1997 K2500 Sub- Expedition Build

Yroundrdn

Observer
Roof Work Day

The rust on the roof was looking worse and worse so I tackled that project. My intent was to keep the roof rack and just paint but of course, the 20 yr old bolts broke off in the roof so out came the sawz-all and off came the rack. So now I have a roof rack build coming next.

As for the paint, I have no plans to enter this vehicle in a show or contest so I used 36 grit to sand off the paint and 100 grit to smooth things out. Then off to HD to buy some Rustoleum Enamel. I have sprayed this on before but didn't want to spend that much time so I bought a fine roller and went to work. I chose the flat paint just to do something different on the roof.

Before:
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

After:
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

I was happy with one coat but will do a second coat next weekend when I do the hood.

Next up I'm doing a roof rack that will hold the spare, my solar panel, hi-lift, shovel, axe and an awning.

Uncle Fester

I am going to follow this one with the 454ci “Gas Sucker” option. As of right now, mine is stock with the exception of 2002 Silverado wheels (so I was told), 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain KO2s and removal of the third row seat.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I would say your truck looks great after your paint job Yround. It also looks like you had fun on your last trip. Thanks for posting up the cool pics. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Yroundrdn

Observer
Quick note on the paint, DONT use the flat. Everything sticks to it, scuffs and looks rough. I will be doing the hood in a gloss or semi gloss

Yroundrdn

Observer
Roof Rack

Jumped in with both feet on this one. I picked up the basket on CL for $30 and did one of my typical design as you go projects. I went with 2" steel on each side which allows the cross members to clear the bow in the roof by 1/2". I chose the electrical mounting rails for cross members so I can mount what ever I need anywhere on the rack. It was a simple set up but serves the purpose well.
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg

The solar panel will be mounted permanantly in the front. I was going to keep it portable but havent needed to take it down on our trips. In front of the solar panel I may mount a 50" light I have laying around.

I was able to get the tire, jack, shovel, axe and a gallon of oil on top and still have plenty of room. When not being used I will cover the tire to keep it from rotting. This really opened up a lot of room inside.
Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg

I still need to install the solar panel, run the wiring, install an awning and put some back up lights on but for now this will work for our upcoming trip.

Yroundrdn

Observer
Time for an update. Given the new crazy California laws, I had to mount a gun safe to the truck for "legal" firearm storage. It tucked up under the bed and behind the fridge so not visible unless you know where to look. And yes, I know it can be opened with a screw driver but it does keep the politicians happy.

Last edited:

Yroundrdn

Observer
Next I wanted to make room for a "real" fridge. So, all recovery gear was mounted to the roof in an old Pelican case I had laying around.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Yroundrdn

Observer
Next I bought an Edgestar Fridge, 63 Quart. These things are GREAT! and at 1/2 the price of others, I am very impressed. To fit it on an uneven surface, I mounted furniture leg hardware to a board and cut some blocks to screw in, and bolts for the other side. It was a quick fix but sits secure and level.

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

The Fridge set in just fine and was plenty secure. I hard wired it to the RV battery in the back. The solar panel keeps up with the unit just fine. I ran it for two weeks prior to our trip.

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpgWebp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Yroundrdn

Observer
Took a 5 day trip to the vintage races in Monterey. We got a great camp site from a friend and the burb worked out great. It was sure nice to have the fridge. I strongly recommend it for these overland and camping trips.

I am definitely a Corvette fan but who could resist taking a photo of a couple million dollars of Cobras just sitting there. Each car had to be authentic and have a documented race history to be in the races. Now that's an expensive toy, and a lot of fun to watch. Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94