Keeping it simple -02 Tacoma "build"

rickashay

Explorer
Super clean and functional build. Although I do not know if I would call it "simple" anymore! haha More impressively is that you have as many adventure photos as you do truck mods... awesome that you get out and use it.

bkg

Explorer
Well after our trip we decided that we would much prefer a RTT over our ground tent. I lucked out and found an All Pro Apex bed rack on Craigslist!

View attachment 396950
View attachment 396951
View attachment 396952
View attachment 396953
View attachment 396954

It will take a while to save up for the tent I want but that will give me time to plan out bed storage and where I want to mount stuff on the rack. If anyone actually reads this I'm curious to hear ppl's opinions on if bed supports like this are needed to keep the bedsides from wanting to spread?

View attachment 396955

Just trying to decide if it would be best to fab something like that up for long term quality or if its just a waste of time and space. Thoughts?

I think part of the issue is the comparison of the 1st gen's steal bed vs the 2nd gen's plastic. I'd argue this additional braces are a wise move on the 2nd generation bed... But probably overkill for the 02.

04dblcab

Observer
652bc12103d2825572cee8020baed868.jpg

On my way to looking like you! 150 bucks for the camper!

pnw_chris

Observer
Super clean and functional build. Although I do not know if I would call it "simple" anymore! haha More impressively is that you have as many adventure photos as you do truck mods... awesome that you get out and use it.

Thanks! I still consider is pretty simple compared to some of the builds on here. Getting out and using it is the best part of building it. I'm not throwing time and money at it for instagram fame like seems to be the trend now days..

I think part of the issue is the comparison of the 1st gen's steal bed vs the 2nd gen's plastic. I'd argue this additional braces are a wise move on the 2nd generation bed... But probably overkill for the 02.

That makes me feel better. I have a brace across the front but will probably leave the tailgate area alone. I couldn't figure out a clean way to do it that didn't take up premium bed space.
652bc12103d2825572cee8020baed868.jpg

On my way to looking like you! 150 bucks for the camper!

That's a good deal! Looks like where I started out but you have a limited!

Updates to come... Making a drive this weekend to go camping and also pick up something big... Stay tuned ;)

pnw_chris

Observer
We drove over to Bend bright and early Saturday morning to pick up our tent at CVT. I had dealt with them before when we got our awning and they continued to be extremely helpful and professional. They installed our Mt Shasta Standard Stargazer Summit on the bed rack and we were off to explore the desert! I spent about 4 hours "trying to find a good camping spot" when in reality I was just having to much fun mobbing around the back roads and trails. The added weight on the Dakar leafs really improved the handling characteristics and helped to smooth things out. I think I may need to get an AAL though because it was sagging a fair bit fully loaded with gear. Found a perfect off grid camping spot:
IMG_2841.jpg
IMG_3048.jpg
IMG_2978.jpg
IMG_3001.jpg
We got rained on but it never leaked :snorkel:
IMG_2896.jpg
Aired it out back at home the next day, starting to get a hang of setup and tear down (don't mind the latter angle in this pic, I had just got it unfolded)
IMG_3049.jpg
IMG_3057.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke