2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Dalko43

Explorer
How are they shipping to dealers before they have been in the hands of reviewers?...weird.

I'm confused as to why people are starting to pick them up but you can't build and price them out on Chevy's website. If that's part of a plan to try and hide the high MSRP for these vehicles, that's a BS move on Chevy's part.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
While I've never been a GM fanboy, this is pretty darned impressive, and definitely raises the bar. :)
Good on GM for bringing out a real off-road worthy package. Would love to see demand outstrip supply, like the JK does for Jeep. :beer:
Hope Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Nissan & Toyota are paying attention.

superbuickguy

Explorer
While I've never been a GM fanboy, this is pretty darned impressive, and definitely raises the bar. :)
Good on GM for bringing out a real off-road worthy package. Would love to see demand outstrip supply, like the JK does for Jeep. :beer:
Hope Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Nissan & Toyota are paying attention.

I'm not a Ford fan but I totally support Ford building the Raptor - it raised the bar and brought us vehicles like this one.... competition is good.

haven

Expedition Leader
Chevrolet invited scores of automotive reporters to test the ZR2 last week. Like malibubts says above, the embargo on articles will expire Monday at 8am. So expect all the usual sources to have articles about the ZR2 next week.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here are photos of the ZR2 "chase truck" put together by GM engineers: 1 inch body lift, 33 inch tall tires, trimmed bumpers with built-in winch, off-road light bar, extra protection for the utility body

ZR2 utility 2.jpgZR2 utility 1.jpg

This could be the basis for a camper. Add a slide-out shelf in the bed for access to more cargo, put a popup tent or a simple bed topper on the utility body.

haven

Expedition Leader
The EPA fuel economy website now lists mpg for the ZR2
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2017_Chevrolet_Colorado.shtml

Interesting that the diesel 4x4 in a regular Colorado is rated at 20 city, 28 highway, and 23 mpg overall.
In ZR2 trim, the fuel economy drops to 19 city, 22 highway (a 27% decrease), 20 mpg overall (a 15% decrease).

So far as I know, the drivetrain for the ZR2 is the same as the standard 4x4. So the difference in mpg is caused by aerodynamics. That makes sense, since the city mpg of the diesel truck is only 5% lower than the standard diesel 4x4. Lose the lower air dam, increase ground clearance and expose the meaty tires to the airstream = higher fuel bills and shorter range.

Dalko43

Explorer
The EPA fuel economy website now lists mpg for the ZR2
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2017_Chevrolet_Colorado.shtml

Interesting that the diesel 4x4 in a regular Colorado is rated at 20 city, 28 highway, and 23 mpg overall.
In ZR2 trim, the fuel economy drops to 19 city, 22 highway (a 27% decrease), 20 mpg overall (a 15% decrease).

So far as I know, the drivetrain for the ZR2 is the same as the standard 4x4. So the difference in mpg is caused by aerodynamics. That makes sense, since the city mpg of the diesel truck is only 5% lower than the standard diesel 4x4. Lose the lower air dam, increase ground clearance and expose the meaty tires to the airstream = higher fuel bills and shorter range.

Even with the air damn taken off, slight lift and beefier tires, I'd be surprised if real world results for the duramax ZR2 were really that low. I guess we'll see what owners are getting mpg-wise here in a few short weeks, but the EPA's website has made changes to their mpg ratings in the past.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Yeah, we have seen as high as 33.5 with our LT Duramax. 31-32 is common and it is rated for 28. I imagine real world will be a touch higher for the ZR2 too if you have a light foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94