2017: the year of the lightweight ADV motorcycle

b jeepin

Adventurer
I bought a pair of versys x300's

And I'm happy!

So here's my quick version on the versys, first do as I did and throw the factory tire in the trash and outfit it with a proper dual use tire, I chose twinduros.
The bike has a nice fit and finish, only area bit weak that was appearent out of the box is the rear fender license plate parts, wonderful plastic that finds itself rattling around all the time when off pavement
In addition your ******** and the seat will not be best friends, but shorter rides say under 60 miles aren't bad but if your talking all day on there you'll be shopping seats or pads.
Handling is agile, power is smooth and builds, brakes feel balanced and more than adequate, clutch pull is featherlight.
To comment on previous, the suspension on road is responsive and comfortable, off pavement I was surprised by how well it soaks up gravel and dirt tracks at slow and especially higher speeds. I was comfortable at 50 mph on a very rough rocky road, was predictable coming in and out of traction and never felt disconnected in my ride.
That being said it's not long travel, if you want to ride like your on a dirt bike you'll bouncing up and over everything it's not going to take you there.
It's a good choice for weekend warrior riders, I'd call it dual sport or adventure class once you add respectable tires. I traded up from a tw200 and it's definitely more capable overall.
I plan to add some more info and video content in the future so I'll keep some real life info posted

MrWesson

Adventurer
You can make a Dual sport bike an adventure bike and with enough welding and chopping an adventure bike into a dual sport.

Labels cloud everything on this forum from dual sport to overland vehicle..

I have a 250L a V-strom 1000 and a KLR650. They all cross over into each others domain enough that I could use 1 in place of any other 2 unless but I don't suck at riding. They all fall within a comfort zone though.

Adventure bike is a bike you take on an adventure. Anyone here trying to pigeon hole one bike into a corner doesn't get out enough.

b jeepin

Adventurer
You can make a Dual sport bike an adventure bike and with enough welding and chopping an adventure bike into a dual sport.

Labels cloud everything on this forum from dual sport to overland vehicle..

I have a 250L a V-strom 1000 and a KLR650. They all cross over into each others domain enough that I could use 1 in place of any other 2 unless but I don't suck at riding. They all fall within a comfort zone though.

Adventure bike is a bike you take on an adventure. Anyone here trying to pigeon hole one bike into a corner doesn't get out enough.

I like your logic! Apparently all I've ever owned is adventure bikes?
Had tons of adventures when I waS younger on big wheel mopeds and ct70 etc

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
My input this subject is..... this thread is pointless... literally was excited to open it and read good info, but has to be the most worthless thread i have come across in a long time... oh yeah here is a picture of my dirt bike.....
dd6abc2e7cbb8c876571b3f438a22311.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MrWesson

Adventurer
My input this subject is..... this thread is pointless... literally was excited to open it and read good info, but has to be the most worthless thread i have come across in a long time... oh yeah here is a picture of my dirt bike.....
Good idea lets fix it. Some of mine.

Zq6eypRl.jpg

Dont ride a big bike with small bikes or this may happen lol.
HzjYhvZl.jpg

oRJ6roFl.jpg

hdpuyIbl.jpg

bZ5Dyuyl.jpg

aUu8iI2l.png

x5qFinll.jpg

If you're not fallin you're not riding.

As to the subject of lightweight adv bikes(loose term) I've got real world owner feedback to give on the XT225,CRF230L, CRF250L, XR650L, and KLR650. The weight on paper doesn't always tell the whole story.

MrWesson

Adventurer
The challenge is for the manufacturers to then keep the seat height low enough - my wife is only 5' and is short in the leg as well, so her old XT600 was pretty good with a 31" ish seat height. It's getting replaced with a WR250R which again has a lowish seat height.

One other bike that isn't mentioned, and seems like it is taking forever to come through to the market is the Royal Enfield Himalyan, again in the 400cc-ish bracket.

I'm 5'6" so I have a similar issue with bikes. From my experience most of the lower bikes simply reduce ground clearance with seat height so that makes a case for buying a tall bike and having it lowered to fit(you'll end up with the same clearance after). The XT225 had very very impressive ground clearance with a 30" seat height but the rest hover around 10".

Here's some I've owned and a few i've had long seat times on.

WR250R seat height is actually pretty tall @ 37" but the bike is one of the lighter ones in the segment so it doesn't feel that bad. The DRZ400 weighs the same and has the same seat height for what it's worth. To be clear I don't think the DRZ is better but I do think it's as good if you don't mind a carbed bike and you can get them much cheaper(I prefer the extra CC to the refinement of the WR).

I'm currently riding a CRF250L which has a 34" seat height and much more friendly for shorter people than the WR250R(250L has weight down low but more of it). Unless your wife is a MX rider the 250L is all she'd need and with a few mods it pulls the same as a WR250R(stock).

The XT225 is down on power but not as much as you'd think. It was one of the most manageable bikes and crazy lightweight(230lbs dry). Mine would hold 75mph with a fatty on it. The suspension couldn't handle the fatty though. This bike was alot of fun and I miss it. I never hesitated to run it through a huge mud hole or obstacle because I could just hop off and drag it out.

CRF230L is pretty much the same bike in feel to the XT225 but slower(had both). More suspension though. The 250L is simply a better bike in all situations and you don't feel any of the weight unless you pick it up or have to drag it through mud.

TW200 Very cool bike and we have alot of sand here so I liked the wide tires. It has a very low seat height(maybe the lowest) but lacks HWY speed.

XT250 is actually an overlooked bike with a 6" lower seat height compared to a WR250R. It's a trail bike but has no problems holding hwy speeds. My only seat time on one is after a buddy wrecked bad and I had to ride his bike back to his house for his trip to the hospital. Bars were bent but I came away a little bit impressed for a trail bike. This bike is the "update" to the XT225 but lacks a 6speed and might be a tad slower due to weight.

Not recommended bikes

KLR650 is simply too top heavy even though it only has a 35" seat height. I shaved mine down and i'm considered very strong(built like a short bodybuilder) and had trouble with it sometimes. I would absolutely not recommend this bike to her.

V-strom 1000. Only a 33" seat height but gave me fits due to the weight and wide seat. This is a bike for guys over 5'10"(friends under this had similar trouble)

XR650L Simply too tall she'd be climbing it like a tree. I'd personally like to own one lowered an inch or 2. This is my riding buddies bike and I've got alot of seat time on one. Love the torque.

KTM 690 enduro. Even taller than the 650L. I found this bike a let down actually. It was my "dream bike" and although I could see why people would want one i'm not a street hooligan so the extra power in my area isn't needed(tight sandy trails).

I've had short rides on some dual sport bikes but they don't stand out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra