New Manufacturer: Cave Campers - 750 lbs, $<10k, high quality

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Is there a way to remove that gap above the cab and bring the whole thing down a bit? It looks like the front of the camper would catch and cup air if that makes any sense, essentially destroying all aerodynamics. Have you put the camper in a wind tunnel?

Our prototype had that gap between the storage in the camper and the cab of the truck. The current design has larger upfront storage which eliminates that gap.

if not, then I don't see what they are offering; is cave just a dealer for a shell?

Cave is not a distributor or dealer. While aspects of the shell look like what you have in the photo there is much more to the design to make it a Cave camper. The company in Kelowna does not sell direct and is not interested in custom work for single orders. We currently work with contract manufacturers to build the campers.

southpier

Expedition Leader
...Cave is not a distributor or dealer. While aspects of the shell look like what you have in the photo there is much more to the design to make it a Cave camper. The company in Kelowna does not sell direct and is not interested in custom work for single orders. We currently work with contract manufacturers to build the campers.

so how would you classify "Cave" in the process? I think there's enough of an investment in the product to understand where the liability would lie in the event of a problem. last thing anyone needs is finger pointing when things put a halt to leisure time activity. especially if there has been a substantial investment of time and money added after the initial (in this case 'pod') expense.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
so how would you classify "Cave" in the process? I think there's enough of an investment in the product to understand where the liability would lie in the event of a problem. last thing anyone needs is finger pointing when things put a halt to leisure time activity. especially if there has been a substantial investment of time and money added after the initial (in this case 'pod') expense.

Cave is an OEM. Our method of manufacturing varies by part of the unit and will change over time based on what makes sense for customers and the business. OEMs in all sorts of industries use contract manufacturers for parts of their product. We are no different. Any issues a customer would have with our products stops with us given the direct relationship we have with our customers (e.g. no middlemen or dealers involved).

southpier

Expedition Leader
Cave is an OEM. Our method of manufacturing varies by part of the unit and will change over time based on what makes sense for customers and the business. OEMs in all sorts of industries use contract manufacturers for parts of their product. We are no different. Any issues a customer would have with our products stops with us given the direct relationship we have with our customers (e.g. no middlemen or dealers involved).

I think that's a valuable piece of information to put out there; thanks.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thread title seems a bit misleading.

What exactly is CAVE manufacturing?

Doesn't sound like they are a MFG.

Roger M.

Adventurer
Thread title seems a bit misleading.

What exactly is CAVE manufacturing?

Doesn't sound like they are a MFG.

I thought his explanation was pretty clear.
Cave Campers don't seem to be claiming to physically manufacture anything.
They contract the physical labour out to suppliers.

I doubt Tim Cook has ever completely assembled an iPhone, but ...

southpier

Expedition Leader
I thought his explanation was pretty clear.
They contract the physical labour out to suppliers....

AND are willing to accept responsibility if there's a problem. that's an admission that should not be overlooked.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I

I doubt Tim Cook has ever completely assembled an iPhone, but ...

Sure they do. Just look at the thread title, as I mentioned.
Camper company, sure. But manufacturer, not from where I'm sitting.

And Tim Cook??
I really doubt he claims that he is an assembler of Iphones, much less manufacture them.
Engineer and developer, and that he is. No misrepresentation at all.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im not knocking what they are offering.
Seems like it might fit the bill for many folks, and thats a great thing.
More power to them.

But to pass themselves off as a MFG to these units is misleading.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
But to pass themselves off as a MFG to these units is misleading.

I disagree. Years ago when I was a machinIst, one of our regular jobs was doing the machine work on the central part (riser) of Bear Archery compound bows. Bear didn't do the aluminum casting (one subcontractor), the machining (two) or the paint (three).

But they designed it, subbed out the work, did the final assembly and quality control, handled sales, shipping, customer service and warranty.

They "owned" it.

They could have done all the work in house, but it wouldn't have mattered - Bear was the manufacturer. The machine shop where I worked certainly couldn't claim to be that - all we did was run one part through a few passes on a mill.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I disagree. Years ago when I was a machinIst, one of our regular jobs was doing the machine work on the central part (riser) of Bear Archery compound bows. Bear didn't do the aluminum casting (one subcontractor), the machining (two) or the paint (three).

But they designed it, subbed out the work, did the final assembly and quality control, handled sales, shipping, customer service and warranty.

They "owned" it.

They could have done all the work in house, but it wouldn't have mattered - Bear was the manufacturer. The machine shop where I worked certainly couldn't claim to be that - all we did was run one part through a few passes on a mill.
That's different than buying from a company that makes the campers. I am not knocking them either but they should not state we manufacture these campers if they are buying them from another co..
Kevin
From an earlier post..
Cave camper doesn't actually manufacture the camper so they dont really do the research and developement for shape and construction. Those campers are made by another company. we have those same camper in kelowna canada. They are definitely not made to be aerodynamic but serve a purpose of off road medical services for remote area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94