconic in overland lexicon. Mine is on a 1st gen but am struggling with getting something with more amnesties for future trips. But I keep looking at the big rigs and remember all the Colorado trails we covered with the same abandon as a Jeep rented in Ouray.

Clutch

<---Pass
I am so glad to see this kind of question. I believe the Flippac will be recognized as iconic in overland lexicon. Mine is on a 1st gen but am struggling with getting something with more amnesties for future trips. But I keep looking at the big rigs and remember all the Colorado trails we covered with the same abandon as a Jeep rented in Ouray.

*thumbs-up*

I have Wildernest on my 1st gen now...sure it has hardly any amenities, but love all the out of places it has taken me. Eventually I'll probably go the full on camper route...but just not yet. The better half has been getting on me to buy a newer truck, it is getting long in the tooth, we don't trust it anymore. The past 6 weeks, the fuel pump, clutch, and rear diff went out. She said to me, maybe it is time you retire that old truck and get a new one. Finally got off my butt, went and test drove an ACLB with the 4 cylinder today, had plenty of pep for me...actually surprised me a bit from all the flack the 2.7 gets.

I could make my Wildernest work, but it will look pretty cobbled on a brand new truck. I like the AT Habitat, but don't want to pay $10K, nor do I like that it flips to the rear of the vehicle. So that leaves the Flip Pac...they are hard to find, but not too high in price.

Do have a line on lowish mile 1st Gen, that we are going to look at this weekend, plus the Wildernest will swap right on over...so who knows???

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
With Sway Away making new Torsion bars, I tell people that like my setup to look for a used Flippac, buy a new T bar, and build it. I followed some threads on here and ended up fitting in a hidden toilet, 7 gallons of pressurized water, fridge, Ark Pak, storage, etc.. I think the look of a Flippac on a new truck still works, but it might "date" the truck a bit.
413A46CB-4F60-4EE7-9033-9DA7FDA4C1C9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Clutch

<---Pass
With Sway Away making new Torsion bars, I tell people that like my setup to look for a used Flippac, buy a new T bar, and build it. I followed some threads on here and ended up fitting in a hidden toilet, 7 gallons of pressurized water, fridge, Ark Pak, storage, etc.. I think the look of a Flippac on a new truck still works, but it might "date" the truck a bit.
With the new torsion bars and Canvas Replacements being able to sew up new tents, can breathe a little bit more life into them.

Looks department I don't care too much, as I think the new Tacoma is kinda ugly. Would swap my Wildernest over, however that camper is a little small for the bed....too much cobbling to get it to work.

Question: will the Flip Pac fit the first gen? Did they make them smaller early on, or are the all the same? We are looking at all options. Kinda hoping the 1st Gen I am going to look at tomorrow works out, as that is my favorite version of the Tacomas. Even found an US HiLux with a 3.4 swap...might go look at that. Keeping the current Tacoma with the Wildernest too.

austintaco

Explorer
They did make them for 1st gens, and I think that for the 1st and 2nd gen they are the same cap. Mine was mfr before 2nd gens came out, so it's made for a 1st gen. Are you looking for ex cab or double cab? I also believe that they didn't have too many forms, so the same cap for a 5' bed Tacoma fits a Frontier, a Colorado, etc....
SLO makes a really nice rain fly for them.

Clutch

<---Pass
They did make them for 1st gens, and I think that for the 1st and 2nd gen they are the same cap. Mine was mfr before 2nd gens came out, so it's made for a 1st gen. Are you looking for ex cab or double cab? I also believe that they didn't have too many forms, so the same cap for a 5' bed Tacoma fits a Frontier, a Colorado, etc....
SLO makes a really nice rain fly for them.

Thanks.

Looking for another extra cab. Since we don't have any need for rear seats, and like the 6' bed, so we can sleep with the top closed if need be. Prefer manual trans...but will say I did like the new shiftable auto in the 3rd gens, it is like the best of both worlds. Actually a little surprised that I liked it.

tacotu3sday

Like @dman93 said it's pretty easy. I trimmed the aluminum on the bottom of the window assembly and made a seal for it, it's now sitting on top of the tailgate.

.jpg

dman93

Adventurer
^^^ Looks good. I see a few Flippac's in Santa Cruz, I think my old one is now in Pleasure Point and I saw one on a silver Raptor a few weeks ago, but haven't seen your's. I'll keep an eye out. Glad to hear it fit with minor work!

tacollie

Glamper
You will probably need to modify the shark fin on the roof.

I had my first Flippac on my first second gen but it did fit my first gen. I ended up selling it to a friend with a 92 Toyota pickup. They look the worst on the 2 gens because the bed tapers.

Clutch

<---Pass

tacotu3sday: Did you have to modify yours?

I had my first Flippac on my first second gen but it did fit my first gen. I ended up selling it to a friend with a 92 Toyota pickup. They look the worst on the 2 gens because the bed tapers.

Good to know, I wondered if it fit on the first gens...we aren't totally sold on buying a brand new truck...just yet. Might just get another first gen, since that seems to be my favorite era of Toyota trucks.

inter17

I had to "trim" the shark fin on the roof of my 2nd gen to clear the flip pac, and the taper does look a little odd until you don't notice it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles