• HEATER.jpg
    HEATER.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 271
  • HEATER 2.jpg
    HEATER 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 273

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Each of my 3 kids all camped in sub freezing temps before age 1. We had a down one-zee (sp?) from Columbia that could be totally sealed up by pulling sleeve flaps over their hands and feet, it also had a hood. They slept on their own pads, over and under a blanket. Never one complaint. They slept like... well, babies ;)

One of these...
http://www.backcountry.com/columbia...HkPvCRwnkqLmwCyfW0miEaAsSX8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

SUBLBLDO.jpg

green73brc

Observer
I do, will have to look in my files. I mounted the heater inside a tool box so I can close it up to keep it protected. I run the hot air tube in the hinged side of the tent. The heater has a thermostat so you can maintain some type of temp inside of the tent. Adventure Trailers sell a complete set up, Might even call up Mario and ask them. I think they might still have a video of the heater in action.http://store.adventuretrailers.com/categories/HEATER/

We do this same thing. Family of 6 and have been down into the 20's many many times. Cant keep the kids in sleeping bags as the flail all over the place. I made my own version for under a grand. It was super expensive but it really opened up more options for us to be able to camp.

I also put in a return line to help with effectiveness.

WILLD420

Observer
A sleepsack is a good start. We had to put our little guy in a set of thick footie pajamas and a snow suit with some winter socks for his bigger sisters. That kept everything except his nose warm and he learned to sleep with his face cuddled up with us to keep that warm.

A tent is kind of a bad way to have a kid sleep unless they are pretty wind proof. Little guys need some warmth or they will get sick on you at the drop of a hat. If you have a camper shell, I'd say that might be warmer than a tent if you did it up right. If you just have to be in the tent, then try to keep the wind out of it and off the outside of it if you can with a lean-to or something like that. Kids do pretty good till the temps get below about 35-40, then they tend to get issues with not sleeping well and sinus / colds etc. It can be done but you just have to find the right way to get there.

I second the feelings about a heater being problematic. They work to take the edge off but I won't sleep with one on.

keane

Observer
What I did was warm pj's, fleece sleep sack and hot water bottle. Would refill the hot water bottle when parents went to sleep. And would fill a thermos with boiling water to refill the hot water bag during the night if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke