How to heat a RTT for a 1-year old?

harbinger808

Adventurer
We had the same concerns on our trip to Mexico last week when we were in our planning stages. Our 3yr old and about to be 1 daughter both kick off any cover they have while sleeping.
My wife and I decided to make our own sleepingblankets from ripstopbytheroll. It was cold enough that there Patagonia MicroD blankets were used on them but sure enough they kicked them off since we had to wrap them up in them. But the sleepingblankets... they never knew it was on them :)
I recommend them or others like rumpl or the nemo blankets!

We had the same concerns on our trip to Mexico last week when we were in our planning stages. Our 3yr old and about to be 1 daughter both kick off any cover they have while sleeping.
My wife and I decided to make our own sleepingblankets from ripstopbytheroll. It was cold enough that there Patagonia MicroD blankets were used on them but sure enough they kicked them off since we had to wrap them up in them. But the sleepingblankets... they never knew it was on them :)
I recommend them or others like rumpl or the nemo blankets!
Thanks! From the looks of it we're probably going to go with some type of sleep sack/suit thing.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Thanks! From the looks of it we're probably going to go with some type of sleep sack/suit thing.

if you or your wife can sew (wife for me) look into that company i mentioned. you can essentially make whatever sleep sack/suit thing you want. Main reason we went with them since we could alter the insulation to suit our needs and not what most manufacturers think/say you need. My wife was sold on the color combos we could make up too which was fun for our 3 yr old :)

if you or your wife can sew (wife for me) look into that company i mentioned. you can essentially make whatever sleep sack/suit thing you want. Main reason we went with them since we could alter the insulation to suit our needs and not what most manufacturers think/say you need. My wife was sold on the color combos we could make up too which was fun for our 3 yr old :)
Will do. How important is it for ripstop rather than just a normal insulated fabric?

shirk

Not RTT specific.

We stuck our little guy in a full fleece suit over his warmest sleeper then he went into in insulated sleep sack. The fleece suit has fold overs to cover his hands, the sleep sack is the type without arms. A toque on that and he was plenty warm.

If it was going to be colder we'd have pulled out his down suit. It has fold over feet and hand coverage. Our down suit is Columbia, I think I've seen similar from The North Face and Patagonia.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Same issue with my kids, they won't have any blankets on them while sleeping. Dressing them in snow suits, jumpers and hats and gloves is the easiest most of the time.

I've used a little buddy heater inside before, in the instructions it says it only requires 6 sq. inches of ventalation, and I'm sure the RTT can't seal up tight enough to be an issue. But I still don't trust leaving it on all night so I'll cycle it on/off whenever it starts getting real cold and leave some of the windows cracked in addition to the wall vents. It heats up the tent really quickly, almost too hot sometimes.

If I lived in an area that was much colder, i'd probably consider one of those external zodi heaters, but just putting more clothes on is a lot cheaper.

I don't know if the interior of the RTT stays any warmer than a ground tent, but it's definitely comfortable because the mattress is much thicker and covers the entire floor vs sleeping pads with gaps in between. That's important if your kids roll around in the middle of the night like mine. So it does make it FEEL like it's warmer.

Jelorian

Adventurer
I can't vouch for this method as I didn't do it myself so take it with a grain of salt. On one camping trip, my buddy and wife had a 1 y/o with them. They lined the area where the baby was going to sleep with strategically placed hand warmers and then put a comforter over it.

I didn't hear the baby all night and her parents seemed to think it worked out great.

Since it would be an overnighter you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I use a Heat source heater for my RTT. Works great while others freeze I am toasty inside. Not cheap but work great.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
How warm does that keep it?

Warm enough to keep comfortable down to 15° and not want to get out of bed in the morning.:)
I dont run it all nite, it has a timer. I normally hit the heat button just before bed time, if I wake up cold during the nite I hit again and early morning just before getting up.

Warm enough to keep comfortable down to 15° and not want to get out of bed in the morning.:)
I dont run it all nite, it has a timer. I normally hit the heat button just before bed time, if I wake up cold during the nite I hit again and early morning just before getting up.
How much battery does it use?

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Do you have some photos of how you have this set up?

I do, will have to look in my files. I mounted the heater inside a tool box so I can close it up to keep it protected. I run the hot air tube in the hinged side of the tent. The heater has a thermostat so you can maintain some type of temp inside of the tent. Adventure Trailers sell a complete set up, Might even call up Mario and ask them. I think they might still have a video of the heater in action.http://store.adventuretrailers.com/categories/HEATER/

Attachments

• PIC_0592.JPG
    PIC_0592.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 37
  • PIC_0587.JPG
    PIC_0587.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member