M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Finally had some time to start on Big Red. So 1st on the list (jumped priority as I have a welder staying with us at the moment to TIG up the frame for me). So out with the rear seats, remove the auxiliary AC in the Cab and also the oversized console between the front seats. Talk about opening a can of worms. There has to be a mile of cable in there.

ea107d78cb7dbcdf6cc0b22072120c0a.jpg

Some sawzall engineering and the bed frame is just about ready to be welded up. All sorts of interference between seat belt holders, AC fittings but nothing 3 trips to Home Depot for different mounting ideas couldn't fix.

d42ebc174e6a6aa32632c5aba8647429.jpg

More to follow when it cools down today.

Also just as an FYI the bags they handed out for the Overland experience package guys at Overland Expo are the right size for holding the Rand McNally road atlas's.

RiderBloke

Observer
Quite a bit of that rat's nest looks like rolls of wire they did not cut/order to length. I've always wanted to see in one of those consoles so thanks for the pix. Hope to see more pix as you go.
Oh! And glad you sold the yella one; we flirted with buying but it's just a bit of a stretch for us yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rlrenz

Explorer
Many of the radio cables come in standard lengths, complete with connectors, so any extra length gets coiled and stashed at one end of the cable, or the other. Rear view cameras also use pre-made cables and have the same length problems.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Nice, Oz! We had the same "organized mess" beneath our console. The console was huge, so getting everything compressed or cut out was a bit of a challenge. That bed looks nice in there. And I love your red toe nail polish, too. Matches the new truck.

rlrenz

Explorer
I have a small Shih-Tzu who likes to ride along in a doggy bed that fits nicely on top of the console, so I'm not going to touch the console - I need it!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok looks like I may of found a solution to the low power of the Mercedes. I bought another Freightliner Ambo but this time with a C7 Cat engine. Pickup will hopefully be Friday. As usual its on the east coast so a road trip is in its future. The name for the new rig "DOANR".

New Ambo DOANR.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
You have a problem! And I love it, and I can't wait to to see them married together.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
Ok looks like I may of found a solution to the low power of the Mercedes. I bought another Freightliner Ambo but this time with a C7 Cat engine. Pickup will hopefully be Friday. As usual its on the east coast so a road trip is in its future. The name for the new rig "DOANR".

View attachment 403013

Are you headed my way again, or somewhere else?

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
Sounds like you're planning to become a used ambulance dealer - or else, you found a market for your leftovers--- At least, the route should be more familiar now...

Have a safe trip, and God speed.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Definitely no to the dealer but I got this one at a price that allows me to part it out if necessary. Besides I always wanted to totally strip and rebuild a module in a floor plan more suited to long term living rather than reworking based on existing fixtures. This may be my chance (unless someone comes up with a good amount of $ for the module)

patoz

Expedition Leader
The good part for you guys may be the lighting. It is a 2005 so I am hoping it has LED lighting.

If it has LED side work lights, I am definitely interested since I'm working off of batteries alone, with no engine or alternator to charge them back up when the halogen ones suck them dry.

However, I'm almost positive the work lights on that one are halogen after looking at the enlarged picture. The good ones are the Whelen Super LED Scene Lights, but those came out way after the LED warning lights, so they are a rare bird to find. Side Note: The chrome bezel and gaskets on the Super LED Scene Lights are different than the standard 900 series lights and will not interchange.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok the new one is a poverty pack model. No LEDs.

I have started another thread to record the "recovery" effort.

But the great news is that after initially thinking it had no cruise I dug around in the dash and discovered the cruise switches hidden in behind the panel. Now if the guy ever comes to jump start me we will be off on our way home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles