New Manufacturer: Cave Campers - 750 lbs, $<10k, high quality

Any updates on the possibility of a 6 foot box length with a cab-over big enough for a bed

Any chance this will happen this spring?

I am ready to purchase!

Please?

You have been very quiet for awhile ....... I hope that means you are busy planning and getting ready to sell your idea!!!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
They say they have set up manufacturing here in the states and now offer a flatbed model as well as other choices/options. Impressive build quality but way to much $$ for my budget. That is why I went with Bundutec.

Where was the flatbed mentioned? I must have missed it.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
We're actually making some window decisions. I'd be interested in getting feedback on these two options or any others that you think are better choices.

View attachment 379538
View attachment 379539

Absolutely top opening so they can stay open when raining. I don't understand why all RV s don't use this type. And they are available as emergency exit windows as I have one in the bedroom area of my forest river toy hauler.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Something like this could be put on a 4x8 trailer as well, significantly increasing the market. Although, I'd prefer less frontal area with a pop top.

Hamer95USA

I like the shell design of your hard side truck camper, but the design wouldn't suit me and the amenities is far too bare bones for me. Here's my suggestions that would make me interested in buying one:

Increase the cabover space at the front of the camper to accomodate a queen size mattress. Your current designs wouldn't be comfortable for me, if I had to stay in your camper for a long period of time. Design a countertop that will accomodate a sink, 2 burner stove, furnace, and 2 or 3 way refrigerator. I would like to able to cook food, have a cup of coffee, etc. Design a space for a shower and toilet. Being able to clean yourself in the privacy of your own camper is a necessity. Have either a front or side dinette style seating with a folding table. Install a charging station for electronics such as laptop computer, cameras, smartphones, etc. Install solar panels/batteries/inverter/gauges for solar power to recharge the batteries and power all devices in the camper.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I may be mistaken ... but I think things like showers, multi-way fridges, queen size mattresses, furnaces, and some sort of full dinette seating are exactly what this camper ISN'T about.

UHAULER

Explorer
I like the shell design of your hard side truck camper, but the design wouldn't suit me and the amenities is far too bare bones for me. Here's my suggestions that would make me interested in buying one:

Increase the cabover space at the front of the camper to accomodate a queen size mattress. Your current designs wouldn't be comfortable for me, if I had to stay in your camper for a long period of time. Design a countertop that will accomodate a sink, 2 burner stove, furnace, and 2 or 3 way refrigerator. I would like to able to cook food, have a cup of coffee, etc. Design a space for a shower and toilet. Being able to clean yourself in the privacy of your own camper is a necessity. Have either a front or side dinette style seating with a folding table. Install a charging station for electronics such as laptop computer, cameras, smartphones, etc. Install solar panels/batteries/inverter/gauges for solar power to recharge the batteries and power all devices in the camper.

Then you would have a regular camper. There are lots of camper mfgs. that build what you want. This is about building a basic shell.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Any updates on the possibility of a 6 foot box length with a cab-over big enough for a bed

Any chance this will happen this spring?

I am ready to purchase!

Please?

You have been very quiet for awhile ....... I hope that means you are busy planning and getting ready to sell your idea!!!

Thank you for your continued interest. Looks like we missed your Spring window but we may be able to accommodate your needs this year. I'll PM you but feel free to reach out to me directly if you'd like to discuss on the phone.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor

Increase the cabover space at the front of the camper to accommodate a queen size mattress. Your current designs wouldn't be comfortable for me, if I had to stay in your camper for a long period of time. Design a countertop that will accommodate a sink, 2 burner stove, furnace, and 2 or 3 way refrigerator. I would like to able to cook food, have a cup of coffee, etc. Design a space for a shower and toilet. Being able to clean yourself in the privacy of your own camper is a necessity. Have either a front or side dinette style seating with a folding table. Install a charging station for electronics such as laptop computer, cameras, smartphones, etc. Install solar panels/batteries/inverter/gauges for solar power to recharge the batteries and power all devices in the camper.

Thank you for feedback and thank you Roger M an UHAULER for the responses as well. You two echo'd some of our vision with Cave. I think it's fine to want all those amenities, but that's not the market we're looking to serve. There are plenty of folks doing that today. We're very comfortable not being a fit for everyone if we can make a few people ecstatic about our products.

In general, we aim to build a camper for the outdoor enthusiast who wants to maximize their enjoyment of the outdoors. Our thought here is that, for some folks, that doesn't mean trying to replicate the comforts of home. Here are some random aspects of our vision with Cave:

1. There are too many truck campers sitting in yards with blue tarps on them. In other words, toys are supposed to be fun. They aren't supposed to add more work, maintenance, or hassle. So we are working hard to build something that won't need maintenance, won't leak, is simple, and is easy to clean. Every built-in amenity adds maintenance, weight, and takes up space.

2. Many of our customers may just want to graduate from sleeping in a tent. That doesn't mean they want to skip all the way to buying a complicated, heavy rig that tries to cram the comforts of home into a tiny space. Cave is a place to sleep, store stuff, and get out of inclement weather. Cave is shelter.

3. We are inspired by brands that don't compromise on quality, last forever, and have high resale value. A big, hairy, audacious goal (BHAG) we have is to be the Boston Whaler or Yeti of the camper market. (I know, we have a lonnnnnngg ways to go. That's why it's a BHAG. :) )

We do have plans to ENABLE amenities as modular, after-market options. For example, instead of an integrated fridge I'd rather provide a spot to fasten down a Yeti cooler or an electric cooler. Then you have the option to use it or not and if it breaks you just remove it and get a new one.

I appreciate the feedback as always!

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I really like the concept of these campers. The aerodynamics look absolutely terrible though. Is there a way to remove that gap above the cab and bring the whole thing down a bit? It looks like the front of the camper would catch and cup air if that makes any sense, essentially destroying all aerodynamics. Have you put the camper in a wind tunnel?

I drive a 2005 Tundra. While it could likely handle the weight no problem, and the camper would suit our needs pretty much perfectly, the effect driving with that massive wind stopper would have on fuel economy and handling in head winds/crosswinds makes me hesitate.

Jonnyo

Observer
Cave camper dosnt actually manufacture the camper so they dont really do the research and developpement for shape and construction. Those campers are made by another company. we have those same camper in kelowna canada. They are definitly not made to be aerodynamic but serve a purpose of off road medical services for remote area.

timthumb.php

I do not beleive many company have ever set foot on a wind tunnel. it s too impractical and expensive now. Everyone use mostly CFD (computer simulation) that are as reliable. But the camper industrie for most part isnt at that point yet..

Last edited:

JJEH

I like the concept. I'm thinking about a bed rack and RTT but this camper makes great sense to me; the 750lbs leaves me with plenty of payload for my Ram 1500.
Options like the A/C unit and auxiliary lights make it very interesting to me. It provides plenty of storage/shelter and if not needed just take it off and use the truck as usual.

I'm Intrigued...

southpier

Expedition Leader
I like the concept. I'm thinking about a bed rack and RTT but this camper makes great sense to me; the 750lbs leaves me with plenty of payload for my Ram 1500.
Options like the A/C unit and auxiliary lights make it very interesting to me. It provides plenty of storage/shelter and if not needed just take it off and use the truck as usual.

I'm Intrigued...

wouldn't two people a weekend's groceries pretty much wipe that out?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/1...ing-real-world-payload-towing-capacities.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles