M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

rlrenz

Explorer
I think I'll try the 950 watt Panasonic. Their use of inverter technology might let it work with a Vanner. At a cost of less than $120, I'll take the gamble.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I read the article and looked at the Amazon page also, but it makes me wonder why Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid quit making them. Inquiring minds want to know!

That article was written on October 28, 2009, so that makes me wonder what the current technology is today. It does have an update added on 6/24/17, which states Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid are no longer making inverter models. Again, why not?

Bob, let me know how that unit works out for you, but as far as i'm concerned the jury is still out on this.

rlrenz

Explorer
I did a search for Panasonic inverter microwave, and Panasonic has multiple models to choose from. Panasonic makes a 950 watt model that pulls about 1200 watts. If I run it at 80% on the inverter, and 100% on shore power or the generator, I should be ok.

At a price of about $120, I'll try one. I've always been happy with Panasonic, so I feel pretty safe.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Well I managed to find 60’ of 4/0 welding cable yesterday so if I can get the lugs today I should be able to tel you how the Panasonic inverter microwave works with a Magnum inverter.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Well I managed to find 60' of 4/0 welding cable yesterday so if I can get the lugs today I should be able to tel you how the Panasonic inverter microwave works with a Magnum inverter.

So, are you saying you have a Magnum inverter also? If so, that's cool!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok it runs the Panasonic microwave without an issue. Strangely it draws 150A on the inverter at power level 10 and 146A at power level 5. When I get some time I will drop my watt meter on the AC side and see what is happening there.

But the best news of all is that the inverter handles my Nespresso coffee machine without a problem. It only draws about 1200W but it pulses the load and drives generators crazy.

java

Expedition Leader
Ok it runs the Panasonic microwave without an issue. Strangely it draws 150A on the inverter at power level 10 and 146A at power level 5. When I get some time I will drop my watt meter on the AC side and see what is happening there.

But the best news of all is that the inverter handles my Nespresso coffee machine without a problem. It only draws about 1200W but it pulses the load and drives generators crazy.

Nespresso.... My inverter runs it sort of sometimes.... Need to work on that. Love the little machines. Its only a 750W inverter.... The pulsing is odd, but my inverter runs it sometimes.

patoz

Expedition Leader

That's good news, and did I understand you to say you had a Magnum Inverter? If so what model do you have?

The Magnum is a top of the line inverter which is why I bought a 2000W model. Plus, everything else like the solar controller, remote generator start, battery monitor, etc. just plugs right into it and you have one panel to monitor it all.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
My inverter is the Magna Sine MS2000 I think. The good news is that it can run the microwave and Nespresso machine at the same time. But it sure eats the batteries hard.

Just for reference the Panasonic microwave is rated at 900W. When running at full or 1/2 power it draws 890W according to my Kill-a-watt meter.

I went with the Magnum inverter because of all the good reviews. The only part that sucks is I need a remote which has the programmer built in and I would also like a automatic generator start (keep the dog cool if we are sightseeing where she is not welcome) . But it’s over $250 for that bit of kit. Seems a bit crazy since I picked up the inverter for $500.

Also I didn’t think that far ahead and went with a Midnight Solar controller just to get the 80amps I needed. But again I only paid $350 for it New in the box off Craigslist.

patoz

Expedition Leader
If you got your inverter for $500.00, you have no room to complain about the cost of the other items, because you STOLE it! :agree:

I have the Model MS-2012, and I paid almost $1,500.00 for it on Amazon. I also have the Remote Panel for it, the Battery Monitor Kit, and the Mini Magnum Panel (for mounting and the circuit breaker panel), with plans to add the Automatic Generator Start Module (for my Honda EU3000i generator), and the PT-100 - Charge Controller (for Solar Panels). BTW, if you buy the Remote Panel, be careful which one you get, because one will work with the Generator Module and one won't. I bought the wrong one to start with and had to exchange it.

This all expensive equipment, but it's commercial grade and can be removed from the camper and reinstalled in a structure very easily for future use.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Probably, and I'm not done yet! I hope to add 1,200W of solar on the roof also, but I don't think there is room so I may have scale that back a little.

I'm building mine for more than just camping. Considering the hurricanes we have, I have gone as long as two weeks without power before. Phone lines and cell towers were out part of that time also. We still had water and gas though. Oh, and don't forget those damn zombies, and I'm not talking about the ones in the Michael Jackson video either!

I want to be able to live in this camper for a few weeks if I need to, or be able to power my house if I lose my home standby generator, or the natural gas it uses.

Last edited:

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Good call on that MidNite Solar charge controller. It's top quality stuff and I love the company. The founders have a cool back story, too.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Good call on that MidNite Solar charge controller. It's top quality stuff and I love the company. The founders have a cool back story, too.

I would love to claim I picked it after a lot of careful research etc etc. The reality is I wanted a known brand 80 amp mppt controller and this one popped up on craigslist as a new open box one at a very good price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior