D.I.Y Light weight sleeper using D.I.Y rail top components

opp

Observer
As easy as it may be to make rail top components with the tabs . It is a little harder to get the right gap on the sides.
I have teamed up with a Manufacture . Who Process is compression that dose the same style of rail top pieces. They use no tabs on the top and sides only on the bottom .
It use the same cut and hing for Manufacturing the pod shells.
Now the side infill goes behind the components
Will shed water like your roof . So will be doing the same two together to which is better.
Pictures are posting now I believe

opp

Observer
What I found was MS Colorfast45 steel roofing comes in 28-by-120 inches

http://www.metalsales.us.com/agricultural/ms-colorfast45#.WMs78THLeIo

http://www.metalsales.us.com/agricultural/products/colors-finishes#.WMs86THLeIo

Received today. There’s 7 trailers been built using the D.I.Y. rail top with the tab..

I have preformed two outer rings using the manufacturer trailTop fiberglass modular trailer building components

Using the cut and hinge. The two TrailTop fiberglass trailTop fiberglass modular building components are 120 inches long. Too cut,bend. lay the fiberglass on the joints under 90 minutes .The home-made rail-top components . The other Seven trailer's were built from is bigger on the side wall and top .I know the side will be faster with trailTop fiberglass modular . Just cut close and glue drop.

opp

Observer
https://www.facebook.com/559145214287263/videos/639108436290940/
The rail-top is on the right .It's D.I.Y. using HD. 1/4 lath to make a side tab.
The manufactured TrailTop fiberglass modular building component is on the left .
It dose not use any tabs the skins go under the TrailTop fiberglass modular building component / Composant de construction modulaire en fibre de verre Trailtop .
Its a small amount of work to place skins on the out side tabs. On the RAIL-TOP it's easier to cut skins first then cut the fiberglass

https://www.facebook.com/559145214287263/videos/644376695764114/

Last edited:

opp

Observer
Some thoughts on using steel sheets. Weight the manufacture info was .6 pounds per square foot. Found it to be .9 pounds per square foot. Must be all the coating. If I use the molded fiberglass with 1.5 mat 7oz woven then one mote of 1.5 mat is .4 pounds per square foot. But when the windows and doors are cut out that will reduce some skin weight.

opp

Observer
Fix all the damage from having a 18 wheeler back over the pod shell. Set on a frame . Will need to finish windows
I have all the pod frame pieces to finished.It needed two profiles to do.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

opp

Observer
Trying to do two styles in one post get a little confusing. So will do one at a time. Every now and then will post pictures of manufactured Trailtop fiberglass modular building component build.Where the skins goes under the Trailtop fiberglass modular building component's

So will finish the D.I.Y. rail top modular building component's With the taps
have moved the doors to the sides . Had I started on the passenger side there be one door.The doors are baggage doors so on the light side.
Using the same D.I.Y, tooling .That performed for the side skirt and roof bends. Place a one - by- one . To get a 90% to beef up the doors
When adding the side piece .Did the bonding in two steps .Bonded the tabs .Then the rest . That way the tabs line up

attachment.php

attachment.php

opp

Observer
trailer 002.jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php?attachmentid=406173&d=1497997479[/IMG]

Progressing on my trailer
now using 13" wheels . For this trailer used the same Modular fiberglass component for the bottom skirt to box the doors. Using 3 bath scales as it's setting .With 13's on 204pounds.

Last edited:

opp

Observer
Sorry no up dates .Remolding house .Where I worked at was pushing for this to be done has lost interest. The TrailTop" modular trailer building components are so easy to do D.I.Y. Least two are selling on eBay. Even one on amazon. Any place that dose fiberglass fro terracotta will have this. This has been done for sixty years. So at this time will do a sock from the doors back. Are may sell what I have. Tooling. 1524cm at 304cm length and 1524 cm of flat stock.

opp

Observer
As I planed to walk away. Now I have some help . The reseller of TrailTop" modular trailer building components has informed me " will supply every thing that is needed " to complete. Will stop by one day per week to help finish it. so here a shot of what was done today

opp

Observer
As the rail top where D.I.Y used Home depot ¼” lath. Cut and hinge was not use. So in my hit and miss. The opens where not parallel. This left me at a lost.
As this way of building is over sixty year old. So all bugs have been work out. Was informed the best way to proceed.
Line up one side. Install two rivets. With a small amount of pressure to be removed. Then let rest of sheeting over hang rest of open space. Then trim to space.
sheeting 011.jpgsheeting 012.jpgsheeting 013.jpg

opp

Observer
Now trying to push forward. Ready to start four more one with teardrop shape. 3 square shape. Using premade Trailtop modular trailer building components. Cost 25% more than making railtop modular trailer building components my shelf
We use thin roofing sheeting .Some kids beat the wall in. If I glue in the foam may standup better.
I have decided to use fiberglass for the back sides with 1'' foam.
Found a builder that built the same Faison in the 70's.He said the foam/ fiberglass work better than a heavy steel frame that many are building with now.'' What are they going to carry on top a tank ‘'?
The light flexible frame works better than steel. Wood can rot. Using this with woodply you never nail in to end grain.
I used regular pop rivets .They have a blub in the center to stop water with a little sealant.
The next move is to adding tiny galley in the back with swing up hatch.
driver side.jpgtraile rback.jpgtrailer side clean.jpg
trailer side teardrop016.jpgtrailer side.jpg

opp

Observer
Have decided to do all inside with fiberglass not as poor man fiberglass this is to be used as a rental. This way it can be steamed cleaned .The RV rental has a bad problem with bed bugs and
sarcoptic mang Scabies! Bedding can be placed in oven at 195 o/o for 20 minuets to kill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles