Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 CrewCab Expedition Build in Canada

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Camping with friends.
28471916_10156249363221974_2555422738659941098_n.jpg

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
It's great to see you out using your truck so much. I have a questions about the "marker lights" that you have along the top of your habitat box (on the back). Are they reflectors or lights? If they are lights, did you run the wiring inside the fiberglass corner extrusion? We are currently starting to think about our habitat wiring.

Thanks,
Michael

P.s. I just check out Benny & Tanja's page. It looks like they are on a great trip. I can't wait to get our truck on the road.

Victorian

Hey Michael,
Those are LED marker lights. I got them in stock if you need some. Still need some amber ones at the front...
The wiring is run partially inside the Fiberglass extrusions. Entering the inside of the cabin at the top rear corner. I installed a cover that blends in very nicely with the interior. Could have run the wires all the way inside the extrusions but thought it's a good idea to keep them kind of excessable for repairs/add ons down the road. Hate having stuff buried....

Tanja and Bennie are in no rush right now... The weather on Vancouver Island is getting nicer and warmer by the day, while the rest of Canada is still in deep freeze.

Cheers,

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks great.

And nice to see someone install an awning at a reasonable height :coffeedrink:

Are you getting any flack yet about your cute little tires? :)

Victorian

Looks great.

And nice to see someone install an awning at a reasonable height :coffeedrink:

Are you getting any flack yet about your cute little tires? :)

The idea with ARB awning is to have it at a regular height that will allow us to use the room enclosure. Why on earth would you mount an awning higher up? How much shade from the sun and shelter from the rain would you get?

Don't get me started on the tires LOL.... They are already bigger than original... I also think, if the engineers at Mercedes thought that bigger tires would be great idea, they would have done it. Keeping everything as close to stock configuration means that everything will work in harmony by keeping uneccassery stress off the chassis. After all, I'm not going for the "monster truck" look. I want a reliable, easy to get parts, efficient vehicle.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey Andreas, thanks for the ARB awning idea. Just looked at the ARB Aluminum 2500mm and it looks to be just what I was looking for. One question, how did you mount it to your panels? I saw on the ARB video they have a captive bolt head track, but in your case it seems like it would be better to bolt it right to the wall.

Victorian

Hey,

We had that awning on our jeep before and kind of like it. It also gives us the opportunity to clip in the add a room to create extra living space. You could mount it with an adapter plate that is glued to the outside of the panel or if you know the location in advance, we could embed some structure inside the wall panel to serve as a solid mount.

Cheers,

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Thanks for the info Andreas. I think we will set up an awning just like that. I was planning to bond a wide strip of aluminum to the side of our habitat and drill and tap mounting holes in it for the awning.

How high up did you mount it? When I was looking at awnings before, I was worried that if it was mounted too high up, the legs on the ARB awning might not work right.

Thanks,
Michael

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Those are LED marker lights. I got them in stock if you need some. Still need some amber ones at the front...

I did not know you stocked this kind of part. Do you have a link or spec. sheet you can send? DM me for my e-mail address if it's easier.

Victorian

I did not know you stocked this kind of part. Do you have a link or spec. sheet you can send? DM me for my e-mail address if it's easier.

We have a new website in the making where you can buy goodies that are otherwise hard to get. Goal is to have it online just in time for Overland Expo. Please stay tuned.

Victorian

All done! Well... there is always something to do with an Expedition truck but the big projects are all marked off the list. :) Very happy how everything turned out.

29511934_10156303085116974_4256163112589197312_n.jpg

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
It looks great. I was checking out your roof box on Instagram. Very cool.

I really like the way the ARB awning worked out. The height looks perfect. The awning looks good level like that.

Michael

Victorian

Thanks guys! It's been a fun project. Can't wait to hit the road for some long term travelling with the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles