STREGA'S 2016 Ram 3500 cab/chassis adventure truck build

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Good to hear from you Doug. Call me and catch up sometime. I had planned to head down to Southern Utah tomorrow but Rosa put a stop to that. When it dries out I will be heading that way for a couple of weeks.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I just read through this whole thing. I wonder why they derate the CC trucks GVWR so much. My 2014 3500 SRW 4wd has an 11700 GVWR.

STREGA

Explorer
I just read through this whole thing. I wonder why they derate the CC trucks GVWR so much. My 2014 3500 SRW 4wd has an 11700 GVWR.

Has to do with the truck registration cost, if the truck weighs under 10K the cost for a business to register it goes way down. The truck is capable of hauling more than it is rated at. Other things a lot of people don't take into consideration is the axles and spring pack ratings of a particular truck.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Has to do with the truck registration cost, if the truck weighs under 10K the cost for a business to register it goes way down. The truck is capable of hauling more than it is rated at. Other things a lot of people don't take into consideration is the axles and spring pack ratings of a particular truck.

I realize that. Most manufacturers give an option for a 9900#GVWR when you build for that exact reason. I'm just surprised that Ram does not give the option for a heavier GVWR on the SRW C/C.

STREGA

Explorer
Well another year has come and gone and don’t have much more to really add unfortunately. The last year has not gone the way I had it planned at all, a lot of medical issues kept me from getting out during the 2nd half of 2018. 2019 plans went out the door early spring when my wife’s father got seriously sick and eventually passed away and I have developed more health issues myself again, oh well that’s the way it goes sometimes. We did use the camper for a motel room for 2 weeks while we were in California dealing with the father in law it came in handy since the nearest motel would have been about 45 minutes away from her parents house. We did manage to spend 1 night at Death Valley on our way back home though not nearly enough time there it was still nice to be all by ourselves for a short while and De-stress a bit.

All that said and with my ongoing health issues we are having to make the super hard decision to sell the truck/camper and go a different direction although I’m not100% sure what direction that is yet. We did inherit a 2002 Chevy half ton Silverado 4x4 extended cab Z71 that has less than 31K on its odometer, headed back to Cali next week to get it. Can’t say it is my dream truck and don’t have any plans for it other than to use it as a DD for awhile and the fact that is not big enough to tow our travel trailer it will more than likely become trade in fodder for a bigger truck down the road.

I will be putting a for sale ad here on the Portal soon, if interested PM here and we can chat.

MTCK

Observer
Sorry to hear about your FIL and health issues. Good luck with the sale and I hope the half ton serves you well.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Doug I thought you’d keep that truck forever. Sorry to see you selling. Good luck with the sale and with your back issues.

I think I told you a group of ROFs are doing the Maze in September. Really wanting to see that place.

Ace

STREGA

Explorer
Sorry to hear about your FIL and health issues. Good luck with the sale and I hope the half ton serves you well.

Thank you. The Chevy will fill the gap and get us to our next vehicle, the low mileage on it is a bonus.

STREGA

Explorer
Doug I thought you’d keep that truck forever. Sorry to see you selling. Good luck with the sale and with your back issues.

I think I told you a group of ROFs are doing the Maze in September. Really wanting to see that place.

Ace

Ya me too, really hate letting it go.

The maze is a must do, going to be a little warm in September but hey you’re old farts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke