Bendable solar panels

dcg141

Adventurer
I bought a HQST panel off Amazon last year but its already putting out low, inconsistent voltage. I love the flat bendable nature of the panel and I see others out there but frankly they look like the same thing. Anyone else have experience with these?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I have not heard many good things about the flexible mono-crystal panels regretfully. those cells are not meant to bend and flex so people seem to complain about them breaking often.

Their are other flexible panels that can safely flex but efficiency is much low so you will need a larger panel to get the same output as the mono panels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UniSolar-PV...199891?hash=item33c28aab93:g:L0EAAOSwbsBXp8QF

AMORPHOUS panels dont seem to be very popular anymore since they are only around 10% vs mono 14%. Good luck

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Many of us had renogy flexible panels on four wheel campers. I'd say almost all of them failed within a year or two. Check wanderthewest forum for more info.

Initially they were great. Lightweight, profile, reasonably priced. But they just didn't hold up. Really sad. Hopefully something gets worked out in the near future because I'd love to go that route again versus 15-16lbs per 100 watts of rigid panels.

dlh62c

Explorer
Technomadia did a review on flexable panels.

The panels tended to cup as they heated up. The cupping allowed water to pool, when the water evaporated dust or dirt was left behind reducing the panels output.

http://www.technomadia.com/2014/11/zephyr-is-solar-powered-800-watt-rv-bus-roof-solar-install/

Last edited:

Rando

Explorer

I am not sure the issue is where the panels are made - I think it is more likely a difficulty dealing with heat in the plastic encapsulated cells which leads to rapid degradation. A black substrate may make the problem worse.

I had a 120W HQST semi-flexible panel on my Land cruiser camper (now sold) and it works fine - but it has only been on there for a year. Given the uncertainty in the longevity of these panels, I am holding off mounting them on my new camper until there is some better data.

dcg141

Adventurer
I am not sure the issue is where the panels are made - I think it is more likely a difficulty dealing with heat in the plastic encapsulated cells which leads to rapid degradation. A black substrate may make the problem worse.

I had a 120W HQST semi-flexible panel on my Land cruiser camper (now sold) and it works fine - but it has only been on there for a year. Given the uncertainty in the longevity of these panels, I am holding off mounting them on my new camper until there is some better data.

I am thinking the same. I'm going to go with a standard panel.

dcg141

Adventurer
Actually got a call from HQST today. Guy was trying to tell me that 10 volts at high noon on a cloudless day was ok. I'm guessing getting a return is not in the cards. Ordered a hard panel today.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I picked up one of the Suaoki 100w flexible panels at the beginning of the summer and it's been great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXYNGA0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It puts out plenty of voltage and stores nicely. I did purchase the Amazon 2 year protection plan for $14.

51IU8k2p1kL._SL1024_.jpg

dcg141

Adventurer
Got a hard panel...putting out 20 volts on a cloudy day..system back up and working. Hope this one lasts longer.

Last edited:

downhill

Adventurer
So what's the experience been with the flexible PV panels? It's been ~1 year since ya'll posted. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the 100W Suaoki panels on Ebay here:
$90 each shipped.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-Semi-...d7464b0b7:g:orkAAOSwzhRZkp8e&autorefresh=true

$90? I see $159. I'm interested too in whether these panels have held up long term. Looking around at ratings, it seems like a pretty high percentage of these get returned. On a positive note, they get high marks for customer service.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Solar Synergy flexible/bendable panels (purchased from Solar Blvd.; terrible retailer) didn't last 6-months before they burned/shorted through. Warranty isn't worth the paper it was written on. Best recommendation after doing my own research (after the above negative experience): Go with quality hard panels. AM Solar is a reputable resource for information and purchase, which is where I purchased my hard panels.

Having said all that, and obviously not an 'apples-to-apples comparison', I have owned a 60w Powerfilm unit for a decade and it works great. But not enough output to provide proper charge for my 200a LiFePO4 battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles