Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
After dumping and cleaning..... See the crack? Looks like it flexed too much and that was the thin spot. Go back 30 pages or something and there is discussion about this blowing up in the middle of no where in the middle of the night.....
27384168467_b6fdd064d8_b.jpg

Took a piece of alu tube, and a half a tube of 3M 5200, hopefully that not only glues the crack closed, but reinforces the edge of the tank there..... Metal tape is just keeping gravity to a minimum while the 5200 dries.
28381147798_e81dd20607_b.jpg

While I was waiting for the tank area to dry after cleaning.... I added a POL tee to the propane line. That gives me a high pressure connection for anything, I can run an outdoor stove, BBQ or the firepit off the main tank now.

27384165167_eeb5a738c4_b.jpg

Works dandy! However I am not sure I trust the sending unit on the propane tank.... It still says 3/4 full. We only use it for cooking and hot water, but I have not filled it since I installed it.
27384167587_8dec1008b7_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Wife is out of town, which means I can stay up late working on the truck after the kid is in bed.

So I finally added a desperately needed latch to the kitchen drawer. Blue tape has been sort of working to hold it closed.

27409547047_62e9dfd77a_b.jpg

Pulled the metal tape off as it was really slowing the cure, and the 5200 has set up enough to not sag out of the joint. Not pretty, but hopefully it holds together.

28407202728_cdc84fb45a_b.jpg

Then started to install my tank gauge. I got sick of trying top figure out how much water was left. Its a SeeLevel gauge, sticks on the outside of the tank, can also read the sedning unit on the propane which will be nice, and I could add a sensor to the black tank if I feel like it too.

Sensor cut to length for the tank.
28407193488_3d19d83861_b.jpg

Made a little shelf to hold the gauge unit. In stalling it under the bench seat at the moment. Not sure I want it up next to the Tsat and battery monitor. Debating.
28407192958_85321d1d8a_b.jpg

Realized ti was late at this point and I was out of 18/2 to wire it, so I put the plumbing back together and went to bed.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Wife is out of town, which means I can stay up late working on the truck after the kid is in bed.

So I finally added a desperately needed latch to the kitchen drawer. Blue tape has been sort of working to hold it closed.

27409547047_62e9dfd77a_b.jpg

Pulled the metal tape off as it was really slowing the cure, and the 5200 has set up enough to not sag out of the joint. Not pretty, but hopefully it holds together.

28407202728_cdc84fb45a_b.jpg

Then started to install my tank gauge. I got sick of trying top figure out how much water was left. Its a SeeLevel gauge, sticks on the outside of the tank, can also read the sedning unit on the propane which will be nice, and I could add a sensor to the black tank if I feel like it too.

Sensor cut to length for the tank.
28407193488_3d19d83861_b.jpg

Made a little shelf to hold the gauge unit. In stalling it under the bench seat at the moment. Not sure I want it up next to the Tsat and battery monitor. Debating.
28407192958_85321d1d8a_b.jpg

Realized ti was late at this point and I was out of 18/2 to wire it, so I put the plumbing back together and went to bed.
Pretty cool tank gauge.

java

Expedition Leader
Mate the answer to your leaking black tank is a composting toilet. Gets rid of the freezing issue as well.
Maybe if it blows up again.... Wife was not thrilled about the idea. I looked at them when building the truck originally. Freezing had been a non issue, just flush with a little anti freeze.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Wife was not thrilled about the idea.

Mine was not that thrilled either. So very cautiously I explained if I’m the one doing the cleaning/dumping I get to pick the toilet. If she wanted to pick the toilet them she gets to do the cleaning/dumping.

Funny thing was listening to her showing it to people at expo over the weekend and explaining how good it was.

java

Expedition Leader
Wife was not thrilled about the idea.

Mine was not that thrilled either. So very cautiously I explained if I’m the one doing the cleaning/dumping I get to pick the toilet. If she wanted to pick the toilet them she gets to do the cleaning/dumping.

Funny thing was listening to her showing it to people at expo over the weekend and explaining how good it was.
Yeah I am sure mine would have no issue once used to it.... But I'm not going down that battle road just yet. I'm hoping the goop fixes it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
What kind of actual solar values are people seeing? This is a "100w" panel (which I think is really 80) not ideal angle or anything.
3549b9dba3336f8cf8a06db9fa91f62e.jpg
5dd30096c2400bc44d1c81e500472419.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Even though the charge controller is in bulk stage, the battery voltage is almost up to 13v, so the battery already has a pretty high resistance.

Ultimately, it is the battery's resistance which will throttle the amperage flow rate, and the solar cannot produce more than the allowed flow rate. Even if the panel could produce 100w, it won't if the battery is only allowing 52w to flow.

Looks about right to me.

And that shaded cell on the upper right isn't helping. Shaded cells become heating elements burning some of the power produced by the other cells.

java

Expedition Leader
Very nice weekend relaxing in the truck. Just in a CG, but it was nice none the less.

Set up our glamp site. Grabbed an aluminum "screen/shade" thing, works pretty slick for keeping the temps down.
42433782691_ca4e2d6a10_b.jpg

Did lots of cooking in the Dutch Oven. Biscuits, pizza's, Cake.
28560795918_7c2aaab0f8_b.jpg

41531349685_724210fb57_b.jpg

Spotted this fire flare up, headed over in the boat and got to watch the helicopter dip the bucket over and over, it looked like they saved all the houses though! Probably started at the road, luckily there was not much fuel.
28560816558_e94525b205_b.jpg

28560858598_9da0022f3c_b.jpg

41710453814_22d1c0cc1a_b.jpg

Cozy little cabin.
28560882488_b5f13caa8e_b.jpg

Now the bad news. My front tires are feathering, pretty sure this is new (we have put 10k miles on the truck, have not seen it yet). I did hit a couple pot holes HARD last week. Nothing obvious, but I may have knocked the alignment out.
Or the radius arm bushings have given up the ghost.
41710429194_6f6eef083d_b.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I am reading this on the phone so I cannot clearly see the photos. So if your problem is scrubbing of the tread in a single direction then disregard the following (actually it’s still relevant but not for the symptom you are showing). If it is uneven wear across or between the tread blocks check the following.

Have you done any testing to see you are running correct tire pressure. Chalk test or heat buildup check. The other potential cause could be balance or wheel bearings but usually you notice those through the steering wheel.

As a good starting point for tire pressure go to the manufacturer with your specific vehicle weight (individual wheel weight if you can get it or axle weight at a minimum). They will give you the recommended tire pressure to run. Some manufacturers will have this info in the tire guide or there you will need to approach directly.

With the Michelin XZL on the Yella truck I found that I had to run about 10% more than Michelin said for my weight to stop the feathering on pavement.

java

Expedition Leader
I am reading this on the phone so I cannot clearly see the photos. So if your problem is scrubbing of the tread in a single direction then disregard the following (actually it’s still relevant but not for the symptom you are showing). If it is uneven wear across or between the tread blocks check the following.

Have you done any testing to see you are running correct tire pressure. Chalk test or heat buildup check. The other potential cause could be balance or wheel bearings but usually you notice those through the steering wheel.

As a good starting point for tire pressure go to the manufacturer with your specific vehicle weight (individual wheel weight if you can get it or axle weight at a minimum). They will give you the recommended tire pressure to run. Some manufacturers will have this info in the tire guide or there you will need to approach directly.

With the Michelin XZL on the Yella truck I found that I had to run about 10% more than Michelin said for my weight to stop the feathering on pavement.
It's all towards the outside edge, and the outside rib is wearing the most.

But now that you mention pressure, I did increase it, by 5-10 psi iirc (before the previous trip). I went off the load chart from Toyo and my axle weights. It's at 80psi in the front.

I am Going to try to measure toe this evening (just basic tape measure....) I had a good whack last week at 30mph ish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier