M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yep they were the ones. I am always amazed by the level of detail they went to as well. Nothing is done 1/2 arsed. I think they follow the mantra of "If a jobs worth doing then it's worth overdoing."

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that and the army of inspectors looking over their shoulders! :agree:

The later model ones seem to be put together much better, especially with the advent of CNC machines, laser cutters, and computers in general. Back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, it was more hand drills, saber saws, and eyeballing things. A lot more basic common materials were used back then also.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Bumper day. I may be needing to do a trip soon so having my motorcycle carrier is getting more urgent. So with a little bush blacksmithing I will hopefully have a class III hitch and the receiver tubes for the motorcycle carrier in place by the end of the weekend.

db295a4fd8e46a17fa6575f97c070fca.jpg

0844757a3d06637b0b0f82ad887dd22f.jpg

These are the holes for the motorcycle rack receiver tubes.

f37f4b2ecfd64847a3c041eec18138e3.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
Think Im going to steal someone elses idea and keep my eyes open for a used Tommy lift for my Motorcycle rack. On occasion they pop up on craigslist but am going to hold out to till an Aluminum pops up.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Reese Class III SUV van Lt Truck Multi Fit Hitch. Found 2 of them in the clearance rack at the local RV trailer store for $50 ea. Easy to rework and with being welded into the existing bumper it is definitely at least class III.

b1a8ee9219e7189d35f3b34bfe78f4c7.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Think Im going to steal someone elses idea and keep my eyes open for a used Tommy lift for my Motorcycle rack. On occasion they pop up on craigslist but am going to hold out to till an Aluminum pops up.

Make sure you get one rated for dynamic loads. When I was checking them out the lifting capacity was fine but if you do some calcs they are not suitable for the shock loads with a motorcycle on them going down the road. But I have seen plenty of people use them without too many issues. One other problem I had with them was the space they needed under the back of the vehicle for one type and the ones that lift vertically seemed to be all mounted off the box and not the chassis. Ok for around town deliveries but not that great for crappy trails etc.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just about finished the hitch. I managed to get the motorcycle carrier receiver tubes flush with the bumper. This brings the carrier about 1” closer to the truck than last time. Doesn’t sound like much but I think overall I have reduced the amount it hangs out the back by about 2 1/2” overall. That will be a fair reduction in the leverage considering the weight hanging out there.

06e0971a86d569db307d9cbaf47f63a8.jpg

The horns sticking grout will support the step which will be split into 3 pieces to enable the center to be down while the outsides are up while the rack is in place.

bd30c6af2c42ce28087b331c3ca208b7.jpg

I also spread the arms apart about 3” so that the receiver tubes are on the outside of the frame rails rather than trying to insert them inline. I think most people probably had them directly under the chassis rail (34”) but the doesn’t work with ambulance bumpers.

So far this “little” job has turned into a marathon but I am trying to only touch stuff once these days rather than doing bits and pieces.

theRome

Super cool, what do you think the weight of the bike and mount is? (minus the receiver on the frame)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles