STREGA'S 2016 Ram 3500 cab/chassis adventure truck build

STREGA

Explorer
Truck weight with the Bundutec camper on, water tank was empty, 20lb propane tank was full and no camp gear (except sleeping bags), Full tank of gas.

Gross weight: 9120lbs

Steer axle: 4160lbs

Drive axle: 4960lbs

The drive axle finally has more weight than the steer axle (800lbs). Have 880lbs left before I hit the max GVWR OF the truck. Bundutec weight came in at 2140 lbs which was about 100lbs less than predicted by builder.

Durango

Adventurer
That's one of the many reasons for getting a regular cab for me, crew cabs are great for carrying people at the cost of proper cargo weight distribution. The truck with camper on feels very balanced and handles well on the road.

The clearance between the cab and camper is a bit tighter than I wanted. Two things I do have going for me is that the cab over is only 36" long as opposed to the 72" a crew cab camper has and a cab/chassis frame is stiffer than a pickup truck frame which should mean less flexing from both. I will be keeping a close eye on it for sure.
I'm close to ordering a 2018 chassis regular cab very close to your configuration, Strega, and putting a FWC Grandby on it with a custom 20" aluminum garage between the cab and camper. Exactly how much space do you have between the cabover and the roof of your cab?

BTW, really appreciate learning from your build and how you have reached out to me personally in the past too!

Steve

STREGA

Explorer
Your setup came out awesome! As a fellow 6.4 owner I'm glad to see you getting those numbers, Im getting that about stock with my camper shell on a 2500 with 3.73 gears. Someday i'll regear for bigger tires/increased wind resistance i.e.. camper of some sort. Looking good!!
Alex

Thanks Alex. Did another MPG check that was closer to a 50/50 city hiway mix and I'm seeing right at 10 mpg average. See that your from Paso, my wife grew up just North of you in San Ardo.

STREGA

Explorer
I'm close to ordering a 2018 chassis regular cab very close to your configuration, Strega, and putting a FWC Grandby on it with a custom 20" aluminum garage between the cab and camper. Exactly how much space do you have between the cabover and the roof of your cab?

BTW, really appreciate learning from your build and how you have reached out to me personally in the past too!

Steve

Steve thanks for reading my build thread and glad it's been helpful for you. I only have about a inch of clearance at this time and if I have any issue with it touching the cab I will have to raise up the camper. By the way I have a build thread for the Bundutec camper on the pop up camper threads here on the Portal, I need to do some updates on it though. If you haven't pulled the trigger on the FWC yet you should give the Bundutec a look.

Doug

Durango

Adventurer
Steve thanks for reading my build thread and glad it's been helpful for you. I only have about a inch of clearance at this time and if I have any issue with it touching the cab I will have to raise up the camper. By the way I have a build thread for the Bundutec camper on the pop up camper threads here on the Portal, I need to do some updates on it though. If you haven't pulled the trigger on the FWC yet you should give the Bundutec a look.

Doug
I spent a lot of time on your thread this weekend and on the Bundetc site. As a carpenter I'm fine with wood even though I still would worry about long term vibration. And i can live with the approx. 600# weight increase over the Grandby. But I'm not liking their down the middle aisle and rear entry configuration. What we love about the FWC flatbeds is when you enter at the side turn left and you have the sitting area. Center standing/cooking and RH bed. It doesn't sound like much but makes a huge difference in livability.

I know Bundetec does minor customizing but doubt they would design a whole new camper for me! I will say thier price point is very appealing! One thing in their favor is bed thickness. How thick a mattress would fit up in the cabover? (Sioux is sooooo tired of the FWC mattresses!) maybe I should call them...

Steve

Durango

Adventurer
And hey Doug, after driving your Ram Chassis Cab what would you have ordered differently? (forgive me for overwhelming you with questions!)

1. Manual shift transfer case? I like the "simple factor" but many are pushing me for the "shift on the fly". I will say in five years of tough off road use my 2012 Ram's "shift on the fly" has been flawless.

2. Aisin tranny. I'm happy to pay the 1600.00 if it is a substantial upgrade. Not trying to cut corners on this truck.

3. Adequate power with the 6.4? (I'm assuming Dodge is still throttling the power down for 2018 on the chassis cabs.)

4. I like the 4.44 gearing. I have the 3.73 rear end now and sure would like to crawl more on trails. But how is it at 70 mph?

5. Did you get any of Dodge's U-Connect packages?

6. Any other options to delete or add? Within reason I'm trying to "do this right". :)

I'm still torn a bit between either the Dodge or the Ford Chassis cabs. (Chevy doesn't have a SRW Chassis Cab.) Sioux likes the Ram cab better than the Ford but still dislike the "bulbous hood" the Ram designers put on the 3500's to make it look 'tough". And the Ram doesn't have lockers as an option.

Difficult choices but so much fun!

Steve

STREGA

Explorer
And hey Doug, after driving your Ram Chassis Cab what would you have ordered differently? (forgive me for overwhelming you with questions!)

1. Manual shift transfer case? I like the "simple factor" but many are pushing me for the "shift on the fly". I will say in five years of tough off road use my 2012 Ram's "shift on the fly" has been flawless.

2. Aisin tranny. I'm happy to pay the 1600.00 if it is a substantial upgrade. Not trying to cut corners on this truck.

3. Adequate power with the 6.4? (I'm assuming Dodge is still throttling the power down for 2018 on the chassis cabs.)

4. I like the 4.44 gearing. I have the 3.73 rear end now and sure would like to crawl more on trails. But how is it at 70 mph?

5. Did you get any of Dodge's U-Connect packages?

6. Any other options to delete or add? Within reason I'm trying to "do this right". :)

I'm still torn a bit between either the Dodge or the Ford Chassis cabs. (Chevy doesn't have a SRW Chassis Cab.) Sioux likes the Ram cab better than the Ford but still dislike the "bulbous hood" the Ram designers put on the 3500's to make it look 'tough". And the Ram doesn't have lockers as an option.

Difficult choices but so much fun!

Steve

Sorry for slow response Steve but Sunday mornings are the only time I can play on the Forum. As to your questions here are my thoughts:

1. Had the electronic transfer case shifter on my 2015 Ram and it worked fine but I just like a manual shifter (even though I prefer auto transmissions go figure!). Actually it was one of the things that caught my eye when I was looking at the truck on the dealer lot, except for the Power Wagon it was the only one with a manual transfer case shifter.
2. Get the Aisin, you won't regret it.
3. The 6.4L Hemi is the best gasser I have ever owned (so far only have 11.5k on it) it puts the 5.7L to shame and I liked that engine as well.
4. 4.44 gearing works well with the Aisin and 6.4, 80 mph was doable but the sweet spot was around 70 mph which for me is plenty fast.
5. Being that I have a Tradesman trim level it has the basic U-connect. I'am not much of a techie so it is just fine for my needs.
6. Since I did not order this truck I got what it came with but it had what I really wanted the most. The one thing that would be nicer is a larger fuel tank.

Either the Ford or the Ram would make a great truck for you, I'am just not a Ford kind of guy for reasons that may or may not be reasonable. I like the looks of the Ram over the Ford or GM, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

STREGA

Explorer
Many thanks, Doug. Your reply solidified things for me. I'll keep you posted.

No problem Steve, happy hunting on the perfect truck for you and Souix. Also glad to hear you talked to Bundutec about their campers, I'am sure they can build you what you want. If you can get down to the Grand Canyon I would be more than happy to show you our Bundutec.

Doug

Durango

Adventurer
One question, Doug, I have the (confused) luxury of ordering the Ram just like I want it. Definitely a mixed blessing...

So does your Ram have the 180 amp alternator (standard), the 220 Amp (195.00) or the dual 380 amp alternators? (395.00) My current Ram has the 220 amp alternator. Would there be any reason for the dual alternators? We do frequently change camp every day so maybe give faster charging? (I've confessed on here before I am an electrical dummy.)

STREGA

Explorer
One question, Doug, I have the (confused) luxury of ordering the Ram just like I want it. Definitely a mixed blessing...

So does your Ram have the 180 amp alternator (standard), the 220 Amp (195.00) or the dual 380 amp alternators? (395.00) My current Ram has the 220 amp alternator. Would there be any reason for the dual alternators? We do frequently change camp every day so maybe give faster charging? (I've confessed on here before I am an electrical dummy.)

Mine had the 180, if I was ordering a truck I would probably get the 220. For what I'am doing I don't think the dual alternator is really needed.

STREGA

Explorer
Another piece of the puzzle we recently acquired and one of the reason for this truck build.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 297 RTST that is 34' long and has a GVWR of 10K lbs. which puts it well under the trucks 17K+ tow rating and 4K under GCWR so I should be good to go. I originally was looking at getting a Toyhauler but could not find one that suited all our needs. So far this trailer has been super comfy and is well made compared to most RV's out there.

STREGA

Explorer
Last August was the 2 year anniversary of our 2016 Ram, it had a tick over 22K on the clock. For most of the 2nd year the truck has been hauling our Bundutec camper every where we go, since I have no intention of ever removing the camper off the truck. This of course effects the fuel mileage some but I have been seeing a average between 11 to 12 mpg and a couple of times almost 13 mpg. I see those #'s at speeds at 65-70 mph which seems to be it sweetspot. Head/side winds will kill those #'s by up to 3mpg depending on how hard the winds are blowing. The good news is that the winds especially the side wind does not effect the handling of the truck very much, sometimes I have to look at the trees on the side of the road to know how hard the wind is blowing. Also when passing on coming semi-trucks on 2 lane roads I don't get moved around very much if at all unlike other vehicles I have driven. I believe alot of it is due to the 10K weight of the truck/camper combo and the lower overall height of the popup camper vs a taller hardside camper. The stiffer rear suspension/frame of the Cab/chassis probably helps in this also.

That same stiffer suspension that makes it a stellar on road machine makes it a not so great forest service corrugated dirt road cruiser. Airing down does help but it is still a rough ride, slow speed is required. I'am looking into suspension mods to help it's off road performance but I still need it to have good hiway manners and the ability to tow our 10K trailer. Talked to the AEV guys at the Expo this year and so far they seem to be the only ones who do a kit for a 1 ton cab/chassis truck, they claim it would help the ride of the truck without changing it owing ability, although I'am not sure how since it doesn't change much on the rear except lift it up a couple inches. Still running the stock shocks so a change to a better quality shock absorber should help as well, just don't know which one to get yet. In a few months the camper will be paid for and at that time I will get serious on fixing up the suspension.

The thing I love the most about this truck is the 6.4L Hemi and Aisin transmission combo that you can only get with a cab/chassis. With the 4.44 gears this truck accelerates/goes uphill like a ... well you know what even with the camper on, need more power just step on the gas and let the engine rev, Hemi's making power sound awesome! Of course fuel mileage will be harmed in the process but I didn't buy this truck because I wanted to get big MPG's. I haven't towed a trailer larger than a 2K lb. teardrop yet but it didn't slow me down much going over Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado. I'am sure our 10K travel trailer will slow it down quite a bit going over the same pass but it will tow it over the pass without killing the truck, I'am OK with that. The other thing about going uphill is getting safely down the other side and that is where the Aisin tranny will shine, drop it down into the 2nd or 3rd gear and it will hold the truck and trailer. There is also a tow/haul mode switch on the dash that changes up the shift points that match up better to the extra weight.

What do I not like about this truck? I can't really think of anything that I'am unhappy with, would I like to get 20mpg? Yes, but that ain't gonna happen. I did have 2 recalls on the truck this year which is never good but neither were that big of a deal, One was to replace the shift pin lockout on the shift column (mine was working just fine when it was replaced) apparently some were shearing, replaced with a better quality pin. The other was to flash the computer for the cruise control, was advised to not use the c.c. until it was reflashed, again mine was working fine when they did it. Also for some reason the battery went bad (I think it may be because it did sit on the dealer lot for much of the year in 2016) it was replaced under warranty.

I find the truck to be comfortable to drive for up to about 8 hours in a day, then I start to get tired but I feel that has more to do with my age than the truck my days of going for 16 hours are long gone. The overall lenght of the truck is about 20' which makes it pretty nimble for a full size truck in city traffic and on backroads. The wife is mostly comfortable driving the truck even with the camper on, she prefers not to drive in the city with it but she was a small town girl growing up and has never really cared for driving city traffic much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior