Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

Fatboyz

Observer
I thought so too. tool boxes and propane tank off too. I'm planning to do the inside myself too. I hope I don't regret it!

java

Expedition Leader
OK guys opinion time.... Its Fall, I need to figure tires out.

Singles are not in the budget at the moment. So options are Spend good $$ on Toyo M608's to match the rear for the fonts. (~$832)

Buy cheap Chinese tires for the fronts. (~$382)

Or step up to Chinese 245's all around. (~$1350)

So opinions, is the step up to a 245 worth it? 1" taller, 3.4% larger rolling diameter is not going to drop much highway RPM's, 1.5" wider may give slightly more traction (and more wander in the snow/slush?)

Tires for reference for anyone who cares....

Toyo
23.jpg

Milestar Tire
_5.jpg

Fatboyz

Observer
I was looking at Chinese manufacturer called Wind Power. The oilfield trucks (550's) here run them in a 245 70 19.5. They look decent and the guys like them for snow and mud. Price for 7 installed here was $2300.00 but tires here are more $ than the US. They are a WDR34. Link below. Since I still have a year I'm still researching the MRAP singles, or the new Toyo that just came out. They're pricey though, $3800.00 for 6. That's why I'm still looking at MRAP and Conti's.
http://www.windpowertrucktires.com/WindPower-Catalog.pdf

Wyuna

Observer
I'd always go the better tire, its the only thing keeping you to the tarmac.

I'd just get the Toyo's, buying real cheap tires is a false economy,

If you have had good results with the current Toyo's then you know what to expect.

If you have cheap tires on a company vehicle with a wheel changing contract its not an issue, compared to being out in the middle of nowhere with the kids.

Thats just my view, and i'd just keep saving for the $$$$$ single tire setup.

java

Expedition Leader

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Pity I’m not further through the 4WD conversion. I have 6 5000 mile old Goodyear’s that will be surplus.

But out of all the options I think the Toyo’s. I have a buddy that runs them on logging trucks and swears by them. And being really kind to him I would call him “frugal” ( or in Australian “ he’s as tight as a fishes ******** and that’s water tight”)

Actually let me check with him. He is in Oregon and may be able to hook you up with his supplier. I take it you are running 225s.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior