Please talk me out of my irrational desire for a Disco

Boss Hog

Observer
Incredible story. Congrats & Happy New Year! When a brand or model gets in your blood, you'll move Heaven & Earth to get the right one. Good for you Goony goo goo!

Longtallsally

Adventurer
And here is the engine bay. I mean, I know the dealer cleaned it up, but wow.

IMG_1836-X2.jpg

IMG_1837-X2.jpg

IMG_1839-X2.jpg

Longtallsally

Adventurer
As an aside, do you have Ridgebacks?

Yes we do. Wonderful mutts. Sadly the day after Christmas we has to put down out older one as the tumors were just making his quality of life really bad. Lots of tears and lots of memories. That's all I have to say about that.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
On a happier note- or funny at least- the Disco adventure continues to be par for my expectations. I think its absolutely hilarious.

I was so excited for the airbags...

IMG_1844-XL.jpg

And it gets better... My wife mentions to me, “hey I think there might be a leak under the Disco”. “Are you sure it's not from the old one?”

Ah but no, it is the first leak. The master cylinder has tanked. And I've not even driven it since getting back! Oh well, just adds to the list of stuff to do before I drive it. I did confirm it has Dexcool as well so that needs to be flushed too.

Boss Hog

Observer
I'm very, very sorry for your loss. I have dogs, but had to put our cat down last Tuesday. Brought me to my knees! I can only imagine...

Longtallsally

Adventurer
He was the ring bearer in our wedding, if that gives you an idea of how special he was to us.

Keeping things on happy notes, I managed to flush the coolant and do a good bleeding. I'm adding a bottle of Water Wetter too as a means of keeping temps at a good level.

I also totally removed the center stack in prep of the stereo install and also to replace the pop out cup holder mechanism, clock, and HVAC control panel, and add in a spring to one of the vents. It is so nice to get an unmolested machine as you can truly see how things were done OEM and see how they are supposed to be done.

This weekend I'm hoping to get the ACE system bled with a new filter and possibly the tranny fluid flushed, but I suspect I'll work on getting the dash put back together before the tranny.

All that will be remaining to get it road worthy after that are:
- air bag for the rear (and ironically it has held for the last couple days just sitting in the driveway)
- tires
- brake master cylinder

On that note, I'm currently debating getting serious in my diagnostic capability and getting a nanocom. But that is a healthy expense for a tool for something that is a toy, so I'm unsure if I should just yet, but it sure would be nice.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
The hilarity continues. So I've finally gotten the “new” one to DD Status and have enjoyed it a good bit for the last couple days. However, what cracks me up is after I replace both front door lock actuators, I come to realize the rear cargo door one is out. How funny. Then, I took a break from the office and drove over to get the GBR opinion on it, and it promptly started leaking coolant when Bill took a look at it. Just too funny.

Thus far the list of things I've done to the new one (even in all its goodness):
- both front door lock actuators
- fixed cruise control
- installed the stereo
- replaced HVAC control with nicer one
- replaced the clock with a nicer one
- replaced the non functioning cup holder in the front
- fixed the rear center armrest cup holder
- fixed the center seatbelt retractor
- Flushed out the dexcool to 50/50 with a bottle of water wetter
- replaced the fan clutch
- flushed the PS and ACE systems
- replaced some various clips and such
- swapped to the old wheels and tires

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Most all of the “new” parts came from the wrecked truck, so it's not cost me anything other than time. Still left to do:
- tranny drain and new filter
- diff fluid change
- t case fluid change
- replace the condenser fan
- mount the roof rack
- swap in the GBR drive shafts
- adjust the steering box
- get the runroofs working (adjustment I'm sure)
- replace some various lights up front
- replace the tailgate lock actuator
- probably a radiator
- replace windshield cowl
- replace rear airbag

At that point, I think I'm pretty much to a steady state until the next issue comes up. After driving the Jeep for a few weeks, I have to be honest and say I really prefer the Disco for DD duties. I'll throw some pictures up soon to show the progress- although the visible stuff isn't really there yet save the wheels as it's thus far all been just to get it going.

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
So I took a Disco off road for the first time. I was quite impressed. Only a few minutes from the house and totally impromptu, but it is quite capable, and flexes incredibly well.

IMG_1928-XL.jpg

IMG_1926-X2.jpg

I've put a 2” lift in (springs front, spacers for the airbags rear) and shocks all around as well as replaced the leaking airbag in the rear. The ACE system is incredible: low speeds the sway bars disconnect, and at road speeds, the keep in level in cornering. The pics above are not aired down and nothing disconnected. Color me impressed. I've gone ahead and gotten a CDL from an ‘04 to more or less finish it off in the off road Department.

I also replaced the door lock actuatorin the rear and a few other bits as I have time. The only appreciable things left service wise are the radiator swap, remaining fluid changes, and mount the rack. I designed a relay panel I'll be building in the coming month for a few lights to be put on the rack and brush guard, all with factory light switches in the cluster surround.

It's done daily duties for the last few weeks with nary a hiccup. Now for the dumbfounding revelation: I got 17 mpg for a couple tanks!!! The Disco is quickly gaining favor.

Before and after shots for the lift:

IMG_1905-XL.jpg

IMG_1904-XL.jpg

I splurged and got a nanocom for a number of reasons and LOVE it. I've only used it to deflate the bags a couple times, but also set the height with it and can bleed the brakes properly as well. A very cool tool.

I'm hoping to make use of it for quick camping trips with the kids this spring and summer, and may even replace the Jeep as the dirt bike transporter for trips.

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I rarely am on this forum any longer, but thought for anyone looking to take the plunge, I’ll do another installment. The blue one has officially proven itself and I have completely reversed my initial thoughts on the D2 as a whole. I will say that in order to achieve such bliss, expect to do A LOT of work, but once you get to where it has been serviced and upgraded where necessary, it’s as good as any other vehicle.

Proof is in the pudding. We did a family trip of a little over 1600 miles including a hundred or so off road (and quite a bit of low range) in everything from low 50s in CO to 105F when we got off the trail in Moab. Still no leaks, it barely uses oil, and the AC in both units does very well. If I didn't have the Ultragauge to monitor temps, I'd have blown it up about 5 times, though, so anyone that goes by the OEM gauge is on borrowed time. I even towed an employee's car home when it died on him.

I’ve not done too much since the last update:
- repainted the rack and mounted it
- repainted the ladder and rear light guards and mounted them
- Mounted the rack lights
- finished the relay box for lights
- fixed the front sunroof (it was the motor)
- put bumper light guards on
- put a CDL in from an '04
- quickly put together a cheeseball high lift mount
- dodged a bullet and got a new front driveshaft in the nick of time
- Mounted the OEM trailer brake harness

Left to do:
- fix the rear sunroof (the whole assembly needs replaced and I have a good one from the parts truck)
- headliner (just ordered some really cool world map material to use)

I've daily driven it for months and aside from the economy being awful now with the rack on it, I've done nothing but change the oil. Since it has proven itself for any type of use, I'm calling it: as long as you know what to look for, keep a laser focus on temps, and do all the work to keep it maintained, the Disco is as good as anything else. The key to remember, I don't care how perfect, how well maintained, how well loved, you WILL have EVERY SINGLE well known issue at some point.

Some pics for fun...

IMG_2029-X2.jpg

IMG_2180-X3.jpg

IMG_2183-X3.jpg

IMG_2241-X3.jpg

IMG_2271-X2.jpg

IMG_2175-X3.jpg

IMG_2176-X3.jpg

IMG_2277-X2.jpg

IMG_2278-X2.jpg

IMG_2280-X2.jpg

IMG_2284-X2.jpg

IMG_2333-X3.jpg

IMG_2340-X2.jpg

IMG_2369-X2.jpg

IMG_2376-X2.jpg

IMG_2390-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Yeah, it’s been a fun toy and I think I’ll keep it for a while. The practicality is really there as we use it for cerything from hundreds of pounds of crap from Home Depot on the rack, to pulling a utility trailer, to even towing a car home for someone, in addition to hauling 7 people, around.

The relay box was a good bit of work, but it’s just like the SPOD in the Jeep for simplicity and I’m a nut about wiring harnesses. It’s all wired to OEM light switches in a very clean fashion too. I have to admit, I’m kinda proud of the effort.

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
I'm glad to hear you still in love. I make the mistake of buying a lr3 for my wife after years of resistance. 3 years later it is still in great shape, just minor repairs. It has taken us on many offroad adventures without any problem.
The real PROBLEM she just keeps shopping for her next one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles