Aerostar 4x4 van

donaldcon

Adventurer
3f1b569891dd8034c188190c59b22018.jpg

95 aerostar electronic 4x4 extended van. 4.0 v6 auto trans.

Not going to get real crazy but plan is to swap.in a manual.shift case with low range.
Couple of inches of life and some mini mud tires.

The rest will be a build as I go deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I've wondered why these aren't more popular. I don't know much about the 4x4 system other than it doesn't have low range. Then again, neither does an Astro van's.

donaldcon

Adventurer
They work much like the 4x4 in the escapes. Auto turn on with slippage. It's true 4wd but no low range.

You can bolt a ranger tcase in same as u can an s10 case to an astro.

However... Very short lived. Not 4x4. Glad it was only $600.
I know better but being it was advertised as such I never even thought to verify. Probably becuase I was so smitten by it. I bought it last night in the dark and drove it home. Now that I think about it hatch should be labeled electronic 4x4 and it has not such badge so I should have caught it Called the guy a little bit ago and he doesn't believe me that it is only 2wd. So I'm taking it back and showing him myself. He was a younger Korean kid fresh out of college and his dad bought it from a car lot and was told it was 4x4. I feel dumb, and I'm sure he will feel dumber tomorrow

bhguy

Observer
They are not popular because the van is loud and sluggish. They are economical but not alot of creature comforts or fun to drive. We used to run them as service trucks, those transmission shift patterns are deplorable.

bugeyetex

Observer
That happened to me once with an old Subaru. Tailgate said AWD, but was from another car. Bummer was that I had already bought the AWD Transmission to replace the burnt up one in the car. Live and learn.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

donaldcon

Adventurer
Yeah not a big deal. I took it back.tonthe guys house yesterday showed him it wasnt. (He seriously though it was front wheel drive that kicked rear axle in) his proof to me it was 4x4 was the rear axle.

After I explained it is red and if it was 4x4 would have front axles, diff, drives haft, tcase etc he offered to refund the money and take it back.

Stand up guy in my book. And I truly believe he had no idea

Heading Out

Adventurer
The auto trans in the Aerostars are very weak, and expensive to replace, so most have been scrapped by now.

However, I have heard there is one with a Taurus SHO V6 and a manual 5 sp. swapped in somewhere around here on the central coast of Cal.

Good luck with your project.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
The auto trans in the FORDS are very weak, and expensive to replace, so most have been scrapped by now.

However, I have heard there is one with a Taurus SHO V6 and a manual 5 sp. swapped in somewhere around here on the central coast of Cal.

Good luck with your project.

fixed it...replaced so many ford autos...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles