Steerable Trail Trailer

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Here you can compare the new spare tire position. Looks like it's going to work well.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to rotate the picture on this Forum?
I tried rotating the original in my computer then downloading it again and got the same sideways picture.
Sometimes it doesn't make any difference which way I turn the camera. And I never know which way it's going to turn when I download it here.

Oh I forgot to add that those huge wheel well holes will have removable covers on them a lot like fender skirts with Jeep Style rubber flairs on them.

Attachments

• 20161208_164532[1].jpg
    20161208_164532[1].jpg
    514 KB · Views: 47

Coachgeo

Explorer
Here you can compare the new spare tire position. Looks like it's going to work well.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to rotate the picture on this Forum?....
Damn that loooks good.

Pictures... use a photo edit program to do the rotate then resave. Or you can do it online with a photo editor then resave. Below are a few online versions

http://www169.lunapic.com/editor/?action=rotate
http://www.convertimage.net/photo-size-editing-tools/online-picture-rotate-tool.asp
https://en.inettools.net/app/image/index/4

PS- not recommending any particular online source nor have I vetted them to see if they attached nasty things to the image file.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Retook some shots to see if I could flip them over.

Attachments

• 20161209_113551.jpg
    20161209_113551.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20161209_113540.jpg
    20161209_113540.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20161209_115357.jpg
    20161209_115357.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 47

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
So once the back kitchen wall was up adding the framing for the cabinets went up quick.
And since the sink was already sitting in the shop I put it where I thought it needed to go.
The rest of the plumbing for the shower and ability to drain dictated the position of the sink.
Made a heck of a deal for a folding hot/ cold faucet off a shipwreck on the Great Lakes.

Still searching for the right Formica color for the counter top.
Everything is screwed in so far, so popping the counter top frames out for cover them is going to be simpler.
My neighbor owns a cabinet shop so it will be done very professionally.

Attachments

• 20160830_210529[1].jpg
    20160830_210529[1].jpg
    544 KB · Views: 52
  • 20160921_161754[1].jpg
    20160921_161754[1].jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20160921_161840[1].jpg
    20160921_161840[1].jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 50

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Spent last evening talking to a wooden boat building buddy of mine about how best to seal this camper and make it not only water proof, but also strong. He has some good advice. Unfortunately there was too much information to post up here.
So I'll give you some cliff notes as I go along with the build.

He did decide to donate some sealants and coating to the project. (He volunteered, honest!)
Seems this stuff has a shelf life and a "use by date" and he has no current working projects to use it on before that date. SOooooo he's giving it to me! YEA!!!!!!

Going to do it a lot like they did on this boat.
(Only I'll be painting the outer camper walls. But do not despair, the interior will be coated with the wood grain showing like in the video.)

Here's the Video to give you an idea.
http://www.awlgrip.com/support-and-advice/product-videos.aspx

And we discussed different ways to cover my counter top. More on that later!
(But it's going to be different and cool.)

Speaking of that, here's how that progress is coming along.
The upper shelf will have a door over it made out of wooden shutters.

And the Kitchen will be exposed wood grain too. (Other than the lower counter top.)

Getting a lot of hits, but very little criticism, so I'm hoping you guys are liking this build.

Attachments

• 20160926_193623.jpg
    20160926_193623.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 43

Redman333

Adventurer
This is freaking awesome!!!! I love the idea of the flip top. This may be something I want to do for my trailer idea. Question for you. The flip top, will it be something you could use in the closed form if you wanted to. As in it's just you and get in to camp late and just want to sleep and not open anything up. I'd imagine it could be but figured I'd ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
This is freaking awesome!!!! I love the idea of the flip top. This may be something I want to do for my trailer idea. Question for you. The flip top, will it be something you could use in the closed form if you wanted to. As in it's just you and get in to camp late and just want to sleep and not open anything up. I'd imagine it could be but figured I'd ask.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory I could sleep one person on the floor on a Thermarest. But two bodies side by side is not going to be possible. I've been kicking around several ideas for lifting the roof hatch electrically, but the weight penality may NIX that idea.

My build has two large semi tall fenders for the IFS suspensions shock towers. I will build those fender boxes up more and make two small dining room seats. With under cushion storage! Much like the Booth seating in RV's, only for 2 persons. One across from the other with drop down table.

I suppose I could cut the cushions bottoms and backs and make it into a sleeping platform for a kid!

Now with that in mind, do you remember the 2 pole canvas bed that Shasta Camper trailers had back in the 50's and 60's? Yes, I slept many night in those back in the 50's.
I'll be using a similar set up across the back of the camper for my 6 YO grandson to sleep on should he want to go with me and Grandma! Actually his parents are tent campers, but he may want a better warmer/ cooler bed with no rocks under his mattress.

This is an incredibly cool project! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you! It's been fun, but been a real problem trying to explain to the wife why I keep rushing past her to the Brown truck in the driveway and not letting her see the receipts for the stuff I'm buying for the build. I only open the boxes in the shop. :)
I'm a firm believer in "Ignorance is Bliss" when it come to her.
She's an accountant, and has no creative imagination.

Very impressive, unique and got lots of cool one offs!! Sure interested in how this is going to finish. J

I'm trying to keep it different! I've always marched to a different drummer.
Was shopping for "Marine Grade Paint" today and the look on the guys face was priceless as I tried to explain the project to him.
I eventually just pulled out my phone and showed him the build.

Definitely not going to be two in any campground or Off Road Rally I stay at.:Wow1:

Curtis

Coachgeo

Explorer
....Thank you! It's been fun, but been a real problem trying to explain to the wife why I keep rushing past her to the Brown truck in the driveway and not letting her see the receipts for the stuff I'm buying for the build. I only open the boxes in the shop. :) I'm a firm believer in "Ignorance is Bliss" when it come to her. She's an accountant, and has no creative imagination.
Happy wife..... happy life!! Glad to hear she's active and working again. Never thought she jump from Education to Accounting, but now think of it..... sorta makes since.

I'm trying to keep it different! I've always marched to a different drummer.....Curtis
You? Different Drummer... nahhhhh.. no...... never... lol. Must be why we get along pretty well. Glad to see you out buildng something that is taxing your creative juices. Can guess it's been frustrating as hell tied down like you've been last year or so. Look forward to more post on your progress.

Subscribed

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Yea is been tough. Actually I'm just posting up pictures of the slow progress that i made this summer on it.
Got this other project working now that some much needed parts got made.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Bought a 12 volt dc/ 120 volt ac 40 quart freezer that was on sale. Apparently it was the last one they had. (Dorman 40 qt.)
Plugged it in and it started to cool, so I thought great. And turned it off. Got busy doing some building around it's dimensions and built a 500 lb capacity slide out for it to set on. Thought it turned out well and fit real nice under the counter top.

But once in place I turned it on a second time to test it by setting some ice cream in it. It quit working, as in never started cooling down, and has never worked since. Not even a scratch on it and all I did was take it out of the box twice.
I called the Company I bought it from and, loooooong story short, got a full refund.
Had to buy a different more expensive brand. And larger by 3 quart capacity. ( Edgestar 43 qt.)
Which meant the counter top is too low and the other slide out drawers I'd built had to be redone.
Oh well, live and learn.

Now I have two.
My friend the AC repairman thinks he might can fix it.
I got a full refund because it was warrantied to work out of the box for 12 months. Since it was their last one they didn't even want it back. Said I could keep it and if I could fix it then I could keep it. If not, I could dispose if it any way I wanted to. They were nice about it, but wanted to haggle the refund amount. We eventually worked it out.

I've got ice cream in the new one and it's been working perfectly for two weeks straight now.

Attachments

• 20161015_211702.jpg
    20161015_211702.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20160930_152146.jpg
    20160930_152146.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 33

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Your build looks alot like mine did, by that I mean tools and whatnot lying all over the trailer: )
Looks great though, keep it up, cool build!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
One of the main reasons I haven't installed the fancy smancy counter top. Been using the counter top for a tool and screw box table while I cut, shave, drill and sand everything on my Craftsman Work Mate Bench right next to the trailer.

I'm having fun as long as the wife doesn't see the peanut butter jar full of receipts.
I'll add it all up later. So far I'm still on budget!

If you could see my desk you'd understand how Albert Einstein would feel right at home.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Last we met I showed you pictures of the 40 QT Doorman Freezer that didn't work out of the box more than 2 minutes. So here's the comparison of the Edgestar 43 QT replacement to the smaller Doorman.
Edgestar on the left and Doorman on the right!

Next picture shows the left pot and pans drawer bottom mounted on the 80 lb drawer slides.
I later added the box to the base and found that with the sink drain where I wanted it my left slide wouldn't go all the way to the rear of the compartment. So I cheated rather than cut it off. This only cut my slide length down by about an inch. Plenty left since I actually bought a slide lengths base on the depth of the compartments rather than the length of the drawers.
And the right side drawer is for the cooking and eating utensils.

So the 3rd picture shows how nice the Doorman fit under the counter. But the bigger replacement freezer, being about 4 inches taller created some issues.

This meant I had to raise the counter top up 1.5 inches for the new freezer to fit under it. Shame too, because the smaller freezer had so much room around it. What a shame too because I was going to add a slide out cutting board under the counter top. OH Well! I can't go up anymore without having to make the trailer kneel, because the wife is on the short side. And I don't relish building her a patio to stand on just to reach the counter top.

And lastly here's a picture of the back end with the drawers built and installed. Above the Pots and pans drawer is where the switch panel will be located. Since I'm using Marine Grade switches and such the close proximity to the sink should not pose a problem. Tomorrow I'll show the first version switch panel and the newer version I had to make for the taller counter top.

That bigger freezer sure messed up some good ideas. I had a nice drawer lock down for the freezer slide. Plus if you look close you'll see the right side utility door where the propane hose for the stove will store and the water pump access is behind that drawer. The drinking water hose (Shore Water) will store above the propane tank box behind that utility door too!

Well gotta run, got some other projects to get one today.

Happy New Year YA"LL!

Attachments

• 20161112_104834.jpg
    20161112_104834.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 38
  • 20161018_151700.jpg
    20161018_151700.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20161026_183805.jpg
    20161026_183805.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20161015_211630.jpg