Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The quest for the perfect family (5 of us) overlanding/camping setup....

TL;dr, but I do have a couple of points - first off, the OP's picture of the twins (?) having breakfast on the cooler is priceless! We (family of six if you include two labs), went from a large family-sized tent to a slide-in camper, back to a family sized tent, and as the girls got older, we downsized the tent, and added a second popup tent for the girls. We also have a small (23') cabin cruiser that we've spent many nights on many waters. The tent/s were a PITA always and when the girls were younger, the associated toys/gear was huge. Both kids are adults now, and one of them hates camping (socialite), and the other has her own gear.

Both the wife and I feel as though we've paid our dues, from starting as backpackers, to sleeping in the open truck bed to the above and now that the girls are gone, we purchased a small hard-sided RV (25' Toyhauler). It's plenty of room, lifted so we can get away from the madding crowds, and can carry our off-road vehicle for basecamping adventures. All the comforts of home and if the girls want to come along, they have a bed. Setup is fast, teardown is fast. If I want to get out in the back-country, I still have my solo tent and gear. Pretty much any camping experience I want to have, I have the gear for.
    Are we there yet?

My Rides:
    2012 RAM 3500 TCD
    2014 Arctic Cat Trail 700
    1999 Seaswirl Cordova 230

Family of four plus one small dog. We like to have a set up that is versatile enough for a quick weekend excursion and long cross country trips. We started with a big canvas tent, then did a roof top tent on a basic landscaping trailer, did a vintage airstream remodel and now have a teardrop. The teardrop is awesome and we are modifying it for tougher roads. It is always ready and the rear hatch kitchen is perfect. Even the king sized bed is getting tight- so Iím looking into the new Yakima roof top tent to add an extra bed. It looks like it is is pretty easy for take on and off, and with the trailer holding the bulk of the camp, we can just fold the tent up and go exploring. Ease of set up and breakdown is my number one priority with two little kids. I want to be outside with them and we will not do it if it is a pain in the ***. We travel with another family that has a pop- up. That works great too, but since they donít cook inside (who does?), they have to set up and break down a kitchen. All we do is open the hatch.
    We found our teardrop used for 10k.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345