Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

HowardH

Adventurer
Yes going to singles if I do the MPT81's.

However I remembered the wheels I was looking at are 11" wide..... The Specs for the 275/80r20 call for a 9". I think that may be stretching the tire too much.

Thoughts?

Not really. Seems I have read that wider is better than narrower but who knows. If you go the singles route we will have to meet up and drive the same roads and terrain to compare.

What is the tire size you are looking at?

Howard

java

Expedition Leader
Not really. Seems I have read that wider is better than narrower but who knows. If you go the singles route we will have to meet up and drive the same roads and terrain to compare.

What is the tire size you are looking at?

Howard

The tire guys said absolutely no to the 11" Rim. I am looking at the 275/80r20 MPT81

java

Expedition Leader
DOT should be 13'6"
Ward

You're absolutely correct. Not sure why I had 12 ft in my head. Either way 12 foot 6 is plenty tall. I went outside with a tape measure again last night I could clear a41 in the back with some hacking and probably 2 to 3 in of lift. That would not leave me very much up travel however. I could fit it physically vertically at the moment but it's nearly going to be touching the floor. The front needs to Bumper and Fender hacked pretty good. And that's not even checking turning.

Then there is the needing to re gear....

Healeyjet

Explorer
My 41's rub on the sway bar at full lock. We are running a 2" lift on the Dodge Ram. I agree thought that it is a slippery slope going large! I wish there was a 37 or so that would work for us. I would appreciate the rig looking a little less Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle LOL. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Everything has worked out great for you so far so I am sure this decision will be the same.

Ward

java

Expedition Leader
My 41's rub on the sway bar at full lock. We are running a 2" lift on the Dodge Ram. I agree thought that it is a slippery slope going large! I wish there was a 37 or so that would work for us. I would appreciate the rig looking a little less Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle LOL. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Everything has worked out great for you so far so I am sure this decision will be the same.

Ward

I think the tires on yours fit the size of the rig well!

I really think the 37 is the ideal size.

So either I get custom wheels made in 20x9 and run the conti's. Or I stick with the duals and forget all about singles....

Petrolburner

Explorer
For what it's worth, I'm really leaning towards the long travel 2WD setup, 32” tall tires on stock dually rims to keep cost and complication low. Need money for diesel, time off and retirement planning. How big does the snowball need to get and is it worth it?

java

Expedition Leader
For what it's worth, I'm really leaning towards the long travel 2WD setup, 32” tall tires on stock dually rims to keep cost and complication low. Need money for diesel, time off and retirement planning. How big does the snowball need to get and is it worth it?

Big snowmen are more fun than little ones!

But yes, it's true. I need to do something at this point. It may just be new fronts. But I would like to avoid the situation we had last time with limited traction

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I'm sure it's in you're thread somewhere but what's your weight? The Nitto ridge grappler has a 3970lb load rating in the 37" size in a 18" rim and in the 20" rim. There are other non-commercial or mpt tires out there with higher then expected ratings, just takes reading through lots of tech sheets to find them...
-Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
I'm sure it's in you're thread somewhere but what's your weight? The Nitto ridge grappler has a 3970lb load rating in the 37" size in a 18" rim and in the 20" rim. There are other non-commercial or mpt tires out there with higher then expected ratings, just takes reading through lots of tech sheets to find them...
-Ryan

Hi Ryan, unfortunately I am just over those.... I'm planning on max of 9k on the rear axle. When I was last weighed (not quite finished) I was at 8,040lbs on the rear end.

The other option would be to find a set of 18 or 20" duals and run a more agressive truck tread. But the Ford bolt pattern makes that hard....

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Hi Ryan, unfortunately I am just over those.... I'm planning on max of 9k on the rear axle. When I was last weighed (not quite finished) I was at 8,040lbs on the rear end.

The other option would be to find a set of 18 or 20" duals and run a more agressive truck tread. But the Ford bolt pattern makes that hard....
Are you 8 lug or 10?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior