Utility trailer camping pod?

rsrozewicz

Sized up my 5x8 trailer for the Removable Camper.
Going to add some legs to allow the ramp to be used as a deck.
I have enjoyed your posts.
Where could I get a set or camper kit??

rsrozewicz

Sized up my 5x8 trailer for the Removable Camper.
Going to add some legs to allow the ramp to be used as a deck.
I have enjoyed your posts.
Where could I get a set or camper kit??

Yebro

Thanks all for the links, pictures and ideas.

Jscherb really nailed what I was looking for. Not just a camper on a utility trailer but one that is removable as well.

I hadn't thought of doing a slide in truck camper either. I'll definitely be looking into that as an option as well.

It surprises me that there isn't a bigger market for this. Seems like utility trailers are a dime a dozen. Creating a camping box that could slide on and off depending on how you want to use the trailer should be fairly straightforward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Here we are five years later. Did you ever find one? Did you build one? I'm asking because like you, I'm wanting exactly this.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Some of the fiberglass components that would be used to build these concepts are now in production: https://trailtopcampers.com/, and the company is looking at offering more of the components soon.

Landscape2_zps14f8a470.jpg

TiltUp2_zps8rjkiejo.jpg

RackLoaded_zps7da741b9.jpg

For the record: I am not part of the company that's manufacturing and marketing these components. I designed the component system, built the prototype/proof-of-concept trailers pictured above, and then the company licensed the component designs from me. I don't sell anything.

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
18 months ago I made this setup. I drive a Jeep TJ so I built a small utility trailer to be the same track width as the TJ. It is also the same width as the TJ. The box is the same size as a full wide short bed pickup box - 6.5 ft long and @72 inches wide. Then I purchased a pickup tent from Kodiak and mounted it on the box with boat bimini hinges so the tent just lays down during transport. It takes less than 15 minutes to setup or take down. The interior has a queen size bed and mattress and a porta-pottie inside. The tent is very tight in the wind and highly water proof like all Kodiak tents.
pict (3).jpg

1556581894053.jpg

Jeep and trailer in S BC summer of 2019.jpg

PM me for more build information.

Vince

billiebob

I built mine out of used crap I had sitting around. I had the trailer. I spent $200 building it. If I had bought all the wood and paint new, it would have cost $800.

DSC_0057.jpeg

Best feature, zero setup, zero pack up.
Park in the dark, roll into bed. Wake up to rain, roll out of bed and drive.

Yebro

Some of the fiberglass components that would be used to build these concepts are now in production: https://trailtopcampers.com/, and the company is looking at offering more of the components soon.

Landscape2_zps14f8a470.jpg

TiltUp2_zps8rjkiejo.jpg

RackLoaded_zps7da741b9.jpg

For the record: I am not part of the company that's manufacturing and marketing these components. I designed the component system, built the prototype/proof-of-concept trailers pictured above, and then the company licensed the component designs from me. I don't sell anything.

Yebro

18 months ago I made this setup. I drive a Jeep TJ so I built a small utility trailer to be the same track width as the TJ. It is also the same width as the TJ. The box is the same size as a full wide short bed pickup box - 6.5 ft long and @72 inches wide. Then I purchased a pickup tent from Kodiak and mounted it on the box with boat bimini hinges so the tent just lays down during transport. It takes less than 15 minutes to setup or take down. The interior has a queen size bed and mattress and a porta-pottie inside. The tent is very tight in the wind and highly water proof like all Kodiak tents.
View attachment 635971

View attachment 635973

View attachment 635976

PM me for more build information.

Vince
That's a great solution. Looks good!

Yebro

Wow, that website has some well thought out products for the self-builder and the process is very well explained. Obviously, if I stay with my plan to build something that slides in and out of my existing trailer, the bottom would have to be quite a bit stronger and possibly have some sort of skid plate. Thank again for the link and pictures.

billiebob

mounted it on the box with boat bimini hinges
Something over looked are marine fittings.
High quality often stainless steel and often way better priced than anything RV.
I'm looking at marine fittings for 2 awnings on my OSB BOX.

billiebob

does anyone know of a manufacturer of a "box" where you can supply your own trailer?
You are talking about a small truck camper.... you just need a "trailer box" to match the "pickup box"
There are hundreds of choices new or used. Think used and 60 years old and work forward. You'll get the full kitchen for free.

These were more popular in the 1980s than RTTs are today.
And the ones for sale are often pristine garaged their entire life.

Buy the best, most complete one you find.
You'll get propane, lighting, cooking, refrigeration virtually for free.
New bedding and fabrics and it'll be better than anything built today.... for $1000 or less.

From a 1980s Toyota thru a 1980s F350..... these slide in camper boxes were mass produced.... and no one wants one today lol.

ps, this Toyota is one of the best in service today. Kudos to the guy keeping it active and preserved.

9307BCBC-C457-49E6-B674-1EF275A70C3E.jpeg

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Theres always the Jumping Jack trailer. I have the original Life Time Tent Trailer. Its great but the negatives are can be a long setup / tear down if your camping and hauling stuff. On the flip side it gets used as a utility trailer more often than a camp trailer. Currently it does the Jr sailing program trip once a week.
Two Queen beds outside the 4x6 floor. Also sets up as a high sided utility trailer. Picture is low deck mode with A frame boats racked on it.

Attachments

• 2C3B4FE6-EAC9-47A5-9868-DB639CA54871.jpeg
    2C3B4FE6-EAC9-47A5-9868-DB639CA54871.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40

alia176

Explorer
Just an opinion here but given that there're lots of choices of popup trailers, why not use one of them as a foundation for a nice build? I know that popup campers aren't sexy but they offer a decent bang for the buck factor, IMHO. You can exist inside them with heating and air conditioning while towing them rather easily. Having a baby sort of tilts the scale toward the need for more comfort, not rugged. If there's a strong need for an offroading unit, I'd simply ditch the ************ frame they come with and DIY a nice frame then sit the camper on top.

When my daughter was one year old, I was in the same boat. I did the calcs and factored in my time and effort to build a camper from scratch. While I can fabricate anything, making up the canvas system was going to be expensive due to it being farmed out. So, I opted to buy a 2002 Kamparoo Weekender Transcontinental Pack and started making memories right away. I think it cost $6500.

I then spent the next 12 years making the camper more suitable for our needs while we continued to make great memories. While this style of camper allows you to exist inside, we only did that when the weather turned to crap. It towed easily and easily accommodated a pack n play. Our Rottweiler slept inside or in the back of the SUV. The pack n play got switched out with an adult cot on which my daughter slept.

Do keep in mind that utility trailers are light duty and make ************ offroading trailers. Their leaf springs are short and not supple and they're meant to carry weight from home depot to your home, not get beat on washboards or bumpy trails for hours.

Again, these are just my opinions, no disrespect meant. Good luck with your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94