Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 CrewCab Expedition Build in Canada

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
All Extrusions are cut and fitted. The Fein Multimaster turned out to be the perfect tool for that. 16388358_10154996070451974_5352339721992194353_n.jpg16406761_10154996070346974_7714321054876247243_n.jpg

mhatakka

Nice job! The curved outer shell looks great. Have you decided how to make curved custom extrusions for the corners? 3D printing maybe?

Markus

Victorian

Actually I have been thinking about that idea all day... I will probably have them made from steel... We would like the box to be demountable and the best way to attach the jacks is along the corners. Will take a template soon and get a local metal shop do their magic on it.

familyvan

Adventurer
Victorian,
Looking awesome! It is great to see your panels in use.
out of curiosity could you build a cab over camper with your panel kit?
Thanks!

Victorian

Hi,

With the help of two awesome friends we dryfitted the roof today! Now I need to get the interior figured out and run wires before we can do the final assembly. Hope to be able to do this before I'm heading to Germany for a business meeting at the end of the month.

@familyvan:
Head over to http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/162823-2011-4x4-F450-Custom-Camper-Build/page3 . One of our customers is currently building a cab over camper.

Cheers,

Victorian

Important info for anyone importing a vehicle into Canada!

We commissioned a company in Holland to prepare and ship our 4x4 Sprinter per container to Vancouver Canada.
The container arrived a couple weeks ago and was denied entry. Reason: soil contamination on the truck.
To my understanding, the truck was cleaned before it was loaded.
Canada is understandingly very strict about invasive species and has no other option other then SENDING IT BACK TO EUROPE!
There are no cleaning companies in all of Canada that have permission to do a hazmat clean up for these type of imports.
I have seen pictures and the amount of dirt was minimal..... Location of the dirt was hidden behind the front bumper.
Not only will this be a HUGE extra expense, it will also delay everything by months!

In any case, if you are planing of importing or even crossing the border in Canada with a dirty vehicle, think twice! They wont let you in.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Crazy... sorry to hear of your trouble. Hope the shipping company steps up to assist with the costs and delays.

Victorian

Crazy... sorry to hear of your trouble. Hope the shipping company steps up to assist with the costs and delays.

The shipping company promised me to look into a solution that would work for both of us. ...
In any case, great lesson to be learned here!

shirk

Ouch that sucks. I wonder how all the right hand drive imports come in? I guess they are well detailed in Japan for loading them up to come into Vancouver. Assumption that the guys bringing them in also learned this one the hard way by having one or two sent back.

Might be good to have the cleaning process and state of the vehicle documented before it goes into the shipping container this time. Present that to customs before it travels across the ocean again.

Victorian

Ouch that sucks. I wonder how all the right hand drive imports come in? I guess they are well detailed in Japan for loading them up to come into Vancouver. Assumption that the guys bringing them in also learned this one the hard way by having one or two sent back.

Might be good to have the cleaning process and state of the vehicle documented before it goes into the shipping container this time. Present that to customs before it travels across the ocean again.

Over the last two weeks I talked with several importers and they all learned their lessons... They are all now paying big $$$$ to get them detailed before shipping.

shirk

Over the last two weeks I talked with several importers and they all learned their lessons... They are all now paying big $$$$ to get them detailed before shipping.

My brother and my dad have brought in motorcycles and snowmobiles from the US to Canada. Not so bad there if they decline you entry, just turn around and find a pressure washer.

How will it delay your project? Did you have a set timeline you were working towards for a trip?

If you are looking for a thought diversion I have a question about your FRP panels and corner extrusions? Would they be suitable to make a Four Wheel Camper type pop up slide in clone? The base box and roof seem simple enough but can they be joined to support the cab over bed?

Victorian

My brother and my dad have brought in motorcycles and snowmobiles from the US to Canada. Not so bad there if they decline you entry, just turn around and find a pressure washer.

How will it delay your project? Did you have a set timeline you were working towards for a trip?

If you are looking for a thought diversion I have a question about your FRP panels and corner extrusions? Would they be suitable to make a Four Wheel Camper type pop up slide in clone? The base box and roof seem simple enough but can they be joined to support the cab over bed?

It will pretty much screw up our summer travel plans. I will also need to extend the lease for our temporary shop at a great cost.

Pop up camper question:
We are getting lots of requests for that. Unfortunatelly, we don't have a perfect solution for pop up constructions. Our panels would certainly work well but our extrusions wont. You could build an external frame out of Aluminum and then adhere the panels cold bridge free from the inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz