Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Are you looking at drilling and tapping the 10/32 screws or just drilling and using 10/24 screws and nuts.

I don’t like rivnuts due to the way they protrude above the surface they are going in. They can provide a leverage point that increases the load on the screws. Also stainless rivnuts and aluminum skin can create electrolysis issues.

If drilling and tapping into your skin/struts then definitely 10/32 with locktite and preferably something like Sika 252 or the 3m high strength tape. If through bolting I think either method would work.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Yeah I dont get it... They show up here! Java's F450 'Rough Road' RV
It works for me too...

That being said... awesome pictures! I wish we had mountains like that around here! And it's really cool to see the whole family climbing. Of course, i pointed it out to my wife that your daughter is rock climbing: "If she can do it, so can you!" To which she replied: "And you can dance too!" :cautious:

and this things sways back and fourth a lot

My van swayed a lot from the top too. I think I fixed it with a rear sway bar. But that's just an impression from a really quick test drive... but the van is still at the shop for upgrades. Once I have more dirt roads under it's belt, I'll let you know!

java

Expedition Leader
Are you looking at drilling and tapping the 10/32 screws or just drilling and using 10/24 screws and nuts.

I don’t like rivnuts due to the way they protrude above the surface they are going in. They can provide a leverage point that increases the load on the screws. Also stainless rivnuts and aluminum skin can create electrolysis issues.

If drilling and tapping into your skin/struts then definitely 10/32 with locktite and preferably something like Sika 252 or the 3m high strength tape. If through bolting I think either method would work.
I was thinking a self Tapper rather than Drilling and tapping, but Drilling and tapping is totally doable and fine thread may get more engagement. The thought behind rivnut was just a larger Shank. I could use quarter 20 or a quarter inch fine thread also drilled and tapped.

The #10 is just because I have lots of those on hand, there is a pretty good gap for a bolt head in the Extrusion for the awning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah I dont get it... They show up here! Java's F450 'Rough Road' RV
It works for me too...

That being said... awesome pictures! I wish we had mountains like that around here! And it's really cool to see the whole family climbing. Of course, i pointed it out to my wife that your daughter is rock climbing: "If she can do it, so can you!" To which she replied: "And you can dance too!" :cautious:

and this things sways back and fourth a lot

My van swayed a lot from the top too. I think I fixed it with a rear sway bar. But that's just an impression from a really quick test drive... but the van is still at the shop for upgrades. Once I have more dirt roads under it's belt, I'll let you know!
Climbing is a ton of fun! I do love the area we live in water mountains ocean everything it's great.

That's an interesting thought on the sway bar, the Helwig ones have been on my wish list, maybe it needs to get moved up. After thinking about adding more air to the bags it's just going to increase the spring rate which I really don't want to do.

java

Expedition Leader
Started installing the awning last night. Decided to go with Riv-Nuts.

Got two of the three mounting plates on, drilling the very last hole (of 6) and hit wires. ******** ******** ********. ******** ********.
41696385101_32b6db1ae2_b.jpg

I tested the wires, no 12v, so I thought maybe it was my "spare" run I had going over to the kitchen side. Stripped the end of that and tried continuity, nothing. No blown fuses, everything works still. Said enough for the night and went inside…..

Laying in bed last night pissed off... Thinking about this bull......

I had a brain wave! I ran a wire from the lower cabinets up to where the 120V outlet is on the wall above the kitchen, the original plan was microwave up there, and I though I might need an under cabinet light, so I ran a LV wire between the 120V box and the lower cabinets.

Jumped out of bed, grabbed a roll of wire, strippers and my meter. Boom, that's the wire I hit!! Luckily its not being used..... Maybe be able to separate the strands and liquid electrical tape it. But its not the end of the world if that one ends up being useless.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Maybe you lucked out! One day they will invent X-ray vision, and all our problems will be solved. ?

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Taking notes for my build. Might be worth it to run cable raceways everywhere.
Definitely a trade off, I wanted max insulation possible.

Also a raceway may not have done me any good, depends if I could have even snaked a new wire on the route its running. my main bundle of wires is ~1-1.5" around....

java

Expedition Leader
Wire/hole repair kit acquired. 12v run is a loss..... At least it wasn't one in use.
14b805cdea031dddccbd6040bd2e910d.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Bummer about the 12v run. That’s where the Ambo guys are lucky. If you can work out where the frame box is then you get double thickness and no cables.

java

Expedition Leader
Bummer about the 12v run. That’s where the Ambo guys are lucky. If you can work out where the frame box is then you get double thickness and no cables.

I'm REALLY happy it was simple one I might have needed for the future, not one in use.

I knew where my main hurdle was, just forgot about a big S curve I had to make to get to a receptacle......

java

Expedition Leader
Awning is on. Need to add the brackets for the legs on the wall still. And find a good light step stool, because there is no way in hell I can reach the legs from the ground! (thats an 8' step ladder in the pic)

27848249968_cf067dd9e9_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz