M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
One sofa in the cab and one in the back. The cab will turn into our grand daughters bedroom and was a key decision point in getting this rig.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok I am definitely getting better at this the more I practice. Started installing the sofa bed I. The back. 4 hours later and it's all done. Last time it took at least 4 days.

Same design as last time. The sofa sits a long way off the floor so that we could retain all the storage underneath and not have to cut out too much paneling.

50de375c2b6bf4ddedc9391cd26fa963.jpg

2cc286b921df7c74ddb275028b659535.jpg

ad594bcd9cf5a0c47d25c9652dab809e.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
As they sit. They are retractable lap belts and very well mounted. Last rig I changed them out for the non retractable as they were in the way. Now in the cab I will just be putting in an extra lap belt in the middle to go with the existing 3 point belts so I can carry 5 people in the front if required. I doubt if we will ever need to use the seat belts in the back.

patoz

Expedition Leader
How long is that couch, will it fit in a 6' long space?

Yeah, I would keep those rear belts as they are, and you might as well add a back board to your list of equipment too. You never know when you might have to transport someone out of the back country from and adventure gone wrong.

And if you do, you definitely don't want to be THIS guy!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That one is 6' but you can order shorter and longer. I hadn't thought of a backboard but I was leaving them in place in case I picked up a belligerent drunk and needed to strap them in

Hmmm wonder how much room a backboard would take up.

patoz

Expedition Leader
A standard Birch backboard is generally 18" x 72". Occasionally, you will come across one that is 20" - 24" wide and 74" long for larger/taller people. They are 1.5" thick because they have two .75" thick hardwood runners on the bottom to help with sliding, and to allow an EMT to get their fingers under the handholds. The newer plastic and aluminum ones are thicker due the materials they are made out of.

Originally we made our own wooden ones, and we made them 16" wide so we could get three out of one sheet of plywood.

The wooden backboards can be used to dig sand with (especially the tapered ones), as traction mats in an emergency, and as tables also. I'm thinking they would make a pretty good stationary 'creeper' to lay on to slide under your vehicle if you had to also. I wouldn't use one as a jack pad or traction mat unless it was an absolute emergency, because the load could fracture the wood fibers and weaken the board for use with a patient. Again, you don't want to be THAT guy! If you had to use it for that, I would take it out of service for medical use and replace it.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok no room for one of those. Looks like they will have to put up with being transported on a length of Marsden Mat (PSP).

683171251b4fd6d6f310bd221cf41d06.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
Ok no room for one of those. Looks like they will have to put up with being transported on a length of Marsden Mat (PSP).

683171251b4fd6d6f310bd221cf41d06.jpg

wow is that pic visually deceiving? Looks like a to-scale model Marsden Mat next to a normal sized long wood tack or short nail.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We call them roo tacks. Beat them into the ground and chain them to a kangaroo's tail. Stops them jumping the fences and getting in with the females. :eek:

rlrenz

Explorer
It looks like the drain from a sink that's installed directly over the driver's side extrication equipment cabinet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles