Disabled Explorer Continental Divide Expedition July 5th-27th

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Snow melt

jcbrandon said:
Checking the SPOT track shows the team making an abrubt about-face Tuesday afternoon on the Going to the Sun Road. Perhaps the way was still blocked by snow. Anyone have any real information?

According to the site the road should be open Going-to-the-Sun. I was there on June 21 and they still had 15-20 feet of snow on the road near the visitor centre. It must have been a planned turn arround point.

Cheers,
P

suntinez

Explorer
Hi Lance ... we're in Dillon. No cell service, plenty of wifi - so PM, post or email how to find you ...woof! I spot you north of here a bit coming south ... thanks see you soon :jumping:

suntinez

Explorer
Planning on staying and playing around Yellowstone, then mebbe down east side of Utah, then socal. But it's a fluid plan ... I'll let you know, thanks for the offer!! This is truly strange experience, I'm in a big open meadow and online ... the world got small huh?

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
suntinez said:
Planning on staying and playing around Yellowstone, then mebbe down east side of Utah, then socal. But it's a fluid plan ... I'll let you know, thanks for the offer!! This is truly strange experience, I'm in a big open meadow and online ... the world got small huh?

LOL you betcha!

VikingVince

Explorer
BajaExplorer,

I just got an email from Suntinez(Linda). She can't get into ExPo and wants me to post the following info for you:

2) canvas cafe (where we were meeting) doesn't exist per se anymore as camping place, looking for an alternate - maybe the place we stayed last nite just south of dillon. we are at "countryside RV" 30 sawmill rd, exit 59 on I-15, 406-683-9860
3) worst case if we don't connect today then connect tomorrow in Lima at Jans cafe, probably no cell/wifi there but they are hams, wiating on update from Lance on this.

tibaal89

Adventurer
Greetings from the CDE! We have some internet along the way here and are updating with pics and stories.

Lance is posting on the Disabled Explorers site and here, and you can read my account of the trip and see my own pictures on my blog thingy, here:

tibaal89's blog thing!!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Nothing like sunrise at Sunset.

firstcamp.jpg

Great view out over Salt Lake City as we came out of the mountains.

overslc.jpg

I remembered at the last minute that we would pass near Ogden which is the home of Tread Lightly! Since we are huge fans of the Tread Lightly program and spread the word every chance we get it seemed worth a phone call to see if they would let us pay a visit. This is the very cool building they have, Odgen seems to have a high number of very cool buildings in the downtown area.

treadbuildingsmall.jpg

Tracy & Monica were very gracious to us even though we dropped in with such short notice. After we picked up some more handouts to give at the FJ Summit we even talked them into a picture with us.

attreadlghtsmall.jpg

After that is was long long hours of highway driving through land I really want to return to. Of course just before we crossed into Canada I was entralled to see Tobacco Valley. As a long time cigar smoker this seemed like a cool place. Little did I know that it was all just a ruse by the local mosquito mafia to draw out silly folks for a blood letting festival. We barely got this picture before running back to the FJ!

tobaccovalleysmall.jpg

After that we met Mike on the Canadian side of the border, found a nice campground in the dark and crashed for the night.

1leglance

What a day to have as the actual first day of the Continental Divide Expedition, it was all real now! Border crossing, Glaciers, dirt roads, and hiking to hidden lakes.

After a quick break of camp at Dorr Road we stopped at the beach to see what why we should return, Canada is calling me back!

dorrsmall.jpg

Then a dash to the border and some fun talking with US Customs, especially when they ask about the poop can before opening it for inspection, lucky for them it was still virgin. Mike was ask a few extra questions based soley on his association with me. You can see him still chatting in this picture.

usbordersmall.jpg

As we finally hit dirt we were struck by indications of recent fire damage to the area. Things looked to be growing back nicely.

burndamagesmall.jpg

And just in time for lunch we made it to Polebridge. As a pastry lover I had been looking forward to this middle-of-nowhere place after reading all the trip reports. It well lives up to the hype, excellent everything!

polebridgesmall.jpg

They even keep a little bit of emergecy gas around.

emerggassmall.jpg

And we found the Disabled Explorers Dog, but we had no room in the vehicles to adopt him. However he seemed to be doing well there Adapting & Overcoming.

dedogsmall.jpg

Before to long we were in Glacier and saw plenty of snow and road construction.

trkbysnowsmall.jpg

And even with all the tourist it is still worth seeing as an overlander. Crowded parking lots & all.

1leglance

ok it is 1:17 am here in the Grand Tetons and Mike & I gotta crash so we can get up and go see more cool stuff as we work our way south towards the FJ Summit....
thanks for all the positive comments and support

suntinez

Explorer
Mark that was funny reading your posts ... pretty sure I'm going to go ham, soon!

We connected in Lima with BajaXplorer and Lance/Mike, spent that night at a beautiful (but buggy) spot on Red Rock Lake. Drove thru Yellowstone yesterday, then on to Grand Teton SP. I'm headed back to see the grand canyon of yellowstone and more beautiful things, they are on the road again to get to CO and the FJ Summit. Havin' fun ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior