M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

patoz

Expedition Leader
Since you're on the road, I'll post the link for DOANR for you...

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...details-and-then-road-trip-across-the-country

So after you put the Cat engine in Big Red, are you going to put the Mercedes engine in DOANR?

You could build DOANR as a trailer like mine, make it into your custom luxury suite, and tow it behind Big Red for those 'Special Occasions'! Or, you could just turn it into a toy hauler trailer and paint it to match Big Red.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Since you're on the road, I'll post the link for DOANR for you...

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...details-and-then-road-trip-across-the-country

So after you put the Cat engine in Big Red, are you going to put the Mercedes engine in DOANR?

You could build DOANR as a trailer like mine, make it into your custom luxury suite, and tow it behind Big Red for those 'Special Occasions'! Or, you could just turn it into a toy hauler trailer and paint it to match Big Red.

Hmmm now you have me thinking. Big Red can legally carry 9 people. Your suggestion would make it into a 3 bedroom rig :Wow1:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Going in deep. Finally not going to get above 105 today and hopefully no wind dust or rain. So valve check it is.

a4ac5ec53d9a06b74b8d35473cd35cb2.jpg

d8ea43ceeb4a797a4ba6a77912a6debc.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hmm #2 cylinder inlet .85mm should be between .30 - .60. Fingers crossed that they only did the valves with the engine too hot or off TDC

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Not sure if there is any improvement. Went to hook up the diagnostic kit and the adapter plug failed. Now I have to wait until the weekend to get a new plug and solder it in.

Seat of the pants on the test drive is that it is still a dog compared to the Yella one and the little red one.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hmmm this is going to be a problem!!

View attachment 384388

After doing the valves I ran another cylinder cutout test (after having to repair my Nexiq adapter). Looks like the cylinder contributions are still off a bit but not as bad. I also ran the electronic compression test which previously showed #2 as way low with 2 others low. See for yourself the results. Now to see if the injectors will balance themselves after running for a while.

Today Cylinder Cutout 7-28-17.jpg January Cylinder cutout 1-28-17.jpg

Compression 7-28-17.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
Amazing what a computerized engine can tell someone - back in "the old days" (my days), it was all purely mechanical measurements, and an engine that "might" have something electrical on it.

My old D-8 pussycat had the 13000 engine, and the gasoline pony engine had an electric starter, along with a crank in case the battery was dead (it usually was). The beast came with a cab heater that couldn't melt the snow off your gloves, and headlights aimed precisely - one for finding gophers, and the other for spotting squirrels in the trees.

Are the same diagnostics available on the Cummins engines as well?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Depends on the engine. If yours is the 24 valve it is but if it is a 12 valve there is not. Around 1999 was the changeover. If there is a single valve cover it will be the electronic injection and have the ability to have a diagnostic tool plugged in. If there are 6 separate valve covers you have the 12valve and no diagnostics but a bulletproof engine.

rlrenz

Explorer
Good info - thanks. I have the 24 valve 5.9 on mine - it's a 1999 Freightliner / Medic Master.

Do the plug in diagnostic tools run into a lot of bucks, or are they just a computer program with some cables?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Depends on what you want to do. To just monitor you can get them from $150 up to about $350 (Silverleaf). The actual diagnostic tool is about $550 new and the software costs a bloody fortune. But compared to taking the into the Stealership for diagnostic work it is a bargain. I run a Nexiq (old one 2nd hand) with an old version of DDE software for this truck and Insite for the Cummins. You will need to do the research on the software and possibly share it with others who run the same sort of trucks (MNTAL).

If you look back through the thread you will see the Silverleaf monitor I use on all the trucks. I think I paid about $300 for that adapter and software and it is great for keeping an eye on things. It will also read codes and reset most of them but does not run the diagnostic tests. For most people this should be sufficient.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It is amazing how some simple task can take up so much time. I am about 16 hours into chasing down what should be happening with my exhaust brake. All of that time has been put into chasing wiring and fixing issues I find along the way. The biggest one being that I had to remove all the dash to find the wiring harness for the exhaust brake and while I was in there fix the cracked and broken mounting points on the dash. A replacement panel was $275 plus tax and weeks away. Plus if the first one broke then the replacement would be just as susceptible to damage. So I set about trying to plastic weld it back together which was a total failure. Next I fabricated aluminum supports to replace the broken parts and also some to strengthen the ones which are still ok but are not robust enough for my liking. Also while I had the dash out I added 3 more switch holes and a double USB charger outlet. Now I just need to put it all back together and wait for the new exhaust brake switch to arrive.

I am still wondering what the switch which is marked "Heated Mirrors" does. It goes to the cabling for Smart Switch 3 and there is no heated mirrors on this truck (plus they should of had their own harness with a dedicated plug). Then there was the switch the module builder put in to override the 120v plug ejector. Pity it doesn't actually work.

4eb794f91de0a834d68b3ed3b0be2d56.jpg

005dbd27679f253e05d9bc847262dc76.jpg

Healeyjet

Explorer
Plastic parts irritate me to no end!!

Had supper with my brother and sister in law. They own a body shop in town. We were talking about the huge expensive tail light assemblies they use on cars now and how they are one of the first things to beak in an accident. She was talking about how they now make what are called "single use parts" in cars that cannot be dismantled or reused. I would assume simply to sell more parts.

Ward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles