Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Im only in page 10 of this build, but I thought this might help with the Webasto altitude decision.

https://faroutride.com/webasto-espar-high-altitudes/

Not so worried about btus/gal, just cleaner burning. I'd like to fill with kero or jet A when heading for altitude.

Anyone have any other ideas on gad tanks or places to stash them?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Thanks for reading!! :D

I have seen those, however Webasto just wants you to calibrate the fuel flow... They don't have a high altitude module. Note mine is 20 ish years old Too.

So to combat this as best I can I run jet A for fuel. Burns cleaner than diesel. I am hoping this keeps the cleaning intervals down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trestle

I haven't calibrated mine yet, but "calibrate" is really just turning up the combustion fan speed so that the thing runs leaner. You should be able to do that with the rheostat type controller if it plugs into yours. No idea if it can or does. Supposedly they are fine up to about 5k feet of frequent use, then you need to adjust them for frequent use at altitudes higher than that. Since I am pulling from the fuel tank, vs. an aux tank, I don't have the option of running jet A or kerosene.

I finally just caught up with this page. It's been really fun reading, and living vicariously through some of your trials and tribulations.

All the best...don

java

Expedition Leader
I haven't calibrated mine yet, but "calibrate" is really just turning up the combustion fan speed so that the thing runs leaner. You should be able to do that with the rheostat type controller if it plugs into yours. No idea if it can or does. Supposedly they are fine up to about 5k feet of frequent use, then you need to adjust them for frequent use at altitudes higher than that. Since I am pulling from the fuel tank, vs. an aux tank, I don't have the option of running jet A or kerosene.

I finally just caught up with this page. It's been really fun reading, and living vicariously through some of your trials and tribulations.

All the best...don

Yeah, I just don't have a co2 meter, and I would need to be constantly adjusting it, home is at sea level basically. Luckily most of my time is not above 5k really. I would say 3/4 of the winter in under that, then generally under 7k for the rest. I am hoping the Jet A helps enough.

java

Expedition Leader
Springs V2.0 arrived. They are the right length, but.... They are pretty different. No extra wrap on the leading end, and one less leaf? Thoughts?

New:
44177364602_86c8a18ba8_b.jpg

Old:
28729335307_e6d037775a_b.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We would always specify the military wrap on any springs ordered for our mine vehicles. But those guys were extremely hard on vehicles.

So my suggestion would be if they sent the wrong ones again send them back. If you ordered wrong I would use them.

java

Expedition Leader
We would always specify the military wrap on any springs ordered for our mine vehicles. But those guys were extremely hard on vehicles.

So my suggestion would be if they sent the wrong ones again send them back. If you ordered wrong I would use them.
There was no spec I spec'ed for thr mil wrap, but the first set came with them.... (on the leading side anyway) I thought the second would as well. Maybe with just how they build 450 vs 150 springs.

Fatboyz

Observer
I grabbed my truck from the shop today. New springs installed. I don't have a pic but they fit great. Mine is a 550 so don't know how different the 450 is.The pic below is my springs and they are the heavy duty F550 ones rated at 8000lbs each side.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 52

Fatboyz

Observer
Did you use one of the kits? did you do the entire floor? That's my plan too. going to try and do it while the box is off the truck.

java

Expedition Leader
Did you use one of the kits? did you do the entire floor? That's my plan too. going to try and do it while the box is off the truck.
Yep, one of the kits from Foam it Green. Did everything I could. Missed the spots above the tool boxes. Off thr truck would have been 100% easier!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles